Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Header and HFC O2 sensor Problem on install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm the lucky Texan. Lucky that my service advisor and technician aren't scamming douchebags who take me for a moron. Either they are going to do aftermarket work or they aren't. DO NOT leave your car with those jackasses. Those part only need to be replaced if they are not working or if they break them when removing them. Did you have CEL lights when you took it in? If not, then they broke them and are trying to ass rape you into fixing their screw up, or they are perfectly fine and they are trying to ass rape you into buying new ones for the hell of it. Either way, its a case of blatant ass rape, Run, don't walk, away from there.

Also, make them give you the "damaged" sensors that they got from your headers. If they can't/won't/dont, DO NOT PAY for the "new" ones they installed because they are almost certainly the same ones you drove in with! If they are physically damaged (like them stripping them or breaking them), DO NOT PAY for new ones because thy broke them while removing them and you aren't liable for that.

I don't even do drugs, but this makes me want to go get high with tfmbigdog99!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
dcook... if you let them install anything and the forum telling you that you are gettin butt raped without lube then you deserve losing all your money... We are here to help but we cant help if you dont listen to us... You should immediatly told them you wouldnt pay for that and to not install them. If they installed them without you agreeing to pay for the damage o2 sensors then you shouldnt have to pay... regardless... It seems like you have alot of exttra money to **** out to idiots so by all means... Im an idiot too... can I have 1000 bucks?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
DCook42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max, I couldn't agree more. I value all the feedback here and I have taken action.
I have a contact at a local garage who I trust, and he will be finishing the job. He's confident he can spare the sensors to the hfc's, which is the greatest potential unforeseen expense.
Nobody, certainly not me, wants to be wasting money. If I knew this **** was gonna happen, I would have done things very differently or not at all.
Regarding the headers, they're in, and I'm out a little for that, but not too bad. Will chalk that up as a learning experience.
So, at the end of the day, these forums have saved me about $900. Thank you all, I may even link this to the service manager in an email.

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
dcook... if you let them install anything and the forum telling you that you are gettin butt raped without lube then you deserve losing all your money... We are here to help but we cant help if you dont listen to us... You should immediatly told them you wouldnt pay for that and to not install them. If they installed them without you agreeing to pay for the damage o2 sensors then you shouldnt have to pay... regardless... It seems like you have alot of exttra money to **** out to idiots so by all means... Im an idiot too... can I have 1000 bucks?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:19 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dcook42
Max, I couldn't agree more. I value all the feedback here and I have taken action.
I have a contact at a local garage who I trust, and he will be finishing the job. He's confident he can spare the sensors to the hfc's, which is the greatest potential unforeseen expense.
Nobody, certainly not me, wants to be wasting money. If I knew this **** was gonna happen, I would have done things very differently or not at all.
Regarding the headers, they're in, and I'm out a little for that, but not too bad. Will chalk that up as a learning experience.
So, at the end of the day, these forums have saved me about $900. Thank you all, I may even link this to the service manager in an email.
To: Service Manager... Your an idiot.... and we will bash your dealership for life...
Old 03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
DCook42

LOL don't get me started on dealerships... wait til I have time to sit down and write a post on how Devan Infiniti in Fairfield CT tried to pull a classic bait and switch on me... i'm starting to feel dealerships = suq.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Like I said before, don't let them keep your "broken" sensors. Get them back!

If they can't produce them, they are not broken at all and your original ones are still in your car and you paid for nothing. If they are broken, their techs are the ones that broke them and don't pay for new ones that they should replace. I'm not usually really that nitpicky as some folks are but you should call Infiniti customer relations on this one man. Don't let hem steal your money or the next guy's.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I feel your pain.... the shop I went to for my headers couldn't get out the exhaust manifold sensors in reusable condition but had no problem with the cat sensors. I would have prefered the other way around because the manifold sensors are wide band and retail for over $700 through the dealer. The cat sensors are only like $150 each. What happened is that the threads were basically fused together in the stock manifold so when they tried to remove it the threads were destroyed. They didn't even do it on the car, they waited and put it in a vice it was so bad. Luckily the dealer owed me a favor so I was able to get the sensors at cost ~$450 a piece. If the dealer is quoting you a replacement sensor in the $400 range its a deal. I thinks its BS how they install a part that cannot be removed without destroying it.

Maybe we should start a petition about the unreplaceable design of the O2 sensors and get Nissan to reimburse those of us who had to pay for new ones.... I could understand if my car was several years old and the exhaust system was rusted up but the car only had like 8k on it when I did the job. Completely unreasonable servicability

Last edited by xeroed; 03-31-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:17 PM
chucky

Tell the dealer you want to see the old sensors then demand to keep them, I'm guessing they screwed them up taking them out. Several people including myself have found the senors for the cats crossed threaded from the factory or they didn't use anti seize. If they where cross threaded at the factory or installed wrong your warranty will cover it since a dealer was doing the work. If they damaged them taking them out it's their problem and they should reimburse you for the sensors. Get on the phone with a factory rep. and tell them you want your money back for the sensors. STICK TO YOUR GUNS!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 AM
choez

i dont fully understand why you dont just do it urself. u'd save the money in labor. even if they take off the o2 sensor to avoid using an impact, there's the great chance that the impact gun will round your bolt head, which will just give them a reason to charge you for an extra couple hours of work. i went to the flea market and got myself a 3 foot extention for 9 bucks. if you do it by hand, you can feel if the bolt is rounding, but if you take off the steer shaft and use an impact grade 14mm socket head, it'll come off not too bad. as for the 02 sensor removal, all you really have to do is get some wd40 when it starts to get hard and just go back and fourth until the thread is nice and lubed. if you bought everything to do the stuff yourself, it'd be about 20 bucks at most instead of 50-$$$ dollars plus at most 2 hours of your time. that's just me though. i dont see the point in paying the shop over 50 bucks a hour when you could buy the tools for less than one hour of labor plus the few hours you'll spend.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
chucky

What would happen if we approached this as a group and emailed officials higher than the service manager. I'd sign a petition or send an email as a concerned Infiniti owner. The email is mightier than the service manager. Start a new thread, we all get on board and have an Infiniti owner's representation. To me this dealership has been way over the line. Black Betty, I was just reinforcing your input it was right on. Come on Max, lets do this.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll provide pictures of my cross threaded sensors and manifolds if that'll help. I still have em in a box even though they're useless now
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dcook42
Just spoke with the head of service, who informed me that if I were replacing my "problem parts" under normal conditions, the O2 sensors would certainly be covered. However, when replacing fully-functioning factory parts with aftermarket parts, all bets are off. I see his point, but the expense sucks.

Regarding the Texan who had a similar experience covered by the factory with aftermarket parts, his quote was "He was very lucky and could receive a callback". I'll check back with them in the morning, and unless it's already done I might take it elsewhere.

That still doesnt warrant NEW sensors. How does he know the sensors are bad? Were they working before you took the car in? If they were working before its not like they're going to stop working once the HFCs are installed. You need to understand exactly WHY the are replacing them. Sounds like typical dealership getting over on unsuspecting customers. I love going into a dealer for something and hearing that ****. When I start the technical talk they quickly change their tune.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Like I said before, don't let them keep your "broken" sensors. Get them back!

If they can't produce them, they are not broken at all and your original ones are still in your car and you paid for nothing. If they are broken, their techs are the ones that broke them and don't pay for new ones that they should replace. I'm not usually really that nitpicky as some folks are but you should call Infiniti customer relations on this one man. Don't let hem steal your money or the next guy's.
BINGO!