General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Installed a GROM VLine kit, now have aux airbag problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All in all, I am very happy with the VL2. I just installed a ProClips phone dock and it's looking real nice with CarPlay and the USB and Mic coming out of that little compartment in the front. When not in use, I can just shut that lid.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Does it play youtube videos or other video apps?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 AM
jdjurado
Registered Member

On the VLine Android OS you can install any app available in the Google PlayStore, including Netflix and YouTube; however, there is a noticeable delay between video playback and the audio. If using CarPlay through the VL2, then only certain apps from your iPhone will show up on the screen, which does not include anything that could be considered unsafe like video applications.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:03 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
So is it worth the $600 then, in your opinion?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

IMO, yes. I struggled for years after buying my G37 with Bluetooth audio problems with absolutely no way to install a new stereo, feeling like I wanted a new car just to upgrade the infotainment system. This upgrade took care of that for me, it almost gives it that new car feeling. I think there is still a lot to polish using their OTA updates, but I'm really enjoying what is in there currently.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 PM
mhadford
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I installed the GROM VLine 2 unit, and at first the entire center console was dead. Talked with GROM support and they had me try a number of things, including changing the settings of some dip switches inside the VL2. In the end, I took the GROM box out, and plugged the harnesses back to OEM setup. Still dead. Found that a fuse was blown. Audio fuse in driver side kick panel. Replaced fuse, hooked up GROM again, everything was looking good.

Got the airbag warning light, reset as per instructions. Got the TPMS warning. Seemed to go away after GROM firmware upgrades.

Now the center console buttons are just weird. The "fan up" button requires several pushes to increase fan speed - 5 or 6 before anything happens. Then fan speed increases, then the fan speed button changes the radio station. Most buttons have similar strange behavior.

Every couple of days, the entire center console will be dead. The back lighting for the buttons and the screen will be on, but buttons do nothing, and nothing on screen. Can adjust radio with steering wheel controls, but no control of AC.

Disconnecting the battery negative cable for 30 seconds and re-connecting seems to reset the GROM and console and everything gets back to "normal". Until it happens again.

I have a service ticket in with GROM and I will let you know what they say.

What I like about the GROM:

Google maps works great. Spotify is great too.

The negatives:

Seems like the product was not quite ready for prime time. Might be better for a person to buy in a few months after all the bugs are worked out.

Needs an internet connection to be useful. So I either have to turn on internet connection sharing on my phone every time I get into the car, or use the USB WIFI router stick I got from GROM (which currently doesn't work).Cannot do USB tethering to phone.
GROM should make a provision for a sim card inserted directly into the unit.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:32 PM
arcanemagnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey did you ever find a fix for this dead console issue? I'm having the same exact issue with you rn and the only way i can temporarily fix it is by disconnecting the battery and it fixes.