General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

DIY Auto Transmission Fluid change??? Can't find

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Make sure they state exactly what they're going to do, it might just be a basic 1x drain & fill, which is ok if your mileage isn't much (like 30k or less), but if your G has 60k or more you should get the 3x drain & fill.

As far as the dealer really doing it, well you're basically putting your faith in them, but what you might do is ask if they could save the old fluid for you to look at. Don't know if they'd do that but wouldn't hurt to ask. I've done that before (for the very few times I ever let a dealer change any fluids) and it wasn't a problem.

Since the transmission doesn't have a dipstick you could tell them that's why you want to see the fluid and it's condition/smell.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:44 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
exactly, and if you think dealership will not rip you off think twice, thats why people do the work themselves besides saving money
Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
You'd be surprised what gets done some times. Brake flush... Just change the fluid in the reservoir.............customer will never know.

what you are commenting on is "not" a brake flush. there is no denying the tech only changed out the fluid in the master cylinder and activated the abs pump to cycle the sys. blame that on the service advisor for not informing the customer correctly. they are just salemen for the service dept trying to push a sale on a service or maintenance item. think about it, the cost of brake fluid and labor of the tech for what the service advisor tries to claim as a brake flush for the rock bottom price of $89.99? come on don't tell me you don't have the common sense to know thats too good to be true.
besides the poster stated he is apprehensive that the trans fluid may not be changed. i commented that the tech is not going to rip his azz off like that. this is different from what you are commenting in regards to getting sold a "brake flush" by the service advisor and getting the brake fluid changed in the master reservoir by the tech.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by staskz
exactly, and if you think dealership will not rip you off think twice, thats why people do the work themselves besides saving money
Ignorant comments like that is why people are confused. You should know going in the difference between a flush and change. Doesn't hurt to ask them questions and look a fool then not ask and post and be proven one.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:52 PM
ricpaq
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you heard the term "STEALERSHIP" in reference to dealerships?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Just wanted to offer my 2 cents. The reason people note to avoid "flushes" is because some of them are high pressure and dislodge particles in the system you are flushing potentially causing a bigger problem. Also..... the extractor/flush machine in some shops are used across a range of vehicles and never cleaned. So you may be getting all different types of transmission fluid remnants mixed through your lines when they flush your car.

Drain and fill will almost always be your best bet. Ask the dealership questions, that will be your best resource. If you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling inside.. then DIY the drain and fill at home.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
My post above is just some general thoughts on transmission services at any shop. Hoping to be helpful here. 😊
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (03-02-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:05 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

I got 123k on my 2010. Don't believe a transmission drain or flush has been done. Do u recommend a drain according to DIY tho car has 123k? Thnx n advance
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM
staskz
Registered Member

does anyone know if there is a procedure manual for the flush of the auto tranny in the g37? i wanna print it and bring it to the dealer to make sure thats what they would do instead of verbally trying to make sure its a flush and not just drain and fill.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

The only procedures listed for the G37 7AT in the FSM is the drain & fill, and fluid level confirmation/top off. There is no FSM listings for a AT flush procedure, at least non that I'm aware of.
Here's the link to a 2013 G37 FSM TM (Transaxle & Transmission) folder, maybe it will work for you, doesn't want to for me
Factory Service Manuals - NICO Club
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
The only procedures listed for the G37 7AT in the FSM is the drain & fill, and fluid level confirmation/top off. There is no FSM listings for a AT flush procedure, at least non that I'm aware of.
Here's the link to a 2013 G37 FSM TM (Transaxle & Transmission) folder, maybe it will work for you, doesn't want to for me

See page TM-261

Use only Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF. Never mix with other ATF.
• Using ATF other than Genuine NI
SSAN Matic S ATF will cause deteri
oration in driveability and A/T
durability, and may damage the A/T, which is not
covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited war-
ranty.
• When filling ATF, be careful not to sca
tter heat generating parts such as exhaust.
1. Step 1
a. Install the O-ring (315268E000) (A) to the charging

2. Step 2
a. Use CONSULT to check that the ATF temperature is 40
°
C (104
°
F) or less.
b. Lift up the vehicle.
c. Remove the drain plug from the oil pan, and then drain the ATF.
d. When the ATF starts to drip, temporarily tighten the drain plug to the oil pan.
NOTE:
Never replace drain plug and drain plug gasket with new ones yet.
e. Remove overflow plug from oil pan

Hope you know what you are doing

Perhaps you would be better off letting the dealer do it/
Go on a warm day when the shop doors are open and watch. Also ask to speak to the assigned tech doing the work and ask him any questions that you might have.

Telcoman
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks Telco^^^
That's only the fluid level/top off confirmation procedure. The full 3x drain and fill has quite a bit more steps and procedures.

Nowhere in the FSM is a flush stated or recommended so IMO it's best to stick to the drain & fills.

If you do decide to go ahead with the flush I'd ask to see the FSM procedure for that, and ask why they are doing that rather than the 3x drain & fill??
Old 05-15-2017, 06:02 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
It really bothers me how Infiniti do not specify if a transmission flush should be done for those of us with 7 speed automatic trans.

For those who have actually gotten this done at the dealer, how much was the cost? The local dealers here in Chicago is asking $200 for just a flush.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by G37xS-Life
It really bothers me how Infiniti do not specify if a transmission flush should be done for those of us with 7 speed automatic trans.

For those who have actually gotten this done at the dealer, how much was the cost? The local dealers here in Chicago is asking $200 for just a flush.
If they are charging $200 for the FSM procedure (3x drain & fill) that's a good price, if it's for a 1x drain & fill it's too high. And I would avoid the "flush" procedure at any price.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Eddie Ex
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire0nIc3
The 7 speed transmission is sealed, but your still suppose to change the transmission fluid. Infiniti of Massepequa changed it on mine with the 7 speed. You can change it but there just is no dipstick. You have to lift the vehicle up. Drain the old fluid from the drain plug. Then cut a spare vacuum hose and insert it in the fill port on the tranny fluid case. And fill it up partially with genuine Nissan Matic S fluid. Connect the Consult III machine up and confirm that the tranny temp is operating at exactly 40 degrees. You keep repeating these steps till it's full. The tranny uses 14 quarts of Nissan Matic S fluid.

They say it's lifetime fluid, but it's really not. By 100K miles your transmission will break down and deteriorate, and you will no longer have a warranty and will be left with a $10K repair for the tranny because that's how much it costs and the dealer wont give a **** by then. The only reason they say it's lifetime fluid is because they consider the lifetime of the car 10 years/120K miles by their standard. And because Matic S fluid is synthetic which is suitable for longer tranny fluid change intervals.
Couldnt be more nicely put.
And thx

Quick Reply: DIY Auto Transmission Fluid change??? Can't find