General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

confusing g37x battery issue!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 03:13 PM
kdube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confusing g37x battery issue!

I got a 2013 g37x sedan about 7 months ago, it's my second g. I love infinitis to death. However I am annoyed and keep experiencing a quite confusing issue. The battery is whack. so story- About a month into owning this car it wouldn't start so I assumed the battery died, I got it jumped and drove it home. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and charged. The car was working fine for about 12 hours after replacing the battery. Then the battery 'died' again while I was out. I unsuccessfully tried to get the car started for hours. I eventually called a tow truck to tow the car back to the dealership I bought it from because I have a warranty. The dealership called me and told me the car started first try. I was confused. Fast forward to a few weeks ago it happened again- the car wouldn't start and the battery wouldn't work at all either. So I charged the battery the next morning, battery read as full and the car started fine. AND now yesterday morning- THE CAR Wouldn't start AGAIN! battery was dead so I plugged it into the charger for a while and I was able to start all battery functions but not the motor. So I decided ill call a tow truck force the dealership to fix this while under warranty. I got a ride to work, and then the tow person called me asking "why do you want this towed it starts?". so the car was left untowed. I got home and it started fine, so I went to fill my tank. Once again, after getting gas I went to turn it on and NOPE DEAD AGAIN!! so I got it jumped and brought it home. Someone HELP ME WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG ! the dealership does not believe me all this is happening. I need some leads
Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
That sounds like a real pain - especially in the winter. Some questions to help others isolate:

When it won't start, what happens?
  • Does it crank and not fire?
  • Click?
  • Do you have interior lights/gauges? Headlamps? Radio? Door chime?
  • Have you checked the battery voltage in a no start condition? If so - what's it read?
  • You mentioned you "unsuccessfully tried to get it started for hours" - was this with jumper cables?
Good luck!
-Eric
​​​​​​​
Old 02-02-2019, 07:35 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
There's either a drain that's causing the battery to discharge quickly OR a short that won't allow the starter to engage. Personally, I'd start by making sure there's good connections and grounds to the car. Did you have an independent mechanical and electrical assessment done with this G37 before you purchased it?
Old 02-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
This may sound dumb, but both clamps on the battery are tight right?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
This may sound dumb, but both clamps on the battery are tight right?
was thinking the same thing ....