Sponsored by:

Flexible LED strips

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:41 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by smitty37g
Well. I need new headlights, do to the clear coat coming off and leaving them foggy. Im going to try to clean them after they get worse.
I wish we could get the aftermarket headlights like the coupe.. smh

I did hook them to my lawn mower battery, they are a little brighter then i thought. The amber is sequential, so thats cool. .
I desided to put them under the bumper for now. Lol.
I did not hook up the wires yet. So next sunday, I will do the wiring.
OK brighter is promising, so that's a plus and the bumper does seem like an only place, given the thickness of material, at least from pics...so its a start...
also, have you tried to just polish your headlights? mime were getting some hazing and bought some chemical bros, but any will work really, try mothers rubbing compound for mag and aluminum , seems inexpensive and works too... slap it on and buff, preferably with a machine and it will do wonders for the housing...

relooking at pics and wonder if they will be visible in that location, so yeah looking forward to pics
Old 01-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
what were you thinking on the lights? like an LED or just lens swap...ive contemplated the lens with the sti's i think its the name, but opening housing just seems like a potential issue...here in FL central and rainy summers, leaks can become a nightmare etc but keep us posted on lights as those pics you posted look really nice
I plan on doing both, original plan was custom led strips n figure while I'm in there I'll just swap the lens for the STI, I hear you on the condensation but if you use the proper material to reseal the lights you will never have a issue with water, theretrofit source have done plenty of retrofits out of FL n had no issue n they sell the stuff you need to reseal.

i saw those and thought price was not an option, maybe if my lights go, then feasible; but have you thought about just swapping out the lens? i think there is a common one called sti or something like that and its been done a few times with members posting here on forum....so food for thought....
the price isn't bad in anyway, to be honest any cheaper n I would be concerned, to replace your OEM your looking at $1000 plus so for something around 600 that's actually pretty good I mean what's to complain about they look cool has great light output, of course if I get them I will still retrofit em to my liking, probably add morimoto strip in the lighting bolts which would make them extra bright n swap out the high beams with bi-xeon projectors so I would have the square low beams with my retrofitted low beams in place of the high beams but you dont need to do any of that the lights just look cool, here's a pic of another members car with the lights looks sick to me. I mean come on man they look sick n imagine them with the sport bumper,siiick.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
I plan on doing both, original plan was custom led strips n figure while I'm in there I'll just swap the lens for the STI, I hear you on the condensation but if you use the proper material to reseal the lights you will never have a issue with water, theretrofit source have done plenty of retrofits out of FL n had no issue n they sell the stuff you need to reseal.

the price isn't bad in anyway, to be honest any cheaper n I would be concerned, to replace your OEM your looking at $1000 plus so for something around 600 that's actually pretty good I mean what's to complain about they look cool has great light output, of course if I get them I will still retrofit em to my liking, probably add morimoto strip in the lighting bolts which would make them extra bright n swap out the high beams with bi-xeon projectors so I would have the square low beams with my retrofitted low beams in place of the high beams but you dont need to do any of that the lights just look cool, here's a pic of another members car with the lights looks sick to me. I mean come on man they look sick n imagine them with the sport bumper,siiick.
You seem real hands on with the lights , so wish I had that level of comfort and know how to Do it myself....i read about retrofit and the service they offer.....but like you said , the 600 ain't bad if and when mine go...may be a nice upgrade to car so will keep them in mind ....either way nice work on those altima lights

Old 01-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

You seem real hands on with the lights , so wish I had that level of comfort and know how to Do it myself....i read about retrofit and the service they offer.....but like you said , the 600 ain't bad if and when mine go...may be a nice upgrade to car so will keep them in mind ....either way nice work on those altima lights
thanks a lot, it's funny it took me about a year to build the courage up to actually begin the retrofit but after watching countless hours of video n actually being able to call theretrofit source (which was the biggest help) I started to get down n dirty, I couldn't justify paying someone something like 1300 just to do the work I did but that was the quote to install projectors, led strips n halo rings. I got the kit on a black Friday so everything was around 350. If I can find the pics I would be able to show you the finished product with the halo rings n the switchback feature, sh*t was hot man.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry, did someone say those lights have great output? You heard wrong buddy. Someone lied to you or you were misinformed. They don't output light for **** compared to oem lights with a sti-r clear lens swap.

Originally Posted by qmantran
I would highly advise against those aftermarket sedan headlights.

This is a picture comparison with both cars parked 25 feet from the wall.

