Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tanabe owners axle back - question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM
JEBperformance
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Samurai
Y-pipe for the RWD and AWD are different.
CONFIRMED, called 5 local Infiniti Parts department. They all say exhaust system for G37 RWD, and G37 AWD has different part numbers. So only option for G37 X - AWD Sedan at the moment is ARK.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Samurai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JEBperformance
CONFIRMED, called 5 local Infiniti Parts department. They all say exhaust system for G37 RWD, and G37 AWD has different part numbers. So only option for G37 X - AWD Sedan at the moment is ARK.
Yeah, this sucks lol. Now we have to wait until Thanksgiving for the coupe version comes out. JEB can you have a black friday sale when it comes out?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 AM
mikelebron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes.. Which why this thread was for only axle back discussion. It's widely known the only cat back exhaust for awd sedan is ark and stillen.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i absolutely love the sound of the tanabe. (1)if i were to pick up the axleback would it 'give' me the sound?
if the answer to my question is 'yes', then (2) is the ypipe and midpipe for the "performance" purposes? (2a) what would be the benefit of getting the axle back + midpipe? reason being.. i dont want to deal with emissions from losing the cat converter when getting the y pipe.
if the answer to my question is 'no', then or (3) do i need to get the mid pipe and y pipe as well (pretty much a whole catback)?

any noticeable weight differences?

Last edited by jujubii; 11-30-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: forgot 1 more Q
Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

bump for me :- )
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jujubii
i absolutely love the sound of the tanabe. (1)if i were to pick up the axleback would it 'give' me the sound?
if the answer to my question is 'yes', then (2) is the ypipe and midpipe for the "performance" purposes? (2a) what would be the benefit of getting the axle back + midpipe? reason being.. i dont want to deal with emissions from losing the cat converter when getting the y pipe.
if the answer to my question is 'no', then or (3) do i need to get the mid pipe and y pipe as well (pretty much a whole catback)?

any noticeable weight differences?
The cats are not part of the y pipe so you do not lose them. The y pipe and mid pipe can have increased performance since the increase the diameter of the piping allowing more air flow. It will also increase the sound, larger pipe size, and less restricive resonators in the aftermarket mid pipe. I would say if you are considering doing it you might as well do it all and get it right the first time.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
The cats are not part of the y pipe so you do not lose them. The y pipe and mid pipe can have increased performance since the increase the diameter of the piping allowing more air flow. It will also increase the sound, larger pipe size, and less restricive resonators in the aftermarket mid pipe. I would say if you are considering doing it you might as well do it all and get it right the first time.
thanks for the response!
i guess i mixed up the names of the ypipe and the mid/down pipe.
is it correct to say that the mid/down pipe replaces the oem cats? and would it be weird if i were to get just the tanabe ypipe and axle back?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 PM
wakeboardr116

The mid pipe is between the y pipe and axle back, still no cats. It goes in order from the engine to the tail pipe like this:

Engine --> Headers --> Catalytic Converters --> Y pipe --> Mid pipe --> Axleback

Downpipe is usually only refered to on Turbo'd applications. It is the exhaust pipe that comes down off the turbo and contains the catalytic converter.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 AM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jujubii
thanks for the response!
i guess i mixed up the names of the ypipe and the mid/down pipe.
is it correct to say that the mid/down pipe replaces the oem cats? and would it be weird if i were to get just the tanabe ypipe and axle back?
Why not just go all out and get the mid pipe too? then finish it off with some HFCs. If I didn't have an X I'd definitely already have the whole system. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with only being able to upgrade the axleback and cats. Still sounds amazing
Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

The mid pipe is between the y pipe and axle back, still no cats. It goes in order from the engine to the tail pipe like this:

Engine --> Headers --> Catalytic Converters --> Y pipe --> Mid pipe --> Axleback

Downpipe is usually only refered to on Turbo'd applications. It is the exhaust pipe that comes down off the turbo and contains the catalytic converter.
thanks for the info. my knowledge of the exhaust system has been more refined haha.

is it possible the mix the tanabe axle with another brand y and mid pipe?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM
wakeboardr116

It's possible as long as they are modeled after the stock system. Before the mid pipe was released I had tanabe axle back with the Ichiba y-pipe. I don't know of any other mid pipes out there.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just have the Tanabe axle back and it's very mild compared to OEM. If I knew for sure that adding the Tanabe midpipe would boost sound a little more over my current set up, I would consider it.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:11 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
It's possible as long as they are modeled after the stock system. Before the mid pipe was released I had tanabe axle back with the Ichiba y-pipe. I don't know of any other mid pipes out there.
Fujitsubo is modeled after the OEM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
InspiredMan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what do you think the tanabe axleback/ art pipe combo would sound like?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 PM
taste1h

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys...is there any issue in fitment if you go Tanabe Y-pipe and Axle-back only?

Quick Reply: Tanabe owners axle back - question