Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

what is the disadvantage to having one O2 sensor not working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what is the disadvantage to having one O2 sensor not working?

Can any one tell me what the disadvantage is to having one O2 sensor not working. I got a set of berk HFC's installed and I stripped one taking it out but got it replaced by warrenty. but now my SES light is still on I think the second one is FUBAR'd. I am going to try for warrenty again. But I want to know what the issues are with this not working if any. Guys with TP cannot get them to work and it does not seem like an issue. So tech help from someone in the know would be nice thanks.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Hpauto
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
Can any one tell me what the disadvantage is to having one O2 sensor not working. I got a set of berk HFC's installed and I stripped one taking it out but got it replaced by warrenty. but now my SES light is still on I think the second one is FUBAR'd. I am going to try for warrenty again. But I want to know what the issues are with this not working if any. Guys with TP cannot get them to work and it does not seem like an issue. So tech help from someone in the know would be nice thanks.
Many times, secondary o2 sensors act as a emissions device only. A faulty secondary o2 sensory generally wont hinder performance but will cause the SES light to come on. Unless the G37 is diff, and those are the primary o2 sensors, the vehicle could be in safe mode (if you feel a loss in power). How many miles are on your car? o2 sensors are generally pretty stout from the factory and shouldnt be bad already but than again, many car parts can go bad (just like light bulbs for houses) at any time. If you cant get it warrantied, try to test the o2 sensor to see if thats it before you shell out money and buy a new one. Hope that will give you some insight.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shumby
Does FUBAR mean Fvcked Up Beyond A Repair?

If so pat on my back for a good guess....
Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
fkat
Registered Member

it might be that the reading is off. i think there is a thread about the CEL fix with an adapter. I can't find it right now but that may help your situation.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:42 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Does FUBAR mean Fvcked Up Beyond A Repair?

If so pat on my back for a good guess....

close

Fvcked up beyond all recognition.

It is the name of a movie (canadian) it is pretty funny.

I have read about the O2 fix thing but no one else with HFC's is haveing this issue.
What I really want to know is is this affecting my preformance?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Hpauto
Banned

A bad secondary o2 sensor will just trigger a SES light more than anything else. From a performance standpt, if it was in "safe mode", you would know it.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 AM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As was stated, if it is one of the downstream sensors, other than the CEL, you will be fine. If it is upsteam, you are going to have issues and the ECU is going to do all it can to proect the car.....which usually leads to safe mode.

In all cases, I would go to the dealer and get it looked at.