Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Rattling Noise under the G37, bought 5 days ago (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 AM
ko3r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattling Noise under the G37, bought 5 days ago (video)

So I bought this G37s used at 42k miles, 2008, automatic a couple days ago. Before buying it, I test drove it, it ran smooth, literally nothing was wrong with it. But every time I got out the car there was a rattling noise. I told the dealer to fix it and before I drove it off the lot they did. Now every time I drive the car fast (60-100mph), than I come to a stop and I hear this rattling noise for about 5 minutes or so (it's really noticeable). Also when I rev the car up on park i can hear something shaking a little bit and my friend was like when you floored it, I heard the rattling noise over the exhaust so it's pretty loud. I have bumper to bumper warranty and powertrain warranty. What should I do? Take it back to the dealer or to an infiniti dealership?

The video you about to see is when I floored it, hit probably 90mph and than I drove it in my neighborhood for about 2 minutes at 5mph and than parked. I recorded it from under the driver door (where most of the noise comes from), than moved to the front and you couldn't hear it, so moved back to the driver door. The noise is much louder when you floor it and come to a stop at a red light. My friend says is your exhaust rattling, I'm going to be switching my exhaust soon but I'll rather get it checked out before I do.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3rQ...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 AM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like a exhaust rattle... Take it back to the Dealership ... if you dont want to use that same one... dont... its still under warranty and any other dealership will cover yet fix it... sorry on the rattle especially after 5 days... these G's are great cars.

Good luck.. post up when they find out what it is...
Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Simba989

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It might be something as silly as a loose heat shield or it may be your exhaust baffles going bad, a common problem for the G37 (there is a TSB). If its your heat shield, just take it off the exhaust, if its the baffles and you're out of the warranty, here's your chance to find an exhaust you like.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM
My37s0805

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey that really weird I just bought mine I also had the dealer look at it and nothing. They said it stopped well it now is doing the same noise. I just bought an axel back because I wanted to not because of the noise. I was going to get it looked into tho by someone else. I cant tell what it is either but its weird how I just bought mine too with same problem and min is an 08 with 58k. If you find out please let me know and I can do the same for you im not on here much so here is my number you can text me 847-502-3551
Old 05-30-2013, 05:07 PM
My37s0805

Also I dont know if mine is louder when I drive I havent heard it and I do go fast alot and havent been told from my friends around me ethier I will pay closer attention.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 AM
ko3r

I called the infiniti dealership and they said my warranty won't take effect until 30 days because it takes some time to process since I got the warranty from another dealership. I asked him what do you think it is? He said it could be anything, maybe the heat shield. I've been researching this and A LOT of people say there is a "tsb" and that it might be the muffler or the heatshield. Now I have a question, if there is a "tsb" and I have a warranty with a deductible of $100, will the infiniti dealership fix it for me for free because there is a tsb or will i have to pay the deductible? I will be switching out my exhaust...so what's the point of paying the deductible if I'm going to change the exhaust anyways? If it's free, I'm down haha.

Buying a whole new exhaust will fix everything, correct?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
rlaskqfP
Registered Member

Mine does that most of the time I park my car and turn off the engine. I'm not sure if I I can hear it while driving, but I'm pretty sure I can hear it after turning off the engine. Let me know if you find something out about it, I'll research it too and let you know if I find something.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
There's a number of heat shields on the stock exhaust. Chances are one or more of them are loose. The noise you're hearing is this (these) shield(s) vibrating. It's not a mechanical issue per say, but more of an annoyance.

The noise you hear after shutting the car off is that of hot exhaust metal contracting - this is different from the OP's issue.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 AM
My37s0805

Originally Posted by Jsolo
There's a number of heat shields on the stock exhaust. Chances are one or more of them are loose. The noise you're hearing is this (these) shield(s) vibrating. It's not a mechanical issue per say, but more of an annoyance.

The noise you hear after shutting the car off is that of hot exhaust metal contracting - this is different from the OP's issue.
I agree because I hear after I stop at a light for example idle or if I go through a drive through. I just replaced my mufflers with an axle back but I can still hear it so I will have to check the heat shields
Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM
My37s0805

anything ever happen with this?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM
infinitiman96
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue! Pretty sure its a heat shield and not the muffler. Sounds like its coming from somewhere in the middle of the exhaust system.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 AM
xdarkgokux

Any update on this?

Is it a serious problem? I found out I am in the same boat.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 AM
08skyline

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
On 2008 G37's the mufflers where stamped together and not welded so after time they would start to rattle the only fix is to replace the muffler if you have warranty they will replace it if not you can replace the muffler off of a newer G37. There is a TSB on this issue with what vin are affected.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM
xdarkgokux

I see. Well there is no warranty on my car (bought it used) so I am assuming I would have to buy one? How much are they usually?

Also, TSB -- Technical Service Bulletin? I did some googleing but a little confused. Does this mean they would still replace it without a warranty?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM
08skyline

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
No the tsb is just to let the dealer know of common problems so it makes it easier for them to find the cause of the problem, and fix them, but even if its out of warranty some dealers will give you a discount but the cheapest route would be to find a used one of off a 09 model or higher, and even the 370Z muffler will fit. Check the forum or ebay or craigslist you should be able to find one for less than a $100.
The following users liked this post:
xdarkgokux (07-25-2013)

Quick Reply: Rattling Noise under the G37, bought 5 days ago (video)