MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Of all the modifications you have made to your sedan, which is your favorite? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/290941-of-all-the-modifications-you-have-made-to-your-sedan-which-is-your-favorite.html)

4DRZ 11-29-2018 02:34 PM

Of all the modifications you have made to your sedan, which is your favorite?

Recently I had a another friend of mine inquire about buying my G37S sedan from me. He asked me to give him the list of all the mods. This is usually a bad idea for me as I will add up the cost of all of the parts and try to keep my eyes from popping out of my head from the huge total.:eek: However, this also got me thinking about how far this car has come and which mods were worth while and which ones were not. I was trying to figure out my favorite mod and I am having trouble narrowing it down. In fact, they are probably not what you would initially think if you have seen my build thread.

I think I have it narrowed down to the Sparco seat, DC headers, B&M shifter, Raceseng Sphereology shift knob, and RJM clutch pedal assembly- maybe even in that order.

I like how the Sparco seat looks and I love the way it fits me. It just hugs me, holds me in place well when cornering on track, and yet is very comfortable. It is probably the most comfortable seat I have sat in any car, and I have sat in way too many cars. It is also great on my lower back which gave me major problems in my Evo and E46 M3 seats. I'm not saying this seat will be the right fit for everyone, but it fits me like a tailored suit. Maybe another reason I like this seat so much is that it was such a pain to install with the wiring. It is a relief that everything has been working well for so long. (knocks on wood for luck)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...725a4e1c97.jpg

The DC headers are works of art and they do add power, but the thing I like best is the sound. Driving at Road America and hearing the exhaust bounce off of the trees going up the hill out of Canada corner is pure bliss. I can think of very few cars that sound this good. I thought I was biased, but I have had a lot of people come up to me and comment on the sound. One guy in a much faster car even told me he stayed behind me longer than he was planning just to listen to my exhaust. (I seriously thought he broke something as his car was way faster than mine and his car sounded pretty awesome too.)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...a335f7c7f1.jpg

The B&M shifter was immediately a huge improvement in shift feel and has been rock solid and consistent since day one. It feels like a part that was extremely over engineered at some craftsman's shop, like Aston Martin. It has made no weird noises or been inconsistent at all. I have done a lot of shift kits on other cars and they have all been some sort of awful compromise. Not the B&M. They know what they are doing.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...6efb4a852a.jpg

The weighted Raceseng Sphereology shift knob is another one of those parts that look like it was hugely over engineered. I never thought a weighted shift knob would smooth out the shifting as much as a full shifter, but it was dramatic. It is also very difficult to find a shift knob that can handle our extreme temperatures without burning your hand in the summer or causing frost bite in the winter. With the delrin surround it was never an issue. The more difficult part is making the shift knob look classy, let alone look like it should be in our cars. It looks really good and something I would expect to see in a much more expensive car.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...19ca5e121d.jpg

Finally, the RJM clutch pedal assembly is a huge improvement in shifting, but it is taken for granted as this is how I feel the car should shift from the factory. The clutch does not feel like it engages any better than any other car, but it is still a great part compared to how it used to shift.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...680b1fd21a.jpg

Now let's hear your favorite

Rochester 11-29-2018 05:27 PM

Nothing wrong with another favorite mod thread. These are fun. :8:

1 - 4.083 final drive rear gear & pinion

Where I live and how I use my car, this has changed everything, supporting a fatter more usable power range in the lower gears. If your situation means you're on the highway a lot, or stuck in heavy traffic on a regular basis, then hell no don't swap gears. But that doesn't apply to me, knock on wood, so all the benefits of the new gearing are fully realized, all the time. I love it.

If I were to keep going...

2 - Short Throw Shifter. It's just so-o-o-o much better than OEM, and something you appreciate constantly, every single time you drive the car.

3 - Swaybars. Simple bolt-on that says buh-bye forever to understeer when pushing into turns.

Ihtbealexxx 11-29-2018 05:41 PM

1 - Stillen Supercharger . Added a lot of fun to the car while still running quite reliably

2- Airlift 3H - Driving around in New York City became a lot easier with this add-on. I see a bump, I air up. Simple

3- NRW Carbon fiber steering wheel - Beautifully crafted piece and one of my favorites because it's something you will always be in your field of view when driving

4DRZ 11-29-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ihtbealexxx (Post 4222965)
1 - Stillen Supercharger . Added a lot of fun to the car while still running quite reliably

2- Airlift 3H - Driving around in New York City became a lot easier with this add-on. I see a bump, I air up. Simple

3- NRW Carbon fiber steering wheel - Beautifully crafted piece and one of my favorites because it's something you will always be in your field of view when driving

Nice mods! Tell me more about the supercharger and the carbon fiber steering wheel. Did you install the supercharger yourself, easy to do, work with other mods, and do you have any before and after dyno sheets? Any pics of the steering wheel or difficulties with the install due to the airbag or buttons on the wheel?

conkus805 11-30-2018 01:35 AM

I have to agree with Rochester here and say my upgrade to 3.9 gears and vlsd on my 7at was the best mod for me. if I could go back and do it again, the gears would have been first.

