General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Cannot Pump a Full Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cannot Pump a Full Tank?

The problem of not being able to get a full tank seems to be getting worse. After it clicked as if it were full the first time I pulled the trigger again, and set it, and did that about 3 or 4 times. When I got back in the car it still wasn’t a full tank, I manually pumped about 2-3 galllons myself. I have no idea what could be causing this and it happens with different gas stations and different pumps. They seemed to have fixed my Evap. Fuel Leak CEL but now I can't fill my car up all the way without risking gas splurging out back at me if I miss judge the amount that is already pumped.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas about what this could be?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pump on slow.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Graham
Premier Member

They typically are on a slow pace, I've tried that, this morning it took me about 15 min to pump gas, where as at a fast pace I'm there for like 3-5 mins max. I thought I was going to be late because it was pumping so slow.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
M last couple fillups have been similar. Once it gets around 3/4 full it keeps shutting off like it is full. Then I can only get it work if I pump the gas real slow. I really dont fill up past 3/4 most the time anyway but still kinda annoying.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Graham
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Kidcane
M last couple fillups have been similar. Once it gets around 3/4 full it keeps shutting off like it is full. Then I can only get it work if I pump the gas real slow. I really dont fill up past 3/4 most the time anyway but still kinda annoying.
See I have to fill up about 2-3 times a week. So when I'm missing almost a 1/4 tank, now I'm taking an extra trip to the gas station.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 AM
elite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2...niti/G37+Coupe
Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
so you gonna go for the lemons now Graham?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Graham-

My car did the same thing. I took it into the dealership and ended up getting the fuel tank replaced. There was a "device" in the neck of the fuel tank which was not functioning properly and would not allow you to fully fill the tank. (I forgot what the "device" was called, and my repair docs are nowhere near me at this time. I can check it out when I get home from work.) Once they put a new fuel tank in the car, I have never had a problem since. I would venture to guess that your gas tank has the same issue as mine did.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
elite

Graham = Pencil Neck
Old 03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Originally Posted by NotUrG
Graham-

My car did the same thing. I took it into the dealership and ended up getting the fuel tank replaced. There was a "device" in the neck of the fuel tank which was not functioning properly and would not allow you to fully fill the tank. (I forgot what the "device" was called, and my repair docs are nowhere near me at this time. I can check it out when I get home from work.) Once they put a new fuel tank in the car, I have never had a problem since. I would venture to guess that your gas tank has the same issue as mine did.
Thanks for the info, I'll pass that along to the Service guys, but they don't listen very well. So hopefully tomorrow they'll call to tell me the entire gas tank is being replaced.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Originally Posted by elite
Graham = Pencil Neck
I hate you......
Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Even though I hate you, do you know where a PDF of this is. I'm going to print this off, but I enjoy shoving PDF print out of it in their faces.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Graham
Thanks for the info, I'll pass that along to the Service guys, but they don't listen very well. So hopefully tomorrow they'll call to tell me the entire gas tank is being replaced.

I'll make myself a note to look for that repair order when I get home and try to scan it in and email it to you so you can take it to the dealership tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
elite

Originally Posted by Graham
Even though I hate you, do you know where a PDF of this is. I'm going to print this off, but I enjoy shoving PDF print out of it in their faces.

Every file I found was corrupt. My search engine only finds weirdo pics.
Good Luck! oh and I hate you too. But Luv yo mammies whispering eye!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elite
Every file I found was corrupt. My search engine only finds weirdo pics.
Good Luck! oh and I hate you too. But Luv yo mammies whispering eye!

Been watching "Role Models" a bit much lately, have we Elite? HA HA! (for those not in the know....whispering eye means vagina, at least according to that movie)

Quick Reply: Cannot Pump a Full Tank?