Dealer or Independent Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:34 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey All,

New here! Long time lurker, but first time poster. Got a quick question. I have a 2012 G37xS coupe. I am currently at 42,000 miles and still running strong.

Would it be fine if I take my car to a trusted independent mechanic for both simple and major jobs (i.e. oil change, minor and major maintenances or repairs)?

I find the local dealers over charge (as expected), but before taking my G37 to an independent mechanic, I wanted to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:59 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts

I would use a trusted independent shop before the dealer, your right dealer are way too expensive , just make sure they're reputable
Old 08-23-2015, 01:18 AM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
I would use a trusted independent shop before the dealer, your right dealer are way too expensive , just make sure they're reputable
Thank you sir! Yeah, i've been paying dealer since buying the car new. I love the car, but hate the dealer.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:23 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
If it's a good independent shop, no reason they couldn't be trusted to work on your car.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:37 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by G37xS-Life
Thank you sir! Yeah, i've been paying dealer since buying the car new. I love the car, but hate the dealer.
lol yeah I feel you! No problem
Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xS-Life
Hey All,

New here! Long time lurker, but first time poster. Got a quick question. I have a 2012 G37xS coupe. I am currently at 42,000 miles and still running strong.

Would it be fine if I take my car to a trusted independent mechanic for both simple and major jobs (i.e. oil change, minor and major maintenances or repairs)?

I find the local dealers over charge (as expected), but before taking my G37 to an independent mechanic, I wanted to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!
I only trust the dealer to work on my G but that is just me
I'm on my second Infiniti both purchased from the same dealer.
Most good customers do not get ripped off.
Customers that dealers find to be a PITA may very well because they really do not want your business and don't care if you go elsewhere.

Telcoman
Old 08-23-2015, 01:53 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
I went independent. The dealership will in most cases overcharge for everything. My mechanic happens to have worked for Nissan and Infinity for 15 years before he started his own place. His pricing is soooooo much better than the dealer its not even funny. The stealership wanted $750 bucks for my 30k mile service...this guy did the same work for 275. That was enough for me!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes, dealers charge a bit more, but they know the Infiniti much better, they usually have any needed parts on hand, and are a must for warranty work.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:40 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chekov
Yes, dealers charge a bit more, but they know the Infiniti much better, they usually have any needed parts on hand, and are a must for warranty work.
Yeah, I've been thinking about this issue. Yes, their is the trust of infiniti dealer knowing the parts and install better, but I found that to be highly dependent on the tech who worked on my car. Sigh.....such a conundrum.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:04 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
I lucked out. Like I said my guy used to work for Infiniti and Nissan for 15-20 years before he opened his own place. He handles warranty work and anything else. Even provides a courtesy car if needed. Bottom line is do your research! If you find someone independent that you feel comfortable with...use him/her! If it is a warranty issue and you would feel better going to the dealer at that point then so be it. But no matter what, research the person, the dealer, everything! That extra bit of time researching can also save you some bucks
Old 08-24-2015, 12:08 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
I lucked out. Like I said my guy used to work for Infiniti and Nissan for 15-20 years before he opened his own place. He handles warranty work and anything else. Even provides a courtesy car if needed. Bottom line is do your research! If you find someone independent that you feel comfortable with...use him/her! If it is a warranty issue and you would feel better going to the dealer at that point then so be it. But no matter what, research the person, the dealer, everything! That extra bit of time researching can also save you some bucks
^ this. i've done both. going to a dealer or not is a personal decision. and some dealers are very good and provide fair service. but there is no guarantee that the work will be done well, or by an 'expert', at many dealers. it's the folks working on the cars that make all the difference, and the SM's ethics and operating practices.

most of the regional forums will be able to give recommendations for good local independent alternatives. our cars are not overly complex or problem-prone, and many experienced OE techs (i.e. Nissan) branch out and start their own shops - at least the good ones - when they are tired of working for the man and have the drive to provide a high level of service for a fair price.

that said, i believe warranty work must be done by an actual dealer. this is almost the only time i ever went in to the dealer. if i couldn't/didn't want to DIY, i have a trusted independent (former Nissan master tech) who does other services. his shop rates are $90/hr. dealer is $140/hr. Also, he provides fixed rates, not book time, for his labor.

aside from more reasonable labor rates, the nice thing about independents is they can provide OEM or aftermarket parts/fluids - or i can provide my own parts/fluids when i've found a smoking deal. i do this often.