General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:40 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works

Hi,

So I had my car returned from Nissan collision body shop after rear end accident.

The car came back & I am having problem w/ the Trunk Release button. Keyfob & trunk release switch (inside car) works but not when you press the button on the outside of the trunk next to the rear camera.

Took it back to Nissan body shop & they replaced the trunk release button switch & still doesn't work. They told me I can take it to Infiniti & have them diagnose it. They stated that if the problem is related to the accident then it will be covered but if not, I am responsible.

BTW... the trunk release button worked before the accident. I know because when I was rear ended, I press the trunk release & trunk opened but it would not close due to the accident . Also, I used it all the time when I go to the grocery store.

Want to know what I can check before taking it to the Infiniti dealership for diagnostic. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NOTE: I did a search & saw something about "BCM" replaced. What is BCM?

Last edited by tite_tite; 02-12-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I don't think it's the BCM (body control module). If it were, other things would likely not be working, nor would the fob/switch inside the car.

My *guess* is it's a wiring issue to this trunk switch at the trunk. Maybe wires got pinched during the collision or there's some other short. Not sure why the shop is pointing fingers. Their job is to return the car to precollision condition. I'd insist *they* get it repaired, even if they have to sublet it to infinti to do so.

You know what happens when there's too many chefs in the kitchen...
The following users liked this post:
tite_tite (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 02:09 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I don't think it's the BCM (body control module). If it were, other things would likely not be working, nor would the fob/switch inside the car.

My *guess* is it's a wiring issue to this trunk switch at the trunk. Maybe wires got pinched during the collision or there's some other short. Not sure why the shop is pointing fingers. Their job is to return the car to precollision condition. I'd insist *they* get it repaired, even if they have to sublet it to infinti to do so.

You know what happens when there's too many chefs in the kitchen...

Thanks for input. Yeah, they couldn't figure it out so they told me to go to Infiniti as they have equipment to run the scan, I guess.

I think you asked me to post pics of my accident from a different thread... I will try to do that soon. the repair came out to a whopping $12k.. Wowsa!! I paid like $14k for the car if I remembered correctly. The repair came out good except the trunk release button issue.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If it worked before, worked after the accident, and now it doesn't, how could it NOT be related to the repair? Sounds like the Nissan body shop screwed up something in the repair, can't figure it out, and wants someone else to figure it out for them.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:39 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Thought some more about this. I wonder if the issue is not with the switch at all. Rather, the antenna that picks up the smart fob. As you may recall there's one on each side of the car as well as somewhere in the back (fsm has exact locations). Possible the antenna is disconnected/broken?

Nissan's use a similar system on the altima/maxima and other cars with the smart fob key. Surely they must have a diagnostic procedure for determine fault.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:36 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Thought some more about this. I wonder if the issue is not with the switch at all. Rather, the antenna that picks up the smart fob. As you may recall there's one on each side of the car as well as somewhere in the back (fsm has exact locations). Possible the antenna is disconnected/broken?

Nissan's use a similar system on the altima/maxima and other cars with the smart fob key. Surely they must have a diagnostic procedure for determine fault.

I read something like this & also the wires may be cut and/or disconnected. The wires from the tube going to the button. They did put a new floor in the trunk so possible

this antenna is not the same as the car radio antenna, is it?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:07 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm also voting for the "Outside key antenna (rear bumper)". Pic below is with bumper removed. Not sure how accessible it is after the fact but maybe they just forgot to plug it in?
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works-trunk.ant.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
tite_tite (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 10:05 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 13_SkylineSedan
I'm also voting for the "Outside key antenna (rear bumper)". Pic below is with bumper removed. Not sure how accessible it is after the fact but maybe they just forgot to plug it in?

that's a nice diagram. thanks.

question: so if it is not plugged in, it will only affect the trunk release push button by the spoiler?

by it being unplugged, the keyfob & trunk switch (inside car by steering wheel) will still work?

I asking this so that way, if it is indeed this problem, then I will just take it to the infiniti dealership & have them to fix it so no more worries

thanks again.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:35 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

I believe that's true. Since your inside buttons and fob button open the trunk, that means trunk release and BCM are doing their thing. It's only when you press the external "request" button that this antenna comes into play and looks for your fob to be within a few feet... So it points to either that external button (which you say they replaced?) or this antenna, or the wires from both of these components.

Since you were able to open the trunk immediately after the accident then this is clearly something that was either damaged, not remounted, or not reconnected properly during the repair.

It's not "related to the accident" it's "related to the repair" and the shop should fix it for you.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:47 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^Yes I would think so. The antenna allows communications with the keyfob which authenticates the signal. If I recall, the keyfob communicates with a different antenna, which is why it still works.

I bet they just forgot to reconnect it after working on the rear end.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

So my license plate frame got messed up & went to the dealership to get a new one (they give it out for FREE,,didn't know ).. & noticed some plugs behind the plate. are these the plugs the diagram is referring to? i checked all & they appeared to be plugged in.

i have an appointment for diagnostic on Wednesday & they said $175 fee
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works-trunk-release.jpg   Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works-trunk-release-2.jpg   Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works-trunk-relase-3.jpg   Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works-trunk-release-4.jpg  
Old 02-20-2016, 11:29 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Yes, I believe that is the antenna in your 3rd pic. And it looks like it's connected at that point but hard to tell where the wire goes after that. The next connector may be wire to wire before it ducks into the body.

At least the dealer diagnosis should be able to quickly tell you what the problem is. And even if they say "yeah, we just reconnected a plug and now it's fine" the body shop that did the repair or the insurance company that paid should cover any charges. Because ... it worked before the repair.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Yeah, it has to only be obvious. There was a rear end collision and now the rear end button doesn't work lol, whoever is in charge over there is just being lazy and stubborn. Put your foot down and stop getting stepped on man, DO NOT pay that diagnostic fee and have that button fixed before too much time goes by and they say they cant.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Yes, I believe that is the antenna in your 3rd pic. And it looks like it's connected at that point but hard to tell where the wire goes after that. The next connector may be wire to wire before it ducks into the body.

At least the dealer diagnosis should be able to quickly tell you what the problem is. And even if they say "yeah, we just reconnected a plug and now it's fine" the body shop that did the repair or the insurance company that paid should cover any charges. Because ... it worked before the repair.

Let us know how it turns out.
Update...

So received a call from Infiniti. They are stating that the wire or wire harness (forgot the exact wording) are messed up & stated that it is accident related. Repair is something like getting a new wire harness or replacing wire & something like the wire runs to the front of the car. The wire messed up was indeed found in the trunk area so..

On a side note, they set me up on a QX60... just getting the kick out of the Remote Start... NICE!!

so finger still crossed & hopefully everything works out w/ my G37.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tite_tite
... BTW... the trunk release button worked before the accident. I know because when I was rear ended, I press the trunk release & trunk opened but it would not close due to the accident ...
Just making sure I read your original post correctly: After your accident, you stood behind the car with your key fob, pressed the trunk open request button, and the trunk opened (for the last time)? If that is true, all of these components including the wiring harness functioned correctly at that time. Now it's possible that during the repair just moving the parts or wiires finalized the failure of one or more of them. But that seems like quite a coincidence.

In any case, if Infiniti says it's "accident related" (even if it's "repair related") and the insurance company will cover it (which they should), then you should go ahead and let them repair it. Your car should be returned to fully functional condition. That's what we have insurance for!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works