Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

FYI-Check Out Import Tuner's Fact or Fiction on Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:09 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
FYI-Check Out Import Tuner's Fact or Fiction on Intakes

First of all I can't believe I'm referencing Import Tuner. It's probably one of the last magazines I pick up if I had already read the current months EVO, CAR, Road and Track, Grassroots, or MT. I always felt their articles seemed a little 'dumbed down' and dilluted.

Well, today, surprisingly there was a category called 'Fact or Fiction, Intakes May cause loss of Power'...or something like that. It kept my intrest even more when I found out it was referencing the VQ (and even a mention on how back in 08 for their power pages, a short ram intake for a G37 lost 15whp, so they never posted it to print). So they got an 04 350 (supplied by Mike Kojima...i think...), and tested the stock intake, a short ram, a modified short ram with a velocity stack, and a long tube cold air. The results speak for themselves. If you're a car geek you'll definately appreciate the section on MAFS readings, air turbulence and vortechs, etc. and only confirms how nissan's ecu reacts to such mods (and why Tadashi of Technosquare HATES intakes...lol). Very intersting stuff and should help the guy looking for an intake to make a more educated judgement on the purchase.

On other magazine notes to look for:

Grassroots-Great article on their project 335i vs M3
EVO- It's all great
Road and Track - Interesting article on the ZR1 vs 911 Turbo vs GT-R rematch

All I have to say is...thank God for Barnes and Noble, cuz without them I'd be forced to follow my wife around while she shops at the mall...
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
l2awin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you post the results too? I couldnt find the article from googling.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Might have to wait a couple of months to find the article before the put it on their on the website. Mags like C&D, Motortrend, R&T tend to put the articles out there much faster than the import mags. Import Tuner usually has some good tech articles once in a while... I would read their dyno part shootout articles. Grassroots is a great mag with lots of coverage of amateur racing and good budget build up articles (they do dyno runs too). I used to really enjoy reading Turbo Magazine, but they stopped publishing it some time ago; it had some very good tech discussion in there, especially with regards to forced induction. I haven't really looked at Modified magazine lately to see if it's any good.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Don Meshal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once heard that some short ram intakes take away HP instead of increasing them ..

no idea if thats true or not
Old 05-09-2010, 04:17 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
OP, any idea what brand that SRI was the lost 15whp??
Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
OP do you actually have the issue? Perhaps you can scan it...
Old 05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
cvt

i do not have the issue...and if i did i do not know if i am allowed to scan it. they did not clarify the short ram that lost 15whp but it seems that short rams without a velocity stack lost hp...while the ones that do have very minimal gains (if at all). The cold air had the most and consistent gains throughout the power band. it definately solidifies how the ecu is such a bug part of tuning on modern cars (especially the nissans).

My suggestion is go to a barnes and noble or borders and read it. It's only a two page article but it's a good read none the less.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
i do not have the issue...and if i did i do not know if i am allowed to scan it. they did not clarify the short ram that lost 15whp but it seems that short rams without a velocity stack lost hp...while the ones that do have very minimal gains (if at all). The cold air had the most and consistent gains throughout the power band. it definately solidifies how the ecu is such a bug part of tuning on modern cars (especially the nissans).

My suggestion is go to a barnes and noble or borders and read it. It's only a two page article but it's a good read none the less.
not that it really matters but if you do have it there is nothing wrong with scanning it, as long as you're not making a profit from it
Old 05-09-2010, 06:57 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
not that it really matters but if you do have it there is nothing wrong with scanning it, as long as you're not making a profit from it
Copywrited material is still copywrited, he could be flogged in public for posting this, oh that was back in 1400... Asked to remove or face copywrite infringment.

Info why velocity stacks increase HP: http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...wer/index.html

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 05-09-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Copywrited material is still copywrited, he could be flogged in public for posting this, oh that was back in 1400... Asked to remove or face copywrite infringment.

Info why velocity stacks increase HP: Intake Removal - Power Decrease - Import Tuner Magazine
FYI-that's not the article i read recently. but good mention on the velocity stack.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013
OP, any idea what brand that SRI was the lost 15whp??
If I took a wild guess, it would be either Fujitas or JWT Pop-chargers. There have been numerous cases where they made minimal gains. Short ram intakes make the least because of heat soak and the intake is pulling hot air from the motor, so after a few runs it's not unlikely to see horsepower lost overall. R2Cs design is the best if you want a short ram.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:57 PM
cvt

The jwts have a velocity stack...that's why they were so popular with the Z guys. i thnk it might have been the stillen short ram since the power pages consisted of both the stillen exhaust and HFCs...of course only import tuner can confirm that.

and actually the article did not contribute heat soak as the main component of power loss for the short ram. a dyno is done with the hood up and a fan blowing in front of the car. the findings of the power loss was the velocity of air rushing though and giving the MAFS bizzare reading that it would start to richen up the a/f...leading to less power. i am unsure if R2C has a velocity stack...but then again, their test of short rams even with a velocity stack were very minimal...the long tube cold air deisgn was by far the most promising.

http://www.stillen.com/images/upload...PowerPages.pdf
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For R2C I suspect it's in the filter design as with AEM. Ed always commented on the need to reduce turbulence along with ensuring a wide laminar flow path which in essence is the same goal. The other primary design goal was achieving SAE recommended 98% initial filtration efficiency while attaining high performance througout the dust loading curve testing with PTI fine dust. He also commented getting consistent gains across G37's was a PITA in real world testing... most likely due to the dynamic nature of NISSAN ECU as apparently noted in this article.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 05-10-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Looks like someone at 370z scanned it:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5...articlept1.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2...articlept2.jpg
Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM
cvt

Originally Posted by efuseakay
i knew somebody would do it...