General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

2010 G37x Strange Shut Down Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:18 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I now can reproduce the noise 100% of the time after engine is shutdown. And begin to hear it intermittently while the engine is on. It is hard to hear it while the engine is on due to the normal engine noise, but the noise is really there.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm... I agree that the noise sounds like external rotation slowing down. Not anything internal. Whether that is fans, or pulleys I don't know. My best guess would be a bearing in a pulley thats starting to go bad.

As to your location... I wouldn't think that'd be the spot. Only thing inside that area is a "Butterfly". I'm wondering if the sound is perceiving to be that location.

Lastly, if its continuing to get worse and more pronounced, leaning more towards the bearing idea..
Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Hmm... I agree that the noise sounds like external rotation slowing down. Not anything internal. Whether that is fans, or pulleys I don't know. My best guess would be a bearing in a pulley thats starting to go bad.

As to your location... I wouldn't think that'd be the spot. Only thing inside that area is a "Butterfly". I'm wondering if the sound is perceiving to be that location.

Lastly, if its continuing to get worse and more pronounced, leaning more towards the bearing idea..
I'm 100% sure the noise is from that spot. I hear it and also feel it with my fingers there. Time to visit the dealer and let them handle it.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
HappyG

I dropped off my car in the dealer today and expected them to fix the noise problem. They called me back in the evening and said they cannot duplicate it!

I didn't believe them. So I rushed back to the dealer to show them. NO NOISE!!! Tried to start and shutdown several more times, still no noise.

After I arrived home and pull into my garage, I HEAR THE SQUEAKING NOISE AGAIN!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I dropped off my car in the dealer today and expected them to fix the noise problem. They called me back in the evening and said they cannot duplicate it!

I didn't believe them. So I rushed back to the dealer to show them. NO NOISE!!! Tried to start and shutdown several more times, still no noise.

After I arrived home and pull into my garage, I HEAR THE SQUEAKING NOISE AGAIN!!!
Typical... lol. If that's the spot, curious to hear the outcome...

...you should play them your video.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Typical... lol. If that's the spot, curious to hear the outcome...

...you should play them your video.
First thing I did at the dealer was showing the video to the adviser from my phone. He acknowledged the problem exists, but if they cannot reproduce the problem there is nothing much they could do over there. He invite me to go back to him any time I could reproduce the problem there.

I was able to reproduce and showed the problem to my mechanic friend. He said the noise is from the throttle body. This confirms the spot I circled on the photo.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Hmmm...

I would have thought the noise was coming from the radiator fan slowing down .. but I believe you if you heard it loudest at the area circled...

I wonder why it only occurs for me in the cold -- i would think something in that area would be very warm and less likely to make the noise?
I recommend that you bring it to the dealer and have them check it out if you could reproduce it in the cold. I'm leaning toward to believe it is a defective throttle body.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
HappyG

The dealer confirmed the noise is from the throttle body. They say it's normal for 2010 G and to proof it, they showed me one of their loaner car with the same noise after shutdown.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the dealer explain to you exactly what is occurring in the throttle body that is causing the noise and why it is not consistent each time you shut down? I would expect a valid explanation for something that intermittently makes noise after engine shut down. It's probably good to keep this documented in the event you and possibly others experience premature throttle body failure.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
The throttle bodies DO make a noise, but that noise is specific and sounds nothing like in the video. The noise the TB's make is similar to a buzzing sound, which lasts for 1 second maybe 2 after shut down. The noise in the video is like something is rotating, and sounds very much like a bad bearing, probably in one of the fans (Since the belt came to a complete stop before the sound stopped).
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by gee wiz
Did the dealer explain to you exactly what is occurring in the throttle body that is causing the noise and why it is not consistent each time you shut down? I would expect a valid explanation for something that intermittently makes noise after engine shut down. It's probably good to keep this documented in the event you and possibly others experience premature throttle body failure.
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
The throttle bodies DO make a noise, but that noise is specific and sounds nothing like in the video. The noise the TB's make is similar to a buzzing sound, which lasts for 1 second maybe 2 after shut down. The noise in the video is like something is rotating, and sounds very much like a bad bearing, probably in one of the fans (Since the belt came to a complete stop before the sound stopped).
Yes the tech explained to me and it made sense...it was technical so I didn't I don't recall the exact words he said. It wasn't consistent because it depends on a number of factors. In any case, my mechanic friend also looked at my G and say it's normal and that there is nothing to worry about. Since both the dealer and my trusted friend told me it's normal, I consider this case closed.

I originally believed the sound was from only the passenger TB...but the tech showed me it was from both TB.

They put a comment in the invoice about the noise and called it normal. So I have it documented just in case something really bad happen in the future.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like a belt.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:37 PM
apexi957

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've actually been noticing that everyday, but i ignored it because i believed it was normal lol..
Old 01-29-2011, 01:43 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my G does that .. the '37... and was told it was normal by the stealership...

my '08 G35 does not do that.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
taverty

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's funny my car makes the exact same sound on shutdown. I already took it to the dealership for it and they also said it was normal. But I've been in other G37's from 09-12 and they didn't have the problem.

I know you said you thought it was the throttle body, I really think mine is the fan motor. The sound is much louder at the fan motor than anywhere else. Are you all sure it's the throttle body and not a possible batch of defective fan motors?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2010 G37x Strange Shut Down Noise