Co-workers g37 coupe right after headlights were installed with brand new osram cool blue boost bulbs and aligned.

My car has factory oem headlights with STi-R clear lens swap and 5 year old osram cool blue intense bulbs.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
Sorry, did someone say those lights have great output? You heard wrong buddy. Someone lied to you or you were misinformed. They don't output light for **** compared to oem lights with a sti-r clear lens swap.
your comparing aftermath headlights to oem lights or better put $500 to $1200 n on top of that your also comparing the oem with a clear lens swap which completely replaces the oem lens that's has a built in diffuser n replacing it give you a sharper cutoff line a wider beam pattern n a brighter light output, SO if you where to compare this correctly which would be just the oem lights no modification to the projector lens n the aftermarket headlights lights then you will find that while yes the oem are still better their not THAT far from the aftermarket, as said before if someone had to replace or wanted a different look the aftermarket with its price point n good light output compared the strictly oem lights it's a great deal. Now I can buy a set of aftermarket n retrofitted fit with quad bi-xion projectors with clear lens swap n you could compare that to oem even with clear lens swap n my set would destroy the oem but you see how that would be pointless because their modded so if your going to compare let's try to keep it fare. Also I'll try to find the link but a guy posted a YouTube video showing real time video of a comparison of the aftermarket n oem while n it's not a huge difference, I will post a link once I find it.
a members review
https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...eadlights.html

Last edited by Redgoyabean; 01-15-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Here you have stock oem from a IPL n the aftermarket GTR lights, as you can see not much of a difference n what looks like light coming off the top of the beam pattern is something manufactures are using, its dim enough not to blind others but just bright enough to reflect off of road signs being that road signs sit higher than you beam pattern, last 2 pics are high beams. In the link I posted before if you scroll down someone posted a video of some night driving n the aftermarket seem to be doing really will on the road, check em out.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

hey found only 2 pics best I could do, so these have been retrofitted with projectors led strips n halo rings.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you take a shot with these lit up....I may want to do this!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

hey found only 2 pics best I could do, so these have been retrofitted with projectors led strips n halo rings.

hey man while not a big fan of the halos, that looks awesome....where do you live again? Lol....but seriously nice work there...makes me reconsider the whole headlight thing....oh well, baby steps , so will start off with these strips and see how they work and go from there....
Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

hey man while not a big fan of the halos, that looks awesome....where do you live again? Lol....but seriously nice work there...makes me reconsider the whole headlight thing....oh well, baby steps , so will start off with these strips and see how they work and go from there....
thanks bro it was definitely a learning process n I live in NY by the way, if you ever have any questions or just need help I'll be glad to assist.
The following users liked this post:
G37sPhoton (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

thanks bro it was definitely a learning process n I live in NY by the way, if you ever have any questions or just need help I'll be glad to assist.
Thanks man, I will at some point take you up on that ,as the more I look at the pics, the halos aren't looking like I remember them in other pics...sooo.....i can see the sti-r lens creeping back into my mod itch....ftw!....
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Thanks man, I will at some point take you up on that ,as the more I look at the pics, the halos aren't looking like I remember them in other pics...sooo.....i can see the sti-r lens creeping back into my mod itch....ftw!....
bro it's either the gtr headlights or what I really want to do is buy a set off craigslist or something like offer up this way I can take my time n do some crazy quad projector set up, haven't seen any one with that n still retain my original set for back up or just in case I need to fix something. It's an amazing DIY project n in the process you will learn so much it's crazy. So just remember we all started some where n you'll be good. Good luck broski.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:55 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smitty37g
So I got the lights in today. Not sure where I am going to put them, since they are thicker then I expected. They also dont have that box on them like in the videos?? But it does have 3 wires to connect.
There are no instructions.

Anyway, when i figure out where they are going, I will get them on and take pictures.

Here are a couple of pics fresh out the package.
Hey man, well got mine in today and that's ... about what they look like lol...guess for $25... not sure if and where i will put these as they appear somewhat unsightly lol and going to want to hide these bad boys or minimize them...well , i'll tinker around with them this weekend if i get a chance and see what locations will work, also need some extra wire...
Old 01-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Hey man, well got mine in today and that's ... about what they look like lol...guess for $25... not sure if and where i will put these as they appear somewhat unsightly lol and going to want to hide these bad boys or minimize them...well , i'll tinker around with them this weekend if i get a chance and see what locations will work, also need some extra wire...
can you post pics n test the brightness in direct sunlight if possible

Quick Reply: Flexible LED strips