General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Steering lower joint spec

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 PM
turbohounds
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Steering lower joint spec

Does anyone have a steering column lower u joint around they could measure for length, diameter of shaft and spline count at both ends? Looking to see if I can get an aftermarket one.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:46 AM
turbohounds
Registered Member

Figured this out - call Woodward Steering and order part UA108108. If you are installing headers I would definitely recommend getting this part.
The following users liked this post:
VQ_Q40 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Whats the benefit of using this part?

What application does it work for/not work for ? (Coupe, sport, awd, sedan? etc.)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 PM
turbohounds
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
Whats the benefit of using this part?

What application does it work for/not work for ? (Coupe, sport, awd, sedan? etc.)

This should fit most any newer Infiniti or Nissan without active steer. Looks like the factory part # is 48080.

The benefit is space. The stock part clamps around the steering shaft, where the Woodward part fits tightly with allen head set screws. My stock part was also work out/notchy after only 80k miles. If you have the rack out for replacement I would suggest considering replacement.

It's a hard job to get the wheel lined up perfectly straight. Have a shop do it or take a Xanax.

You can see where the header wrap was hitting the OEM joint. I now have ~1/2" space, and nothing that would catch because the new joint is round.

Woodward vs. OEM

End diameter comparison - this is where you need the space for headers.

The following 2 users liked this post by turbohounds:
Baadnewsburr (03-30-2017), VQ_Q40 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by turbohounds

The benefit is space. The stock part clamps around the steering shaft, where the Woodward part fits tightly with allen head set screws. My stock part was also work out/notchy after only 80k miles. If you have the rack out for replacement I would suggest considering replacement.
interesting ...what was the cost of this?...
Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 PM
turbohounds
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
interesting ...what was the cost of this?...
About $70. And you have to repeat three times "I will not buy from Stillen".
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:19 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Very nice op. Ive heard bad things with stillen and fitment..
Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

About $70. And you have to repeat three times "I will not buy from Stillen".
haha nice! I'm actually surprised its such a cheap upgrade.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:01 PM
VQ_Q40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This should fit most any newer Infiniti or Nissan without active steer. Looks like the factory part # is 48080.

It's a hard job to get the wheel lined up perfectly straight. Have a shop do it or take a Xanax.

You can see where the header wrap was hitting the OEM joint. I now have ~1/2" space, and nothing that would catch because the new joint is round.

Woodward vs. OEM

Hey I have a 2015 Q40. I know it’s been a while since this was posted but long story short I took your advice and bought the part UA108108. It seems to fit the steering rack end on the bottom but it won’t fit the top on the shaft or either I’m just not holding mouth right. Should I have a shop install it I mean it seems pretty simple. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:06 PM
VQ_Q40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woodward vs. OEM

Hey I have a 2015 Q40. I know it’s been a while since this was posted but long story short I took your advice and bought the part UA108108. It seems to fit the steering rack end on the bottom but it won’t fit the top on the shaft or either I’m just not holding mouth right. Should I have a shop install it I mean it seems pretty simple. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:42 AM
turbohounds
Registered Member

Oh man it’s been a long time. I only recall it was a bitch to get it lined up just right. Maybe a little grease might help it slide on? Good luck, wish I had a trick to share.