Rochester 11-30-2018 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by conkus805 (Post 4222997)
I have to agree with Rochester here and say my upgrade to 3.9 gears and vlsd on my 7at was the best mod for me. if I could go back and do it again, the gears would have been first.

Yep, it would have been first. However, it's a scary mod to pursue with nothing to back up your decision except forum comments and a leap of faith.

There's the expense, too, which can easily be north of $1500 in parts and labor. And then the labor... it's not a simple thing. You need a mechanic that can do it with confidence.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/drivetr...6mt-sedan.html

Baadnewsburr 11-30-2018 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 4223006)
it's a scary mod to pursue with nothing to back up your decision except forum comments and a leap of faith.

this is exactly how I felt about doing my pumpkin swap...so much work and so many things that could go wrong and I didn't really know if I'd actually notice a difference....I didn't go for bigger gears cause I already had the 3.69s (being the biggest we can go on AWD) just the LSD

its been a few years since i did it and I still love it...the delay/sluggishness of the electronic diff (brake based) was the one thing I actually used to hate about my G and made it not really feel like a sports car, it was so unnatural....the mechanical LSD is so much nicer.

Rochester 11-30-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hashim (Post 4223010)
I didn't go for bigger gears cause I already had the 3.69s (being the biggest we can go on AWD) just the LSD

:dunno: Huh? I must be missing a chunk of gear ratio info. AFAIK for the G37:

The 3.357 gears were in the AWD and RWD 7AT, Coupe, Sedan & Vert.
The 3.692 gears were in the 6MT Coupe & Sedan, and the 2008 5AT Coupe.
The 3.916 gears were in the Vert 6MT, but without LSD.

Baadnewsburr 11-30-2018 09:53 AM

mines the 2nd gen G35 (2007) 3.69 gears (front and rear) with 5AT

thats right, I've infiltrated the G37 ranks

4DRZ 11-30-2018 11:02 AM

If anyone is thinking of doing rear gears, Z1 sells them pre-assembled with their larger capacity diff cover, better bushings, and better fluid. You can even upgrade the LSD if you want (not really necessary). It might be less expensive than paying all the labor if you are handy w/ a wrench and not afraid to remove your diff and bolt up a new one.

I like the additional acceleration felt through the rear gears and the feeling of more power in each gear, but there are a few trade offs. You definitely shift more and always seem to be in a higher gear around town to make it feel like normal. Your mileage does go down a bit on the highway because the revs are up. You will probably wear out your rear tires earlier as it is much easier to break them loose. (This might become a problem for me as it relates to winter traction) There is definitely some more NVH when decelerating as it feels like the gears bind a bit with the transmission speed at times. Nothing major, just not OEM smooth. This is probably why Nissan never intended this mix of gearing, transmission, and engine.

guy from norcal 11-30-2018 01:11 PM

Mine is lowering springs and exhaust.
If i had a 6mt I'm sure it would be RJM pedal assembly.

MerakiAutoworks 11-30-2018 01:59 PM

Wow very nice guys!

-Josh

SupraOfDoom 11-30-2018 02:18 PM

1. Ark Exhaust. I just love hearing this car rip at high RPM's. Now I want GTHaus because I want full time loud lol.
  2. Cold Air Intakes WITH the see through grill. Having CAI is cool, but showing them off is even cooler.
  3. Nismo shift knob. I bought my 6MT already with a ton of tasteful interior mods but I felt it fit quite well with the rest of them especially since the one on it was boring.

RMB5190 11-30-2018 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hashim (Post 4223015)
mines the 2nd gen G35 (2007) 3.69 gears (front and rear) with 5AT

thats right, I've infiltrated the G37 ranks

so a G36?

Baadnewsburr 11-30-2018 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by RMB5190 (Post 4223067)
so a G36?

lol basically, 2nd gen body with the VQ35HR engine (according to wikipedia the 2nd gen G35 and all the G37 and G25 are all part of the "V36" generation)