General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37
View Poll Results: Grounding Kit Causing Battery Failure?
I have had a grounding kit for at least 6 mths with NO battery failure BEFORE TSB's.
10.96%
I have had a grounding kit for at least 6 mths with NO battery failure AFTER TSB's..
10.96%
I have had a grounding kit for at least 6 mths WITH battery failure BEFORE TSB's.
6.85%
I have had a grounding kit for at least 6 mths WITH battery failure AFTER TSB's..
6.85%
I have NO grounding kit WITH battery failure after TSB's.
8.22%
I have had NO battery failure.
56.16%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Grounding Kit Causing Battery Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What did BB himself have to say about this? I had my TSB done and just installed this Grounding Kit 150 miles ago! Works fine but now I'm scared lol , Black Betty what do u think about this???
Old 04-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
From what I've read, it's obvious BB is very honest, up front, and realistic. But on the other hand he is not an Electrical engineer, rather a helpful car enthusiast. I believe his viewpoint is in his customers.. 1000's of grounding kits out there, and everyone hasn't seemed to have a problem.

The other side of this are the few electric professionals who really understand how it works and say it will in one way or another have an effect on the OEM sensor as specified in the manual. Although possibly just bypassing the sensor and making the charging system go "default" just like every other car, hence no problems. The very very few here who state they DID have problems, who knows? Coincidence? Fluke?

Nissan engineers know that something will happen with there design if a direct ground is used. Although, not necessarily negative or noticeable.

BB Has said many many times throughout threads, no one is forced to buy his kit. Take it or leave it, but the reason so many have is the fact that people are experiencing POSITIVE results. Proof is in the pudding.

...my view is the kit helps on a noticeable level in a few different aspects (only from research and tons of thread reading, don't have one). DO I think the battery ground effects the original design? Seems so. But, I don't think it is negative or hurting anything. I would be curious to see the idea previously said about running the BB wire through this sensor along with the OEM. OR replace the OEM with a large gauge and keep it's current location through sensor.

I think it's safe to use regardless. If you don't like the idea of altering the OEM design, or fall in the extremely low percent that feels it negatively effected the car, disconnect the battery ground, and keep the rest. <--I'm assuming, and asked earlier in this thread, if people who have done this still benefit from the gains. I would imagine because so you're still helping the grounding path and the stock battery ground is not terrible at all.

BB - Please correct me if I've misrepresented you in any way!!! ...I was up late last night reading old threads on your kit for hours. One specifically on the g35 site that was 17+ pages.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am one of the ones that experienced battery drainage and I am also one of the people that disconnecting the ground to the battery fixed the issue. I agree with you 100% and I praise having a grounding kit on my car. Like you said I just disconnected the wire going to the battery, but I had done it months ago, the kit still works and my battery doesn't drain.

If you are having problems with the battery TRY it. If it doesn't work put it back on and try something else. That's what problem solving is all about, try one thing and see if it makes a difference.

After all is said and done I would definitely buy a grounding kit if I didn't have one already.

Last edited by Dieseldoug22; 04-21-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have intentionally stayed out of this thread from the beginning as I sell grounding wires and can certainly understand how anyone might not feel any viewpoint I put forth is or can be objective. However, since you (VossenG37S) specifically asked my thoughts I'll state them briefly FWIW.

In my opinion and experience, no I don't believe that installing grounding wires - mine or anyone else's - will negatively affect your battery. My personal experience with my own '08 bears this out to me. I had the battery drain issue. This is long before I ever installed any grounding wires. It persisted after I installed wires; it did not make it better ore worse. I removed the wires just to make sure. It persisted. I had the TSB performed. The battery problem ceased. I reinstalled grounding wires. It still hasn't come back. The TSB fixed my issue on my car. The grounding wires were a non factor in this issue. I personally believe that will be the case for everyone. If anyone chooses to believe otherwise, so be it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
Absinthe (03-04-2016), Zelf24 (03-30-2016)
Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for your input ! I honestly appreciate the feedback from your personal experience. I only have felt improvement w my BBGW and don't wanna remove them at all , driving my car it feels more lively ! Lol time will tell I have 170 miles w them they are great and they are everything I read I'n reviews! Thanks BB .
Old 04-22-2011, 12:54 AM
kmp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I just had my battery changed (for free) and at 37 months! When I called the dealer they told me that the messed up with the 08's and they went out with a battery without enough cranking power. I charged my battery and took it in and replaced the battery and sensor. No Charge! ....and I don't have the grounding cable, I should though.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ugh left car untouched for 3 weeks and battery died, had the car for 2 yrs w/ grounding wires.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 PM
TomsG37

Seems to me a voltmeter would tell you if you are going to potentially have a problem with the battery charging. Per the original post, 13 volts = no good and 14.3 volts = good.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
TexasGMan

13 Volts would still charge a 12 volt battery. Just not as quickly. So its only a issue if your car is a garage queen!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats BB for your post. I am in no way bashing on you. I am just trying to see if there is a trend with grounding kits in general and to find a solution. I have had mine off for about a year now and no battery drain. It could just be a coincidence since I still had them on when they did the TSB's. However, knowing that you had no problems with a GK still on after the TSB's is a good sign. I am actually going through litgation with Nissan north america over this issue. They are trying to say that my mods and my grounding kit caused the battery failure, which I know to be untrue since I also had the issue prior to any mods.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
You left out the "grounding wires are a waste of $$$" choice.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Tennessee

So did anyone figure out how to deal with the Battery current sensor?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM
G37Avi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be installing a grounding kit shortly, and after reading all of the posts on this forum and other forums i am a little confused....

I understand that some people decided to just disconnect the grounding kit wire going to the negative battery terminal... Do they mean disconnecting the grounding wire from negative battery terminal to chassis, leaving the rest off the grounding points connected?

If so, im assuming this would mean connecting all of the other grounding points and not having any of them running directly to the negative battery terminal? Which i guess you could still connect all of the other grounding points to the chassis, so long as none of them connect to the negative battery directly?

I apologize if this is a little confusing, but i really dont want to bypass that sensor by the negative battery terminal if i dont have to.

If it makes a difference, i have a 2012 g37 xs, 7at.

thank you guys...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2008 Coupe: I connected everything according to instructions. Battery/engine/throttle body/chassis. Even scraped the paint on the two chassis connections.

Never had an incident of drain. Still on.

Coop
Old 07-14-2012, 12:23 AM
sistylez

I have had battery drain issues with a grounding kit on. The battery only dies when I leave the car on the "on" and "acc" mode for anything longer than 5 mins. I haven't had the TSB performed yet but will probably just disconnect the wire going to the negative terminal for now and see what the situation is afterwards. As always, myg37.com is full of resources and extremely helpful!

Quick Reply: Grounding Kit Causing Battery Failure