Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

JWT Popchargers vs. Stillen Gen 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 AM
QuickSilver08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JWT Popchargers vs. Stillen Gen 3

Is there any proof that the stillen makes more power and runs faster down the 1/4 mile than the JWT popchargers? I don't mind spending the money again if I'll see a gain but if not then I'll save the money for a tune. I know in theory the stillen's should make more but has it actually been proven?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM
jorwick

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Just yesterday a buddy switched from jwt to injen on his sedan because when he went to go get a tune and the guy told him to put the stock air box back on over the jwt because it would actually increase his hp with the stock over jwt. He went with injen and I run stillen but just the placement alone of both filters you can see why there is a big upside.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 AM
QuickSilver08

Stock makes more power than aftermarket? Definitely wouldn't be trusting that tuner considering it's been proven time and time again that aftermarket's make more power than factory.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 PM
InspiredMan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the gains from an intake on an N/A setup are minimal. the cost vs. the hp gains isn't worth it to some people. Maybe just get drop in filters?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
QuickSilver08

Already have popchargers and I got rid of my stock airboxes so no going back.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm the guy mentioned below and I spoke with Specialty Z here in So Cal who are well known tuners that put down big power numbers specifically on VQ motors. They've done several side by side tests (same vehicle on the same day) between stock (w/Drop in K&N's), JWT, Injen and Stillen. Their dyno results showed that the stock intakes (with drop ins) on avg produced 5-10 more hp than the JWT's. The reason being the fact that the JWT's are more exposed to the under hood temps whereas the stock air box is more shielded from this. Obviously with the mounting positions of the Injen and Stillen's, they draw cooler/denser air and produce better numbers. With all that said, I installed my Injens yesterday and will be getting tuned in two weeks. In the end it's your decision, I've made mine based on info from trusted sources.

Originally Posted by jorwick
Just yesterday a buddy switched from jwt to injen on his sedan because when he went to go get a tune and the guy told him to put the stock air box back on over the jwt because it would actually increase his hp with the stock over jwt. He went with injen and I run stillen but just the placement alone of both filters you can see why there is a big upside.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM
QuickSilver08

Ah. I misunderstood the post. My bad. Pretty much answers my question. Now I need to find a used set of stillens or injen. That or purchase a takeda.

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesshifflett
I'm the guy mentioned below and I spoke with Specialty Z here in So Cal who are well known tuners that put down big power numbers specifically on VQ motors. They've done several side by side tests (same vehicle on the same day) between stock (w/Drop in K&N's), JWT, Injen and Stillen. Their dyno results showed that the stock intakes (with drop ins) on avg produced 5-10 more hp than the JWT's. The reason being the fact that the JWT's are more exposed to the under hood temps whereas the stock air box is more shielded from this. Obviously with the mounting positions of the Injen and Stillen's, they draw cooler/denser air and produce better numbers. With all that said, I installed my Injens yesterday and will be getting tuned in two weeks. In the end it's your decision, I've made mine based on info from trusted sources.
Another aspect I think that contributes to poor JWT performance and I'd bet more so then temp is the filter design and distance to MAF. Too much turbulance on the MAF. Cotton guaze on SRI is not a good idea. A article done a year ago noted the same when they compared SRI to CAI (long tubes). The difference with many of the SRI's today is that they aren't running Hi flow oiled cotton guaze. What they give you is better Sound over stock with less restrictive filters.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 08-29-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:16 PM
zrzrzrzr

I was leaning towards the stillen, but might just get drop in filters now. Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
^ do it!

[IMG][/IMG]