General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Whats preview braking?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM
RoCkY86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats preview braking?

Now I ordered My G37 a few weeks ago. Got everything except the 4was. But on the technology package they give you adaptive front lights, ICC, and Preview braking. Can anyone tell me what is Preview braking and how it works?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:34 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RoCkY86
Now I ordered My G37 a few weeks ago. Got everything except the 4was. But on the technology package they give you adaptive front lights, ICC, and Preview braking. Can anyone tell me what is Preview braking and how it works?
I think Preview Braking is when the care slows down faster/sooner due to you taking your foot off the gas quickly and putting it on the brake. It predictes that you are trying to stop quickly so it brakes faster for you. I "think" that is what it is.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
SeismicGuy

I wonder if they will come out with "preview acceleration" where the car senses that there is some jerk next to you at the light that wants to race--JUST KIDDING!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
IP37

read the manual.. i was bored at work yesterday reading through it and saw something about it. can't remember what all it said though
Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
N50

Originally Posted by bullitt464
read the manual.. i was bored at work yesterday reading through it and saw something about it. can't remember what all it said though
That was very helpful. LOL
Old 08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Memphoman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
system determines distance to an object in front of U and decides how much braking is need to stop in the distance allowed. It is not collision avoidance nor warning.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:40 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
just hope that you'll never have to experience what it does.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Memphoman
system determines distance to an object in front of U and decides how much braking is need to stop in the distance allowed. It is not collision avoidance nor warning.
I doubt that's correct. Even with ICC enabled the system will only break up to 20% of it's capability when in cruise. Other then that the system dosen't control break application.

The ICC laser is always on and monitoring the distance from the vehicle ahead. If it detects your closing with the vehicle ahead rapidly and will need to break it pre-pressurizes the breaks for maximum efficiency, thats it. It also tightens your seat belt.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 01-24-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:20 PM
tank21

Preview Braking works side-by-side with Brake Assist. Whereas normal
braking is activated only when the driver recognizes the need and moves his or her foot to activate the brake pedal, the preview function utilizes the ICC sensors to identify potential sudden braking situations (by sensing the vehicle ahead in the same lane and the distance and relative speed from it) and “pre-pressurizes” the Brake Assist system before the driver steps on the brake pedal. This helps maximize braking response and performance by reducing the normal brake system activation time.
“Pre-crash” front seat belts tighten under emergency braking in anticipation of an evasive maneuver or crash to help enhance the position of the driver for emergency maneuvering control.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Orbie

Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but figured it was relevant. Has anyone actually experienced the pre-crash seatbelts in their G37's yet? I'm thinking these things only activate on front end collisions, as the ICC probably plays a part, seeing as this feature only comes on cars with the technology package.

I was driving down a road yesterday at around 50km/h when another car pulled out of a side street right in front of me. Not sure if it was anyone's fault as cars were parked on the sides of the road making it hard to see oncoming traffic. Anyways, the guy pulls out and brakes and I had about 5 feet to come to a complete stop. The brakes which are normally pretty spongy in everyday driving stopped the car on a dime, this must have been the pre-loading of the brake system sensing an impending crash. Didn't really have much time to notice that though, just wanted to stop. What I did notice that caught me off guard was this really loud zip sound as the seatbelt literally sucked me back into the seat. It happened in the blink of an eye so caught me completely by surprise, the grip was so tight I could barely breathe as well. Luckily, nothing else happened, but thought it was good to know that the safety systems on the car were working properly.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep that sounds like what happened to me yesterday on Gateway. I was cut off by 23rd ave and had to HIT the binders. And then what you discribed.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 PM
BayG37

Well - I guess I'll go ahead and bring this one back up also.
I'm picking up my G37 tomorrow afternoon sometime.

With regards to the pre-crash seatbelts, for anyone who wants to experience them, it's actually an easy procedure, and for most intelligent drivers - wouldn't put you in any danger.

Go to a abandon parking lot or other secluded area. Once there, stop the vehicle completely. Firmly hold your break, then press the gas and let the tires spin for 2-4 seconds, or until the ECU stops them from spinning. At that very moment, the seat belts will activate their pre-crash mode.

In a stick, the process is slightly trickier. Unless you've done a break-stance in a stick vehicle before, I'd suggest you just do it at a local dealer on a test drive with an auto ;-)

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
DIGITALG37

well. whatever the hell it is. It saved me money on my car insurance. I went from $148 a mth on a 6 mth term for a 2005 G35X Sedan to $121 a mth on a 6 mth term for a 2008 G37S Coupe... I'm 25 with a pretty fair driving record...

Nationwide baby!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
El Gabito

Thought I'd update this since it comes up so high in Google search results

Intelligent Brake Assist | NISSAN | TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES