General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Anyone using royal purple auto tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM
brainpa

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone using royal purple auto tranny fluid?

All my past rides have gotten the Royal Purple treatment on all fluids. Currently running RP Engine oil...

I was wondering if any of you have replaced your auto tranny fluid w RP?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
If and when I decide to change the tranny fluid, I'll be using RP. Also will be testing it out for my oil change that's due soon. Right now I just have RP high compression oil in the pumpkin.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I've read a few bad reviews on rp for vq engines.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:35 PM
hotdawwgman
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
VQ's are very sensitive, but I haven't heard anything negative in the Auto tranny's. Me i prefer OEM. It works, its been proven, why gamble!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 PM
brainpa

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
I've read a few bad reviews on rp for vq engines.
Elaborate? Links?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
brainpa

I've used RP in all my vehicles, from my (sold) 500 rwhp 03 cobra, to my step sons Saturn, and an 07 Durango, which had a reputation for tranny problems. Ran like silk for >100K miles.

RP is proven, as far as a "non OEM" oil product is concerned.

So its not a gamble, but the VQ platform is new to me, so I am researching. Currently already have their engine oil in it.

I appreciate the comments. Keep em coming.

-J
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
"Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty."
Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine takes Matic S. I've seen no oil say that it can replace Matic S.....
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
brainpa

Originally Posted by Modme
"Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty."
Do you have it in your [modified] G? Nice ride BTW.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Thanks. I have a manual transmission and I use OEM tranny fluid.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 PM
abice

Brainpa what are you driving?

I have a 7at G37x coupe, the 7at is a sealed transmission unit and it is very tricky we us can't service it ourselves unless you have the fancy Infiniti machine that they use to keep the fluid the same exact temperature and drain it and fill it at the same time.

I've asked if I could use RP ATF and my infiniti tech said he doesn't even think he can change the fluid on the machine

I put RP ATF in the transfer case, I have 37k miles and have yet to have my ATF in my transmission changed I guess it doesn't give an interval to change the ATF in the transmission but 30k is usually a good time to change it, however its about $180 to change it.

I have RP gear oil in both front differential and rear differential, I use it as Engine Oil, I even have done a couple different oil analysis' using my RP engine oil at an interval of 10000 miles and Blackstone Labs didn't find anything wrong with the oil and said I could even go longer if I wanted, I won't but its still nice to know that I can get more out of it, I have recently switched to the new RP HPS oil using an oil filter from the Infiniti M, its a little bit bigger for more capacity, which I have always used on my car thats how it came stock and thats what I have used since

I would say I love RP fluids and will continue to use them in any car I get in the future
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I'd heed Nissan's note about using only Nissan fluid on the tranny. They're not strict on the other fluids except for the ATF one, for good reason.

I've read and seen many Nissan owners having issues with their transmissions and being denied warranty work after Nissan sees that the ATF was not in spec.

There's nothing wrong with Matic-x, and they're not ridiculously expensive either, so why fix what's not broken?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
abice

for the 7at they can't use another fluid in their machine to fill the transmission, so its not just putting another fluid in your transmission is putting a different fluid in their machine which apparently they can't do so it's pretty screwy do everything else the way you want but the tranny do it their way.

If you have a 5at you can change the tranny fluid yourself so if you want to use RP ATF in that scenario thats okay but if you have the 7at I wouldn't screw around with it
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brainpa
All my past rides have gotten the Royal Purple treatment on all fluids. Currently running RP Engine oil...

I was wondering if any of you have replaced your auto tranny fluid w RP?

Thanks
Royal Purple sucks, falls apart completely after a few k miles and has foaming problems. Lots of information on this oil from several credible sources, search around.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dimsler
Royal Purple sucks, falls apart completely after a few k miles and has foaming problems. Lots of information on this oil from several credible sources, search around.

you are the only one i have ever heard of that has said something like this. i have had friends that have heavily modded cars that use RP and love it, i have talked to performance shops that say they have never had problems with it, and i have spoken with mechanics that use nothing but RP in their vehicles and they have said nothing.

i'm not trying to doubt you, and i'm only asking this for my own knowledge, but can you please link some sources for your above statement so that i may read up on the topic?

thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone using royal purple auto tranny fluid?