Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad News - car is totaled

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 12:24 PM
KillTyrant

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sad News - car is totaled

While I havent posted much since I signed up about 3 years ago, Ive always came here first when I had a question about something involving my baby. Within a few clicks and key words, my questions were answered. 2 saturdays ago, I was involved in a multi-vehicle accident... me being the middle of it all. Stop and go traffic on a highway. I stopped when the person behind me wanted to go. At first, it looked like superficial damage to the front and rear bumper and some work to replace a muffler that looked more rectangle than a circle. Simple and easy fix, thats what every single person ive dealt with up to this point has told me. This past tueday I get a call from my insurance adjuster and the first question out of his mouth is "Are you okay?". Me being confused answer "im fine, why?"

"Your car is totaled, she had to hit you going 40 or higher to do the damage she did to your car"

Mind you, im in the middle of a 10 hour train ride back to Pennstation NYC that started at 450am. So needless to say, I was resting right before this call so I thought maybe I misheard him. "Did you just say my car is totaled?"

"yeah, shes hurt really bad"

The following day, I got to the bodyshop I towed my car to and I had the shop owner show me the damage that warrants that assessment. Her car was a 2019 BMW S5. That car I guess rides a bit lower than my g37x, so when her bumper impacted mine it managed to push the impact bar and fold it upwards which then gave her car cart blanche to fully hit my spare wheel well which crumbled and folded which diverted the excess energy to both of my rear tire wheel wells and did tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage to the frame. Total loss.

Im still in the middle of dealing with the whole "how much am I getting" part so I am kinda free falling in terms of a car and what my next move is as I still owed money on it. It just sucks. I spent months and going to more then a handful of different used lots and dealerships to get this car. The car I wanted.. and just like that. The actions of some distracted 20 year old female took it away. Depending on what happens, this might be my last post here, but I just wanted to thank everyone who is active here and especially those who go out of there way to give honest advice and answers to the questions posed here.

See ya in another lane peeps
The following users liked this post:
dudeherezmycar (06-25-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Travon
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow! Glad you're ok! Sorry for your lost...
Old 05-22-2019, 02:14 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
on another note, it's just a car, and youll get your money and get another one. things come and go, you're unhurt and she is. gold bless her and you
slartibartfast (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 06:08 PM
Evorus5
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just went through this last week, glad you're okay.
The way I was hit, the car did a good job taking care of me. I'm sure it took care of you.
Sucks that we have to find a new one but I'm sure it'll be better than the last!
Good luck with everything!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Audi S5? You sure you’re okay?

I did traffic accident investigation for a few years, and I am still very interested in how the physics of accidents play out.

From the sounds of it the car was in panic stop mode when it impacted. I would say the driver saved you, but let’s face it, it was the car. She was probably checking her instafacetweet.

I assume she hit you hard and low, do you have any stiffness on your upper torso, bruising on your shoulder/pectoral? Or a stiff back that feels like you just carried too much and you are in need for an adjustment? If she submarined enough to miss your crash beam, and that hard, you could have injury more akin to an abrupt upwards acceleration, rather than the traditional forward.

Good luck and glad to hear the car took it like a chance. That’s what they are designed for!

enjoy the hunt for something new!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Remember if insurance pays you less than residual value for the car you can sue her for property loss damages.
Atowsley (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 01:44 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
i think he wanted to say bmw x5
Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by staskz
i think he wanted to say bmw x5

No way an x5 submarined enough to not mangle the trunk, let alone miss the crash beam. Maybe m5?!
Atowsley (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
At least you’re not seriously injured. This reminds me I need to get aftermarket part insurance on my ride. Any pics of the damage?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:00 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts

I got T boned last year but man this car was amazing took all the impact I got hit at 60mph by a GMC 1500 and got out the car like nothing happened. But I’m glad you are okay and at the end of the day a car is a car and you will find another one. Always remember things happen for a reason.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:26 AM
mindonmatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My G37S sedan just got totalled too. Just picked up a VW GTI. Awesome car!
Old 05-27-2019, 10:07 PM
KillTyrant

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Im in a much better head space atm so ill clarify some things asked in thread.

The car that hit me was a 2019 BMW 5 series (5S for short). It was hard and low but it didnt look bad at all until you removed panels. I owed 10k on the car but got ~16k for it so im not in the red. I didnt suffer any injuries nor stiffness. I had a really bad accident 7 to 8 years ago where I got banged up pretty good so I know what wipelash and all those good things feel like. Didnt get any of that. If possible I actually want another 2013 g37x. I absolutely loved the car and the ride so ill check in with the same dealership that I dealt with when I got her the first time.

She treated me really well and kept me safe, tomorrow im picking up my check and heading over to the dealership, wish me luck
Old 05-28-2019, 11:49 AM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Dealership?

Going to get a new car?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:14 PM
DC4582

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a terrible feeling. I totaled my 2012 x sedan on a deer last December doing about 90 - thing is a rock though, I just calmly decelerated and pulled off the highway. I was in a Volkswagen GLI for a few months after that, then I found a nice replacement - 2013 x sedan with the 18" wheel package and only 49k on the odometer (yes it has a side molding kit I will probably take it off if I can). Keep looking - you'll find one eventually.

Also - as someone who test drove 3 different 3.7 q50's - just don't bother. The steering feel is hideous compared to the G's. You could maybe go with a q40 (rebranded G) if you don't mind the dropped features (memory seats and the power telescope/tilt steering wheel afaik).

Old 05-28-2019, 06:02 PM
KillTyrant

Originally Posted by teahead
Dealership?

Going to get a new car?
New Used car. Since ive been on time with all my payments and was scheduled to actually finish paying it off 1.5 years before maturation, I figure they could work with me better then some other random dealership that I dont have a rapport with. Other then that, im checking local listings and seeing if anything looks good.

Originally Posted by DC4582
That's a terrible feeling. I totaled my 2012 x sedan on a deer last December doing about 90 - thing is a rock though, I just calmly decelerated and pulled off the highway. I was in a Volkswagen GLI for a few months after that, then I found a nice replacement - 2013 x sedan with the 18" wheel package and only 49k on the odometer (yes it has a side molding kit I will probably take it off if I can). Keep looking - you'll find one eventually.

Also - as someone who test drove 3 different 3.7 q50's - just don't bother. The steering feel is hideous compared to the G's. You could maybe go with a q40 (rebranded G) if you don't mind the dropped features (memory seats and the power telescope/tilt steering wheel afaik).
Glad you made it out of that the way you did. Had a number of direct friends and friends of friends in alot worse conditions from deer collisions. Im glad you also found another one of these awesome cars.
I also heard those kinda of complaints about the 2015 and earlier q50 models. Any experience with the 2016 as I was potentially looking into that one as an easier to obtain alternative to my g37.

Quick Reply: Sad News - car is totaled