General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

high mileage synth oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 09:37 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
high mileage synth oil

I'm at 114k on my g37 and I've been using synthetic blend since new, so wondering if anyone made the switch to a high mileage synth oil? Saw an ad for castrol and for Pennzoil so this route or go full synth etc...just thinking of any plusses for engine longevity as I'm keeping car for a while and considering the benefits of the extras from such oils...and probably will sit my oil changes going forward...
Old 12-31-2018, 01:22 AM
Banshee
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
I'm at 114k on my g37 and I've been using synthetic blend since new, so wondering if anyone made the switch to a high mileage synth oil? Saw an ad for castrol and for Pennzoil so this route or go full synth etc...just thinking of any plusses for engine longevity as I'm keeping car for a while and considering the benefits of the extras from such oils...and probably will sit my oil changes going forward...
I use high mileage in my Range Rover but its high mileage conventional. My G just uses full synthetic. I'll probably stay with it unless legit break through proof pops up that switching is worth it. In the mean time I feel like it's marketing but what do I know. If you're diligent with your oil changes your motor should be fine all the way to 250k miles with just full synthetic.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:00 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Banshee
I use high mileage in my Range Rover but its high mileage conventional. My G just uses full synthetic. I'll probably stay with it unless legit break through proof pops up that switching is worth it. In the mean time I feel like it's marketing but what do I know. If you're diligent with your oil changes your motor should be fine all the way to 250k miles with just full synthetic.
Agree and thanks, I guess I want prolong engine life etc so just wanted to hear real life users and get input etc....considering going full synthetic as I'll be doing my own now and cost won't be an impact but have heard the stories on switching to full synthetic at higher mileage etc ....

Old 12-31-2018, 04:34 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
I use synthetic Mobil 1 0-40W FS in my 350Z racecar, which sees a lot of time running up to redline. It helps ensure proper lubrication when the VQ35HR motor gets hot. Repeated UOAs indicate the oil takes the beatings inflicted on it during the season, without the need of replacing it all the time. I also use the same oil in my G37xS sedan and change it once a year.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:51 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
+1 for m1 0w40 fs.
used it in my 07 350z nismo
2013 g37 IPL
and 08 g35s sedan.
great oil great uoa
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:18 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

i see the 0w40 in a few other threads, but any reason not to stick with 5w30 as i primarily stay in FL and temps never below 32, at least no more than for our 1hr long winter...lol...but besides the cold viscosity , it seems 5w30 synth would be a good solution so thanks
Old 12-31-2018, 09:20 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
i see the 0w40 in a few other threads, but any reason not to stick with 5w30 as i primarily stay in FL and temps never below 32, at least no more than for our 1hr long winter...lol...but besides the cold viscosity , it seems 5w30 synth would be a good solution so thanks
you have a lot to learn .its not the numbers its how the oil breaks down under use. M1 5w30 is terrible.
time again mobil 1 0w40 has shown it keeps its properties under use. Your logic is flawed. The analysis proves 0w40 from mobil is their most robust superior oils.

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2018, 10:46 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

K obe one...and thanks, and that's why I am asking; however, if the 40 weight is thicker at operating temp, wont that potentially increase pressure and therefore more prone to that rear gasket issue??? and I am actually considering Pennzoil ultra synth 5w30 but wanted input on the High mileage oils out there, as the additives supposedly contain some better lubrication and other protection properties than regular synth blend oils, but never used them before so just asking. Also, longer OCI wasnt a goal as in the summer months(here in fl it can start in march and last until october etc) I would change at 5-6k irregardless etc...
Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Mobil 1 0w40 here as well with M1-110A filter.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:38 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

