General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Car start up is fine, dying out when I put in gear, clunking noise follows

Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 PM
kennyG37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car start up is fine, dying out when I put in gear, clunking noise follows

everything was fine this morning when I drove my car, I bought new intakes and planned on installing them later on, made a Home Depot run and as I was leaving Home Depot I shifted from park to drive... car dies. Did it again. Same thing happens. gave it some gas, and heard this clunking noise. I stopped immediately. I looked up kinda what I thought, which was the dirty throttle bodies and luckily I was changing out my intakes if I made it home. It was a struggle making it home. When I got home I cleaned them, installed the intakes. Went to fire up the car, it made a difference with the car not dying in R or F gear, but I’m still hearing this clunking noise and I’m pretty scared to drive on it. Has this happend to anyone? Cars at 106,000
Old 04-08-2018, 11:17 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Sounds like axle or drive shaft u-joint.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 AM
kennyG37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyG37x
everything was fine this morning when I drove my car, I bought new intakes and planned on installing them later on, made a Home Depot run and as I was leaving Home Depot I shifted from park to drive... car dies. Did it again. Same thing happens. gave it some gas, and heard this clunking noise. I stopped immediately. I looked up kinda what I thought, which was the dirty throttle bodies and luckily I was changing out my intakes if I made it home. It was a struggle making it home. When I got home I cleaned them, installed the intakes. Went to fire up the car, it made a difference with the car not dying in R or F gear, but I’m still hearing this clunking noise and I’m pretty scared to drive on it. Has this happend to anyone? Cars at 106,000
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Sounds like axle or drive shaft u-joint.
it definitely sounds more like a u joint then the axle, it’s commin from underneath the middle of the car I’m gunna take it to a Mechanic today. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Front yoke of the drive shaft is under the middle of the car. Could also be the transfer shaft going forward, or the transfer case.