General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

2010 G37x Strange Shut Down Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:55 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2010 G37x Strange Shut Down Noise

I recently noticed strange noise coming from the engine compartment during shut off. In the video, after I say "go", the other person pushed the "start/stop" button to shut off the car. You'll hear several seconds of strange noise afterward. I don't know exactly where the noise come from and I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Any ideas?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_Faiz8-rUQ?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_Faiz8-rUQ?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by HappyG; 12-19-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
If you're referring to the squeaking-squealing sound after the engine shutdown, it sounds like the engine fan coming to a stop. When the VQ37VHR gets hot, an electric clutch is activated and starts the fan up to kep air flowing through the radiator. When the engine stops, it takes a moment for the fan and all ancillary parts to shut down. Audio wasn't great, but that's my best guess...

Nothing to get excited about- normal operation.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by dkmura
If you're referring to the squeaking-squealing sound after the engine shutdown, it sounds like the engine fan coming to a stop. When the VQ37VHR gets hot, an electric clutch is activated and starts the fan up to kep air flowing through the radiator. When the engine stops, it takes a moment for the fan and all ancillary parts to shut down. Audio wasn't great, but that's my best guess...

Nothing to get excited about- normal operation.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, the squeaking sound after the engine shutdown. The recorded audio quality is not the best, but it is really loud in real life. I could even hear it from inside the car. That's how I discovered the sound at first. Even if it is from the fan inside the engine, shouldn't it be more quiet? It sounds like a lot of friction...

I'm wondering does your G sound similar after or during shutdown?

Last edited by HappyG; 12-19-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:36 AM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never heard that sound from the cabin when i shut down.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:01 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't heard that sound on mine either. Next time I shut it off, I'll make sure the radio is off and maybe I'll hear something then.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by movinon
I haven't heard that sound on mine either. Next time I shut it off, I'll make sure the radio is off and maybe I'll hear something then.
It doesn't happen all the time. I started to notice it when the odometer was about 6000 miles. It happened once in a blue moon...so I ignored it. But now at 7000 miles I noticed it happen more frequent. I'll continue to observe to find under what condition it will cause the sound.

When it happens, it is sometimes more laud, sometimes less.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
jb606

If you can duplicated the sound regularly take in to the dealership.

I don't think the electric cooling fans would make that kind of squeaking sound on a car with so few miles. But I have no idea, other than the fans, what would still be free wheeling after the car is shutdown. If it were my car I'd take it in to have it looked at. If you can try to get the service advisor or a tech come out to the car with you while you try to demonstrate the sound. That way they can't say "The issue cannot be reproduced".
Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 AM
NonAme

might need some wd40
The following users liked this post:
VQHRLover (01-24-2014)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by jb606
If you can duplicated the sound regularly take in to the dealership.

I don't think the electric cooling fans would make that kind of squeaking sound on a car with so few miles. But I have no idea, other than the fans, what would still be free wheeling after the car is shutdown. If it were my car I'd take it in to have it looked at. If you can try to get the service advisor or a tech come out to the car with you while you try to demonstrate the sound. That way they can't say "The issue cannot be reproduced".
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->Thanks for the advice. I will bring it in when I can consistently reproduce the condition. I don’t want to hear them saying “This issue cannot be reproduced”.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:35 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by NonAme
might need some wd40
I will be happy if that can be simply fixed with wd40.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
MaluG37

I've recently heard some squeek noise when I turn off the car. Never checked under the hood, but like you said its hard to reproduce. My car only has 4k on it and it started making the noise once the cold weather hit.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by MaluG37
I've recently heard some squeek noise when I turn off the car. Never checked under the hood, but like you said its hard to reproduce. My car only has 4k on it and it started making the noise once the cold weather hit.
In my case, the cold weather is not a factor. I just tried it. Just warmed up the car in the garage. Shut it down and I heard the squeaking noise.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mine has does the same thing in the cold since first ownership -- i always forget to discuss w/ the service guys when I take it in.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM
HappyG

I finally pin pointed where the squeaking noise come from. And it is consistently making noise after engine is shutdown.

The squeaking noise come from the motor as indicated in the red circle of the photo above.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm...

I would have thought the noise was coming from the radiator fan slowing down .. but I believe you if you heard it loudest at the area circled...

I wonder why it only occurs for me in the cold -- i would think something in that area would be very warm and less likely to make the noise?
The following users liked this post:
ambassador (03-06-2014)

Quick Reply: 2010 G37x Strange Shut Down Noise