^^hey yes and thanks, and planned on using the larger m oil filers but I guess based on posts no issues with the heavier 40w vs the 30...so thanks all, guess I m going full synthetic as a better option and not the high mileage type oils, but will probably stick with 5w30 ...
Old 01-01-2019, 09:53 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
K obe one...and thanks, and that's why I am asking; however, if the 40 weight is thicker at operating temp, wont that potentially increase pressure and therefore more prone to that rear gasket issue??? and I am actually considering Pennzoil ultra synth 5w30 but wanted input on the High mileage oils out there, as the additives supposedly contain some better lubrication and other protection properties than regular synth blend oils, but never used them before so just asking. Also, longer OCI wasnt a goal as in the summer months(here in fl it can start in march and last until october etc) I would change at 5-6k irregardless etc...
Do a bit more research and you'll find static tests have rated Mobil 1 0-40 FS as having the viscosity of a 30 weight oil. The 0-40 rating allows the oil to flow easily at lower temperatures, but retain the ability to protect at high temps. Even better, this latest blend is readily available and very affordable (especially compared to expensive racing oils). Of course, you're free to use whatever oil you like, but you asked for a product that works well with VQ-spec engines and that's my opinion.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:32 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. I also use this oil in my Maxima that has 279k miles and have never used the high mileage oil. I change every 6k and really have never seen a need for the high mileage stuff. I've done Blackstone lab reports several times on both the G and the Maxima, just get a good synthetic oil and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dkmura
Do a bit more research and you'll find static tests have rated Mobil 1 0-40 FS as having the viscosity of a 30 weight oil. The 0-40 rating allows the oil to flow easily at lower temperatures, but retain the ability to protect at high temps. Even better, this latest blend is readily available and very affordable (especially compared to expensive racing oils). Of course, you're free to use whatever oil you like, but you asked for a product that works well with VQ-spec engines and that's my opinion.
thanks and though i had not really read much about 0-40, it does seem like a solid consideration as all posts give it positive feedback etc
Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KungFooFireman
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. I also use this oil in my Maxima that has 279k miles and have never used the high mileage oil. I change every 6k and really have never seen a need for the high mileage stuff. I've done Blackstone lab reports several times on both the G and the Maxima, just get a good synthetic oil and you'll be good to go.
thanks for that; had 2 previous maximas as well but always stuck with m1 though mileage was under 100k when i traded them in; but I had read about PU high mileage by coincidence one day and it started the whole switch to high mileage consideration, but a lot of the literature seems to indicate use for cars either burning oil or leaks etc and my car has neither so far, but it go me wondering on full synthetic vs the high mileage oil etc...got some ramps for the holidays and decided to diy oil changes would be best, so here I am. it seems oil consideration is a hotly debated and personal thing, and some say 5w30 is the best others and others disagree, but I have used it for 113k and no issues so most likely sticking to it going forward but as a full synth, though the 0w40 sounds good too... will keep reading and come to a conclusion in the next week or so as my oil change is due ...got my larger filter just deciding on what oil now ...
Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 PM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
thanks for that; had 2 previous maximas as well but always stuck with m1 though mileage was under 100k when i traded them in; but I had read about PU high mileage by coincidence one day and it started the whole switch to high mileage consideration, but a lot of the literature seems to indicate use for cars either burning oil or leaks etc and my car has neither so far, but it go me wondering on full synthetic vs the high mileage oil etc...got some ramps for the holidays and decided to diy oil changes would be best, so here I am. it seems oil consideration is a hotly debated and personal thing, and some say 5w30 is the best others and others disagree, but I have used it for 113k and no issues so most likely sticking to it going forward but as a full synth, though the 0w40 sounds good too... will keep reading and come to a conclusion in the next week or so as my oil change is due ...got my larger filter just deciding on what oil now ...
I used Castrol Edge 5W30 for a while with good results, nothing major. I then also read about 0w40 and decided to try it out, Castrol Edge also. I've found it makes the valvetrain more quiet, possible since the cold weight is thinner so it reaches to the valvetrain quicker? I currently have Mobil 1 0W40. however, I have noticed that I do burn more of the oil with the 0W40 weights. About 1qt every 3000 miles. I didn't have this issue with 5W30.

I attached two of my UOS so you can read the comment they wrote back with. You can't wrong with either weight.

Latez

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
G37 Castrol 5W30.pdf (18.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: pdf
G37 0W40 Mobil 1.pdf (19.9 KB, 137 views)
The following users liked this post:
G37sPhoton (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: high mileage synth oil