G37 Sedan

Help with picking the right mods

Old 04-14-2019, 11:37 PM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking Help with picking the right mods

I have decided on certain parts that I want and id like to see the opinion with others before I end up buying something that is junk
I drive a 11' Xs Sedan
Intake: Stillen Gen 2 intake or K&N Black Hawk short ram intake.( I dont want to cut stuff out of my car like I would with Gen 3 and as well I dont want an intake that can suck up water from being too low or exposed)
Exhuast: Invidia Q300 catback ( reason for this exhaust is that its quite and not drony for cruising but when you floor it you can hear the engine decently well)
Coilovers: Bc racing coils
Wheels: Velgen VMB5's
Like I said im just looking for overall opinion from past experiences or knowledge, so let me know if the parts I want are good or junk. Thanks for your time boys
Old 04-15-2019, 12:32 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Since you don't want to mess with long tube intakes that go down into the bumper then I wouldn't bother with the short rams. Get some good drop in filters and Z1 silicone post-maf intake hoses. I'll be ditching my intakes soon for Rabbit Hole Motorsports.
The following users liked this post:
Mojo_Dp (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 AM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

I know the stillen gen 2 intakes stay fairly high up. They sit right on the cut out for the oem intake, giving it cold air while blocking the hot air from the top with the heat shield. Which is alot better than the k&n that sits right in the engine bay.You think it would be a good option?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
SRI will give you an intake howl, and look pretty cool under the hood, but that's it. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting either or both of those things. However, don't be expecting a performance mod.

The Invidia tips are quite nice, but the cans are weird (IMO). Solid catback choice, though. https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...00-review.html

BC coilovers for the AWD Sedan... yep.

The Velgen VMB5 is kind of a basic design, and insofar as cast wheels go, I think they're pricey for what you get. But nothing wrong with them... except for how much you're exposing your non-Sport brakes. Imagine putting 19" or 20" VMB5 wheels on your car and then looking at your brakes. You won't be able to un-look that look.
Mojo_Dp (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

hahaha very true ill have to get some Akebono calipers from the rwd s sedan.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
If you're interested in a cold air intake that doesn't require any cutting you should look into the Takeda CAI: https://afepower.com/afe-power-ta-30...-intake-system
I'd suggest you check out the Stillen catback if you want more power (they claim 19hp) without too much noise (until you hit WOT) they have a sale going on and sometimes you'll find a used set in the classifieds: https://www.stillen.com/performance/...initi-g37.html
Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

Yea i was looking at that too. I might get that instead but it almost costs 2000 CAD shipped from the states, I cant find a Canadian site that sells them
Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts
I've heard mixed results about BC's. I hear they clunk in the rear.

Personally for 95% of people I still stand behind Takeda being the best choice in CAI. Unless you're really hardcore and plan on going full NA. The look is great, the fitment is great, and no rubbing on anything or cutting required.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:31 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Feal is a better choice for coil-overs, I think.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:43 AM
FreightTrain
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Depending on where you're at in Canada, you might be able to talk with some trusted friends/family/forum members and get your exhaust shipped to them, then you drive over and pick it up. Obviously the G doesn't get the best gas mileage so it might not be worth the trip.

I've had the Stillen gen 3 intakes for around 3 years now on my DD, no water/splash shields, and I haven't had any issues. I've drove through the worst of storms, and the car wash I go to sprays the hell out of my grill as well. Granted that's all I'm thinking about when I am driving in the rain, but I will say I haven't had any issues so I doubt that you would either. Also where you cut is barely noticeable with the bumper off, and invisible with it on. Takeda is basically identical, but doesn't require cutting. Just about everyone on here is going to advise the same thing, either go long tubes or save your money. The stock intakes are already short ram and engineered for your motor already. Any aftermarket short ram will likely decrease airflow, but might give you a little extra sound. As JPowers mentioned, the silicon tubes can help with heat soak, and the drop in filters are easy to clean and provide a little less restriction. The biggest decision is based on price and performance. Long tubes will actually yield gains, but will cost a little more. Short rams are cheaper, but your basically sacrificing sound for power and price. Honestly I'd make this your last mod on your list. Gen 3s and Takedas are nice, but after you install some other mods, you might be looking towards a tune. If that's the case, I'd look into the 3in intakes like AdminTuning. You'll need a tune to run them, but if that's on your list later, you might as well do it once correctly.

The Q300 is a solid catback choice. Only thing I have to say about that is are you after performance or sound? If you're just looking for sound, maybe look into just an axle back. I'm just running an HKS axle back and I love it. Actually I prefer just the HKS axle back over the full HKS catbacks for our cars lol. I'm not chasing numbers though.

Can't comment on coilovers or wheels as those are next on my list. Read up on BC for our Gs though. I've seen a lot of hit and miss reviews, and DIYs on fixes for those that weren't happy.

Also maybe look into sway bars and such as well. They're pretty cheap compared to most mods, and they make an immediate difference in handling.

Overall I think your list is pretty solid. You just have to focus on what's important to you. Power, looks, tracking, DD, comfort, etc. It'll get expensive if you just start throwing parts on that you end up replacing/unhappy with a year later. Just choose what's most important to you and stick to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by FreightTrain:
latino914 (04-26-2019), Mojo_Dp (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 PM
-ZS-Carpenter
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Since you don't want to mess with long tube intakes that go down into the bumper then I wouldn't bother with the short rams. Get some good drop in filters and Z1 silicone post-maf intake hoses. I'll be ditching my intakes soon for Rabbit Hole Motorsports.
This is the only option for making power without going to long tubes. You will LOSE power with short rams. It does not matter what brand or what the box says. I had short rams on my Z, the heat soak was real. K&N drop ins and post maf tubes are the way to go if you don't want a true CAI.

As far as sucking water, the gen 3/Z1 style intakes have the filters up plenty high and guarded by the crash bar. Unless your'e trying to forge flood water there is no chance of hydro lock.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:01 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Contact us for pricing on the Invidia exhaust!

-Josh
Old 04-18-2019, 03:21 PM
criticalroller

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only modification I did to my sedan was a hotchkis sport sway bar set. I've never driven the vehicle hard, but the experience was an immediate upgrade for daily driving.
Pato A. Vidal (04-18-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:23 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else but myself on the topic of cai for the g37 but have the tekada cai n did the install the myself. During the install It becomes extremely clear as to why stillen instructs the buyer to cut the area to allow a clear path for the piping. Now while tekada doesn't use pipe, the tubing they provide has to be shoved through the framing n after getting one side in n seeing just how pitched the tubing was I couldn't continue so I pulled out the dremel n went to work. So while I'm pretty sure there's plenty of members running the tekada cai with no issue n without making any modifications I couldn't be one after seeing the pitch m, just something to think about. If I can find the pics of my install I'll post them.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:11 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
ive listened to many intake vids on youtube for the g/z. you dont even hear the intake. anyone else notice that? u mostly hear just the engine or the exhaust. id skip intake and just do a nice exhaust if sound is wat ur after

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with picking the right mods