General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Spongy Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Oh snap...

(I thought this was a family forum)

Old 03-20-2015, 03:01 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Would you guys recommend upgrading to the GTR fluid or should I just stick to regular dot 3/4? Any advantages of upgrading to the GTR fluid? Any noticeable difference by any chance?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:44 PM
vqsmile

When the dealer replaced my CSC and MC, they used the GTR fluid and said it was what they were now recommending per some ITB that came out. I do not have the number for that ITB. I can't tell the difference between the GTR spec and the regular fluid it used to have, but I think the improvement is supposed to be more in its ability to withstand heat and time better over the long run, not in the immediate 'feel'.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:13 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Okay guys, I need some serious help. I've been trying to remove the master cylinder from the car but have had no luck:

Name:  20150322_2136051.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  147.3 KB

Notice in the picture that I've gotten it off the firewall (aside from the rod) but cannot get enough room to get it to come up. I followed the instructions from GPL4 here https://www.myg37.com/forums/vendor-...ce-review.html but still am unable to remove it from the car.

Can anyone who has actually removed the master cylinder help?

Sorry vqsmile, but I had to try...
Old 03-23-2015, 02:25 AM
vqsmile

Did you loosen the ABS module and shift it to allow more room?

(And certainly no apology required. I always admire anyone who attempts their own repairs. )
Old 03-23-2015, 04:41 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Thanks vqsmile, I appreciate that. I knew I would run into some problems if i tried but it was really bugging me that I didn't at least give it a shot so I just had to try.

But yes, I did loosen the ABS module from the bottom and shifted it a bit. It provided some room for me to pull the MC out but not enough to take it all the way out. I'm not sure but maybe I'm not moving the module enough but it just seemed to not want to budge anymore and I'm afraid of forcing it and causing a kink in one of the lines somewhere so I stopped. There's just this black bracket that the module sits on top of that the MC hits and I cannot seem to get around it.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Take the pedal assy out, Its only one more bolt up top and will give you more room for the studs to clear the firewall. Turn the master upside down and it will come out above the ABS unit. There's one spot/position it will slide up out of there. If you still cannot manage to wiggle it out take the damper off the bottom with the master upside down in there, Then it will pop right out.
Another reason we use the 370Z master is that big damper is not on the bottom and they come right out.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZSpeedPerformance:
Dough1397 (03-23-2015), vqsmile (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 01:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Zspeed, this damper rod you're referring to, is that the MC plunger rod as circled in the pic below? Held in place by just the rubber boot, correct?

Spongy Clutch Pedal-tot0o32.jpg

Thanks for the removal info. I'm sure it'll come in handy some day. The surrounding design is truly retarded. The FSM tells you to disconnect and remove the hard lines from the ABS module.

@Slade, what did you use as a stud remover, 2 nuts tightened against one another?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:38 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

No the big round nut looking thing on the bottom of the master cylinder that the one in the pic does not have. That's the damper.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:41 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
@Slade, what did you use as a stud remover, 2 nuts tightened against one another?
I actually didn't remove the stud because I don't have a stud remover.

I'll attempt it again after work today and report back...hopefully with better news...
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance
No the big round nut looking thing on the bottom of the master cylinder that the one in the pic does not have.
That's the damper.
Zspeed,

I think I understand what you're referring to.

370Z CMC
Spongy Clutch Pedal-xvkyow6.jpg

G37 CMC
Spongy Clutch Pedal-fggh7sh.jpg

This damper piece you're referring to is circled in red in the 2nd pic, right? What purpose does this actually serve? Removal is just to unscrew counterclockwise with some channel locks or similar?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:43 PM
vqsmile

Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance

Another reason we use the 370Z master is that big damper is not on the bottom and they come right out.
That 370Z version is the same part number as the older ('07-'08) G35 used (Nissan # 30610-JK00B) right?

I didn't know they were 100% compatible with the G37's since they changed them.

That would be good to know, as I have an extra BNIB one that I've been holding back from listing here for the G37 crowd.

Last edited by vqsmile; 03-24-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:20 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Well guys, I tried...and I failed miserably!!! The space for movement down there was so tight that I could not maneuver the master around to flip it upside down as instructed. Removing the pedal definitely gave it more room and there was a point where it was coming out but the damper that ZSpeed talked about prevented it from having enough room to come out. If I was somehow able to flip it upside down and remove the damper then I think I would have gotten the master out but alas, the battle has been lost...

Anyways, in the end I just put everything back together and bled the system and the pedal feels nice and firm again (for now). I will be taking the car to a shop to do the work and given how much trouble it gave me, will gladly pay to have it done. lol

On a side note, I know a lot of people complain about how difficult it is to bleed the clutch system in these cars and I found that gravity bleeding is the best way to go. Anyone who read through this thread would see that the first time I bled the system in February, it took me over four and a half hours to bleed. This time it took me no more than 45 mins. I just cracked open the bleeder and let it drip and drip and drip until all the air bubbles were gone. Then I let it drip some more just for good measure and after a couple pumps inside the car, everything was nice and firm again. Hope this will be helpful for someone.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help. I really really appreciate it!! I hope to take the car in sometime this week if the shop isn't too busy. Hopefully afterwards all will be well...maybe? lol

Last edited by sLADe781; 03-24-2015 at 01:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Iilac (03-12-2016)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I may try the gravity bleed next time. I haven't ever had the hard time you have, but it does seem to require more pumping and sucking than any other clutch I've worked on to get it nice and firm (that's what she said!).
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

This is how we bleed them, Fill with fluid, Pump pedal with bleeder "Open" , Fill res again, Let gravity go for about a half of reservoir. Tighten bleeder, pump pedal until it gets pressure this should not take more than a few pumps, gravity bleed another half a reservoir, done.

If the master is weak nothing will work, If the master is good and strong it's all that needs done, If you have to fight it the master is weak and needs replaced.

Yes the 370Z and early G35 sedan 07-08 master is a direct fit into the G37, just deletes the damper on the bottom of the G37 master, all the damper is is a plate with 2 rubber seals on either side to dampen "any" feel the clutch had without it.

Quick Reply: Spongy Clutch Pedal