General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

What's that noise? -- "clicking" coming from rear passenger while turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM
defektion
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
What's that noise? -- "clicking" coming from rear passenger while turning

So what I've noticed is while I take sharp right turns and accelerate, I am hearing an audible clicking noise coming from the rear of my vehicle. It's not audible any other time other than taking right turns. To make sure I'm not crazy, I'm trying to verify it for the left side, and I'm unable to replicate the same noise when taking left turns. As a result, I'm confident it's coming from the rear passenger side.

As I'm Googling the parts, I'm noticing two different part numbers 39600-1NC0A (11+) and 39600-JK00A (09-10). What are the differences between the two other than the year? I also read a post that a 370z axle shaft should bolt right up.

What are your thoughts, experiences, and solutions?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
theres an old TSB on this issue if you think its the axle shaft clicking, you just need to pop the end of the axle out of the wheel hub and apply grease to the end its in contact with.
The following users liked this post:
defektion (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 AM
defektion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
theres an old TSB on this issue if you think its the axle shaft clicking, you just need to pop the end of the axle out of the wheel hub and apply grease to the end its in contact with.
Yeah, I saw this TSB but I have had this fix done before. Perhaps it needs to be done again.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Scottvdken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong TSB, but doesn't this only apply to '07-'09 models?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by defektion
Yeah, I saw this TSB but I have had this fix done before. Perhaps it needs to be done again.

Is it the same noise? if it is and it went away for while the last time you had the TSB re-grease done perhaps use a different grease this time- it may have washed out. Try to use something as close to the OEM as possible (I think its a high pressure bearing grease)...if its not the same noise they you may have to check the axle itself....I'm going off you determination that one of the rear axles appear to need to be changed and the description of the clicking noise... i once thought I had the clicking noise turned out to just be the sway bar bushing
Old 05-18-2018, 12:44 PM
defektion
Registered Member

Is it the same noise? if it is and it went away for while the last time you had the TSB re-grease done perhaps use a different grease this time- it may have washed out. Try to use something as close to the OEM as possible (I think its a high pressure bearing grease)...if its not the same noise they you may have to check the axle itself....I'm going off you determination that one of the rear axles appear to need to be changed and the description of the clicking noise... i once thought I had the clicking noise turned out to just be the sway bar bushing
If I recall, the noise happened when I shifted from reverse to drive and vice versa. So the click was very prominent but it would only happen once and that's it. I haven't been able to find many posts where someone needed a new rear axle and my friend over at Infiniti told me to try the TSB first and see how that goes.

Regarding the sway bar bushings, that's another plausible scenario because I do run the thicker 370z rear sway bar and I just changed out my end links for the heavy duty Moog ones due to excessive play in the OEM ones. However, I did not take the time to grease the bushings. So I may try that first as this is easiest to complete before moving onto the axle.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:44 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Check my post history. I posted up the parts you need to solve the clicking noise. I used a Molykote bearing grease from Honda. No clicks for about 2 years now.
The following users liked this post:
defektion (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

^^^
what Flashguy said about the molykote bearing grease is a really good idea...for some reason you cant get it form nissan in reasonable quantities. if its the swaybars, use something waterproof like a marine grease...I used the Hotckis grease that is meant for their bushings and haven't had a squeak in a couple of years now
Old 05-18-2018, 12:56 PM
defektion
Registered Member

Thanks @FlashGuy & @Hashim. I'll have to find time to get some M77 through Honda. Could I use the M77 on the splines too?
Old 05-18-2018, 03:45 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
No need to go through Honda. Here are the parts I ordered through Amazon. You can use the grease on the splines too. Just need to clean them up well.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:28 AM
defektion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
No need to go through Honda. Here are the parts I ordered through Amazon. You can use the grease on the splines too. Just need to clean them up well.

The MolyKote I need to pick up form Honda because ordering anything from the US into Canada is expensive. However, I have an order from RockAuto with the axle nuts in my cart.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by defektion
The MolyKote I need to pick up form Honda because ordering anything from the US into Canada is expensive. However, I have an order from RockAuto with the axle nuts in my cart.
Yeah i feel ya, that molykote is like $16 dollars on amazon in the US and $65 on amazon canada...makes no sense
Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 AM
defektion
Registered Member

Just wanted to give an update on the noise. What I thought was a click, it doesn't sound like a click. More like a rattle, and it will happen during light load / low rpm. I'm wondering if it's my catalytic converters?