Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Question About X-Pipes, Removable Silencers, Resonators etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Question About X-Pipes, Removable Silencers, Resonators etc...

I am posting this for a discussion about making aftermarket exhaust systems quieter as needed.

With my Berk HFCs I get no drone although I do hear my exhaust note a little more than before. At highway speeds @ 75- 80 and up hill or under load I can hear my exhaust note with mymusic down. It's not an annoying drone- in fact it sounds about perfect right now but it is still noticeable enough that when I complete my exhaust system I wonder if it will get louder. If Infiniti didn't make such a crappy muffler I would just keep things as is.

I know that many people use XPipes to quiet things down some. Some use extra resonators, some use removable silencers. What are the pros and cons to each?

Do silencers or inserts affect power? They often claim gains in low and mid range but they don't speak of any loss or gains in the high revs. I know that Apexi makes one that is pressure sprung- it opens up as you rev your engine.

Don't get me wrong, I love to hear my exhaust note but only when I am in the mood for it. sometimes you just want quiet.

...anyone with experience with X Pipes, Resonators or Exhaust inserts?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Since it doesn't seem that there is much info on this board regarding the topic I have found some info on another site regarding exhaust componentsthat I willl share here:
Glasspacks
Glasspacks employ two tubes, an inner perforated one, and an outer solid one. Between these tubes, there is sound insulation. These mufflers decrease back pressure and don't decrease the decibel level much. Glasspacks can be used to give the engine a deeper "throaty" sound.
Silencers
Silencers also use two tubes, but the smaller tube extends towards the engine INSIDE the larger tube. When the sound wave hits the barrier between the smaller tube and the larger one, it bounces back and cancels out (a little bit). The exhaust exits through the smaller pipe. See image on external site... Silencers decrease the volume of the exhaust, but also decrease high end power (but they don't hurt low end torque).
Resonators
Resonators are basically sections of exhaust pipe that expand to a larger diameter and allow the sound waves to bounce off the walls and cancel out. Resonators are similar to an Expansion chamber, only for 4 stroke engines. They do not produce much back pressure.