G37 Sedan

G37 spoiler options

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 spoiler options

Hey guys how’s it going? I’m new to the forum and new to the g family.

I have had my 2013 g37xs sedan for about a year now.

I was thinking of upgrading my spoiler to a carbon fibre duck tail. I don’t like the look of the flat stock on and prefer the look of the flick at the end of the trunk. And seeing my cars black it won’t be too aggressive with the carbon touch.

This is the current wing and I’m just wondering if it is mounted via tape or drilled in from two sides? Or both?

And this is the wing I’m looking to get. If anyone else has had experience with these wings that would be great to know.

Basically if the stock one is drilled in and the carbon one is not then I’ll pass on the mod. Thanks for the info I’ll come back with more questions for your guys!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:00 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The oem wing/spoiler you currently have installed is attached by four screws and 3M mounting tape. Two screws are located underneath the chrome trim, the other two are drilled directly onto the trunk surface. Unless you have the original chrome trim piece, I don't think it's feasible to swap out the trunk spoiler, as it houses the backup camera and trunk release button.

I believe the carbon fiber spoiler you are interested in attaches with 3M mounting tape instead of screws. There are plenty of forum members that have installed a similar ebay carbon fiber trunk spoiler. The style is a little different than the one you posted - lip doesn't protrude as high up, so it's more low profile. Some seemed to really like it, others not so much. One issue that most agreed on is the positioning of the cutouts for the backup cam and trunk release are poorly fitted. Not sure if that will be the issue with this spoiler, but something to keep in mind.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Darn. Ya I don’t really want to leave open holes. And I assumed the chrome lip would be present under the spoiler. Though it sounds like the sport models just throw on a spoiler with it built in.

Is the stock spoiler functional or just for aesthetics? At least I’ll feel better not changing it if it serves a purpose. Hahaha it looks pretty ugly in my opinion.

Thanks for the info
Old 05-11-2019, 10:48 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
^it's just for looks (and to hold the rear camera in place).

The flat OEM spoiler ("ironing board") has been kind of a quirky Infiniti design feature since the original V35 coupe. Totally agree that it doesn't really fit that well with the rest of the car's design, but I've kinda embraced it as a signature look for the G

Old 05-11-2019, 11:51 AM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Starbuck393
Darn. Ya I don’t really want to leave open holes. And I assumed the chrome lip would be present under the spoiler. Though it sounds like the sport models just throw on a spoiler with it built in.

Is the stock spoiler functional or just for aesthetics? At least I’ll feel better not changing it if it serves a purpose. Hahaha it looks pretty ugly in my opinion.

Thanks for the info
You are correct that the chrome lip piece has to be present under it to hold the camera and release button in place. If you wanted to swap would be to get a used chrome piece from a someone or a junkyard swap your camera over, seal up the outer holes on the physical trunk with some rust prevention and some rubber and you would be set.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

In other words..... shut up, stop complaining, you have a nice car compared to most, keep the stock spoiler and stop crying.

Got it. Instead I’ll just polish the car and ceramic it then I’ll forget all about the spoiler. Bet this moving magical self healing paints a B to polish.......
Old 05-11-2019, 02:13 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info
I’m not 100% certain about this, but I don’t think there’s a chrome trim piece beneath the oem trunk spoiler. When I installed mine, I had to replace the chrome trim/lip with a separate black trim that houses the trunk release and back-up cam and mounts the spoiler to the trunk lid.

So yeah, I have a used chrome trim if you decide to change it up.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Granddaddypurp

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lol if you dont like it, take it to a bodyshop and put something you like on..

Personally i think the stock spoiler is sexy and subtle, while the carbon fiber duckbill is not something i would ever put on lookswise...
The following users liked this post:
Atowsley (06-06-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Originally Posted by afrayedknot
I’m not 100% certain about this, but I don’t think there’s a chrome trim piece beneath the oem trunk spoiler. When I installed mine, I had to replace the chrome trim/lip with a separate black trim that houses the trunk release and back-up cam and mounts the spoiler to the trunk lid.

So yeah, I have a used chrome trim if you decide to change it up.
I watched a few videos of the instal and the cut outs don’t fit that well. I think I’m just going to learn to love it.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the Stillen.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
I have the Stillen.

That paint though. I honestly hate black cars. Only reason I got it was because it was substantially cheaper then other colours I was looking at.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I like my chrome piece on the trunk a lot more then the oem option spoiler. If you can't find the chrome piece at the junkyard, you can buy it off of ebay for around $100-200. I think there are a few duck tails that remove the chrome piece entirely and you have to bolt it up to the factory holes.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo_Dp
I like my chrome piece on the trunk a lot more then the oem option spoiler. If you can't find the chrome piece at the junkyard, you can buy it off of ebay for around $100-200. I think there are a few duck tails that remove the chrome piece entirely and you have to bolt it up to the factory holes.
You know what looks really good? The chrome piece painted body color.

I know I've seen that here in the forum before.
The following users liked this post:
Mojo_Dp (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You know what looks really good? The chrome piece painted body color.

I know I've seen that here in the forum before.
Agreed, although I think the chrome piece itself looks pretty good imo.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I honestly hate black cars.

Quick Reply: G37 spoiler options