G37 Sedan

Of all the modifications you have made to your sedan, which is your favorite?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Atowsley
To me it looks like it actually rakes down toward the front. I like the look. Calipers were a tad dirty.

The calipers look cool close up, but they seem to be pretty well hidden in those wheels- maybe it is just the lighting? So you actually went to the trouble to source Akebono brakes for your AWD G? You do look to have less wheel gap up front than in the back. That seems strange for Swift springs. Maybe that has something to do with the AWD suspension?
The following users liked this post:
Atowsley (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:53 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
My friend, those look really nice against the car color. IMO, well done.
The following users liked this post:
Atowsley (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Thaks Guys. Yeah, the Camera doesn't seem to do them justice in that pic. I think they pop more in person and was looking for a subtle appearance. They are the OEM Infiniti sports brakes with just the powder coat and Akebono rotors. I got the set (refurbished) for $700 plus the powder coat cost. I just couldn't roll with the non-sports brakes with those wheels. They just looked ridiculously small.

Yeah, it rakes down.. kind or more aggressive looking and I like it. The struts are different on the AWD vs the RWD I believe, so that maybe it.

Last edited by Atowsley; 07-12-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thaks Guys. Yeah, the Camera doesn't seem to do them justice in that pic. I think they pop more in person and was looking for a subtle appearance. They are the OEM Infiniti sports brakes with just the powder coat and Akebono rotors. I got the set (refurbished) for $700 plus the powder coat cost. I just couldn't roll with the non-sports brakes with those wheels. They just looked ridiculously small.

Yeah, it rakes down.. kind or more aggressive looking and I like it. The struts are different on the AWD vs the RWD I believe, so that maybe it.
That makes perfect sense on the brakes. I think a nice BBK always looks good, but for me it comes down to the biggest rotors and calipers I can get for track days to deal with the heat.

I agree that the raked forward look is much better than the "droopy butt" look that everyone seems to complain about with their RWD sedans on swift springs. Finally something the AWD guys can brag about- "our cars actually look good on swift springs." Well, something to brag about other than the fact that your cars have AWD for the winter. That would be nice.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Although I don't need the AWD in Texas really. It's just been awesome in the rain so far, kind of makes me overconfident.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Although I don't need the AWD in Texas really. It's just been awesome in the rain so far, kind of makes me overconfident.
And if it is still a true ATESSA-ETS AWD system it will be RWD based initially like the GT-R. I remember that system being a lot of fun in the AWD G35.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:24 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
And if it is still a true ATESSA-ETS AWD system it will be RWD based initially like the GT-R. I remember that system being a lot of fun in the AWD G35.
Minus the vlsd, but that can be done.

Also, Atowsley, that looks fantastic. Great fitment on the wheels and good tire width choice. Fills it in nicely. My only concern, please get the little rubber washer that goes on the bleeders. You don't want dirt getting in there, getting wet and rusting.
Any plans blacking out the chrome? Would look pretty cool. Oh, and I also gave you CF mirror caps while I was at it lol.

Last edited by hexotic; 07-12-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Yep, RWD and FWD only when needed. I changed the diff fluids front and back and the front fluid was still clear for the most part. Clearly the rear diff was getting most of the workload.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Originally Posted by hexotic

Also, Atowsley, that looks fantastic. Great fitment on the wheels and good tire width choice. Fills it in nicely. My only concern, please get the little rubber washer that goes on the bleeders. You don't want dirt getting in there, getting wet and rusting.
Any plans blacking out the chrome? Would look pretty cool. Oh, and I also gave you CF mirror caps while I was at it lol.
Oh, that's a good idea, never thought about it. I don't drive the car that much (just broke 40k) and if it rains I stay home if I can help it. Man, it's funny you mention that as I have the vinyl laying right next to my computer for just that. Great minds think alike. Also, I want to get the roof wrapped too. Unfortunately I stupidly broke one of the clips on the CF covers... Kicking myself. I still have them tho and they were really nice. I put the OEM back on and vinyl wrapped them in gloss black to match the spoiler. Not sure why, but the picture does make them look like CF, but they are just wrapped. I put Z1 spacers on the wheel/tire combo to fill it out and careful with that. Wish I had bought wider wheels to start but highsight is 20/02 and I'm a noob to car modding as never had any money to do it before.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:39 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

3rd Favorite mod is the Akkon Headlights. Build quality was good and love the modern look and being blacked out. 3rd as light throw is a tad weird and not quite as bright as OEM. A q50 driver pulled up and was checking them out recently. Hexoric can you spot in my engine bay an idea I stole from you?

Old 07-13-2019, 01:04 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Not sure why, but the picture does make them look like CF, but they are just wrapped.
I made them CF in the picture lol
Old 07-13-2019, 02:35 AM
Atowsley
Premier Member

I made them CF in the picture lol
Ok, I'm dumb. lol I bought some CF mirror covers from somebody and couldn't remember who. I thought it was maybe from you.

Last edited by Atowsley; 07-13-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Did the AWD G35 have a VLSD or are you talking about the GT-R?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:53 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

I mean the atessa in the G has open diffs, GTR doesn't. The rest of the system is more or less the same in terms of how it works.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I mean the atessa in the G has open diffs, GTR doesn't. The rest of the system is more or less the same in terms of how it works.
Did the G35 have open diffs too? Is the G37 AWD true ATESSA-ETS? I was shocked to see that term used in the G35 owner's manual. That is the same system they used in the R34 Skyline. The G35 AWD was really fun to drive as a result and actually sounded decent too. It was a bit of a sleeper and part of the reason the G37 was on my radar before I researched it to death and actually bought one.

Quick Reply: Of all the modifications you have made to your sedan, which is your favorite?