General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Wiring harnesses replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Ceo4eva
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wiring harnesses replacement

Hello, I was wondering if there is any guidance when purchasing wiring harnesses for this car?

Besides AWD, and coupe variants is there anything to look out for when purchasing them? Does vehicle year come into play?

I'm looking to replace most of the wiring in my '13 g37 so looking for as much guidance as possible? Most of the wiring in my car has gotten old and brittle, previous owner probably played with them before because I cannot find any of the part numbers on the wires.

Thanks for any tips
Old 01-10-2019, 02:10 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Your car is barely 6 years old. There should be no issues with your wiring unless there are other extenuating circumstances creating a problem.

That said, there are many factors which determine correct harness replacement such as: body style, powertrain options, accessory options, etc. Most harnesses will have a durable, plastic ID tag with the part number taped in-line with the harness (see photo example). These tags are not hard to find but are not in plain sight either.

Sample Wiring Harness ID Tag (from 2010 Convertible Seat)

Depending on the specific harness(es) replacing wiring is not a easy project. It can be a highly labor intensive ordeal and can also be VERY costly.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:07 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Here's a start:
https://www.discountinfinitiparts.co...wiring-harness
I didn't see body harnesses but I didn't look hard.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
this is probably one of the very few things that really require that you go to the dealership (in person or online) with your VIN and have them confirm the part number.

good luck
Old 01-10-2019, 04:27 PM
Ceo4eva
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Your car is barely 6 years old. There should be no issues with your wiring unless there are other extenuating circumstances creating a problem.

That said, there are many factors which determine correct harness replacement such as: body style, powertrain options, accessory options, etc. Most harnesses will have a durable, plastic ID tag with the part number taped in-line with the harness (see photo example). These tags are not hard to find but are not in plain sight either.

Sample Wiring Harness ID Tag (from 2010 Convertible Seat)

Depending on the specific harness(es) replacing wiring is not a easy project. It can be a highly labor intensive ordeal and can also be VERY costly.
I have very serious extenuating circumstances, I discovered that the connectors leading into the ECU were all severed and rejoined together with another harness head, several wires are left open with no connection, and to make things worse I've been having misfire along with TPS issues. Because voltages are out of order when I was checking with my meter.

I'm mainly looking for the harness set that includes this white socket that's circled. I've determined that it houses 1 connection from the engine room wire and it also sockets wiring coming along the passenger side floor trim. So I would need that group of wiring also.

It truly amazes me how this car is operating, and no wonder I got it so cheap.

33k miles g37 2013 for $3800
Attached Thumbnails Wiring harnesses replacement-screenshot_20181228-113438.jpg   Wiring harnesses replacement-screenshot_20181211-105250.jpg   Wiring harnesses replacement-img-20181203-wa0000.jpeg  
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Ceo4eva
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
this is probably one of the very few things that really require that you go to the dealership (in person or online) with your VIN and have them confirm the part number.

good luck
My local dealership said it's against their policy to give out part numbers.. can u imagine that
Old 01-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceo4eva
My local dealership said it's against their policy to give out part numbers.. can u imagine that
that just dishonest if not just stupid on their part if they think you'd actually believe that...if you ask for a quote for the part they need to give it too you...smh..either way Slartis link is a dealership's online store and you can get the info there, thats a really great price you got, good luck with the wiring project...i would suggest getting the parts from a wreckers yard or ebay after you confirm the part numbers...biggest cost will be the labour on install
Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 AM
Ceo4eva
Registered Member

Lightbulb

So i called up a dealer asking for the Wire Harness for the dashboard, he gave me one of the part number for Choice 4 w/ my VIN. I have not been able to find that particular Part # online or anywhere but i was able to find Choice 5 locally in a scrap yard. Does anyone know what sorts of issues i may face if i go with what i can find as opposed to what I was told?
Thanks

Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
The only difference I can see is that Option 4 includes the NAV/TECH package while Option 5 may just be the G37 Journey (no NAV)? The minimal price difference suggests that there might be a connector or two missing.

Finding specific cables/connectors/"pigtails" for these cars is a royal pain. I have been hunting for months for 2 connectors for a side project with no luck. If your local salvage yard has a potential harness, see if you can pick and choose what specifically you need from that. I would only consider a brand new harness under the absolute of last resorts.

I wish I could be of more help...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-28-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ceo4eva (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:09 PM
Ceo4eva
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
The only difference I can see is that Option 4 includes the NAV/TECH package while Option 5 may just be the G37 Journey (no NAV)? The minimal price difference suggests that there might be a connector or two missing.

Finding specific cables/connectors/"pigtails" for these cars is a royal pain. I have been hunting for months for 2 connectors for a side project with no luck. If your local salvage yard has a potential harness, see if you can pick and choose what specifically you need from that. I would only consider a brand new harness under the absolute of last resorts.

I wish I could be of more help...
Actually you have been a help, i needed to hear something like that to convince me to pounce on what's in front of me. I wish there was a layout that shows the differences in these part numbers because i seem to find every other part number I'm looking for besides the part numbers associated with my car.