Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Anyone have any issues with Stillen Gen 3 CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone have any issues with Stillen Gen 3 CAI?

I ask because, although it is a cool product, I don't see where the filter is TOTALLY safe from getting wet. There's a shield but whenever I see someone with one, you can still see the filter which means rain can still be sucked in. Anyone have any issues yet? It may be too early to tell tho...

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
the important thing to note is that just because the filters get wet, doesn't mean you'll get water into the system. people that talk about hydrolocking their motors are...well, silly. ie the injens, i've been running them in heavy rain storms, but i'm fine. the only way to hydrolock the motor is to FULLY submerge either or filters in standing water. the filters get wet, yes. no sucky-sucky into throttle bodies though.

if you're worried buy the hydro repellent covers that injen sells hope that helped!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
stillen's kit also includes a shield to help prevent water hitting the filters in a heavy downpour. I live in Ca and have driven through some heavy rain and have no trouble with the filters. Heavy rain in CA = regular rain elsewhere though.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It's NOT that easy to hydrolock your engine. Some moisture on the filter is not going to kill your engine. In order to hydrolock your engine, your filter basically needs to submerged in water.

I haven't heard of a single person with the Gen3 intake have this issue so far.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
ECain18

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
The only issue I had with it was when I installed the intakes, it rested on my AC line and eventually rubbed a tiny hole in my AC line and my system ran dry. Had to put a new line in and coat it with rubber. Other than that, NO you do NOT need to worry about hydrolocking. Like everyone else said, you have to submerge your car for that to occur
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ECain18
The only issue I had with it was when I installed the intakes, it rested on my AC line and eventually rubbed a tiny hole in my AC line and my system ran dry. Had to put a new line in and coat it with rubber. Other than that, NO you do NOT need to worry about hydrolocking. Like everyone else said, you have to submerge your car for that to occur
Same thing happened to my AC line. Cost me $400 out of pocket to repair. Now I've put some padding where it might touch, so it won't happen again.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
MFaust123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
I ask because, although it is a cool product, I don't see where the filter is TOTALLY safe from getting wet. There's a shield but whenever I see someone with one, you can still see the filter which means rain can still be sucked in. Anyone have any issues yet? It may be too early to tell tho...

Thanks!

Same concern here as well. I really want to get the Stillen Gen 3 for my G but I'm worried about driving in the rain. I don't want to sound like I don't believe you guys but if the filter gets wet how does it not suck water in to the motor? Please don't yell at me I just want to learn about it. I just got my car a few weeks ago and love it. I don't want to mess it up. Would like to hear from more people with the CAI installed on there car.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
You guys that installed The intakes did you read the instructions and check all your parts before install.. Comes with rubber tubing to put on your ac lines so that won't happen .. Besides that this intake does rub like a **** every where else ..
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Yeah its not the best fitting intake but it sounds like a monster under load
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 AM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, EVERYONE!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Jste06

I JUST got mine installed yesterday and it's my first mod. S&R Performance in Tampa did my install and they did a great job. They told me that they never heard of anyone hydro locking their engines. They didn't even install the shield that came with the intake because it's not necessary with the stock grille. I'd definitely say get it man. My cars more responsive and feels great to drive. You'll be happy you did it.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM
bluntz617

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jste06
I JUST got mine installed yesterday and it's my first mod. S&R Performance in Tampa did my install and they did a great job. They told me that they never heard of anyone hydro locking their engines. They didn't even install the shield that came with the intake because it's not necessary with the stock grille. I'd definitely say get it man. My cars more responsive and feels great to drive. You'll be happy you did it.
What you pay for install if you don't mind me asking, I wanna do it myself but I rather it get done right.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Jste06

Originally Posted by bluntz617
What you pay for install if you don't mind me asking, I wanna do it myself but I rather it get done right.

I paid 210 and they did an awesome job. Infiniti of Tampa tried to charge me 5hrs for the install!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM
anomalocaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Same concern here as well. I really want to get the Stillen Gen 3 for my G but I'm worried about driving in the rain. I don't want to sound like I don't believe you guys but if the filter gets wet how does it not suck water in to the motor?
To hydrolock an engine you have to suck in enough water to fill a cylinder on one stroke - which means the filter has to be submerged fully under water and suck a full column of water inot the engine. A few drops of water will do no harm to the engine - I used to run water injection on a blown Pontiac dd, it would inject plenty of water into the intake a full boost and the engine loved it. The water flashed to steam and cleaned off the carbon deposits in the head and cooled the intake charge, reducing detonation. The only possible down side to a few drops of water in the intake could be (could be) hitting the MAF sensor and disrupting it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Since installing I had 40 thousand+ miles of Gulf States driving in all kinds of weather and all sorts of speeds with no problems at all.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any issues with Stillen Gen 3 CAI?