G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZSpeed or TBW Aluminum under tray on your sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 10:12 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I ordered a new ZSpeed under tray last night. It's not perfect with its rear bolt mounts, but at least it will give me enough clearance and it won't be nearly as beat up as my old one.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (09-29-2019)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Silver, black, bolt kit? Take a bunch of pics when it comes in, and when you install it. Just because. Closure for the thread and all that.

I'm glad you brought up the comparison, because I didn't know the clearance problems with the TBW was specific to the Zerk fitings on the Hotchkis brackets.

And you misspeeeled "Hotchkis" in your sig line. And your fly might be open, but I'm not saying.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:54 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
And you misspeeeled "Hotchkis" in your sig line. And your fly might be open, but I'm not saying.
Finally someone caught it. I had no idea it would take you so long.

I went with silver and they all come with hardware. The ZSpeed gives more clearance for larger sway bars in general. If you want to see it installed, just go to page 1 of my build thread since no one seems to give that thread any love anymore. It seems like the more I do to the car and post up, the less people care. Weird.
ZSpeedPerformance (04-21-2020)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If you want to see it installed, just go to page 1 of my build thread since no one seems to give that thread any love anymore. It seems like the more I do to the car and post up, the less people care. Weird.
That's because you dump big jobs without much intro. Just BAM! and one pic of your new radiator project, LOL. 4DRZ, your build thread is great. Lots of pics, lots of excellent mods, and a good read. Cut yourself some slack.

You could point out that it's silly to discuss a $2 piece of plastic in the engine bay over a three month period... And you wouldn't be wrong, but it wouldn't be fun, either. Knowhatimean?

Anyway, here's your pic from way back.

I also have a MW Sedan, but I'm leaning towards black. Why did you go silver?

Originally Posted by 4DRZ

Last edited by Rochester; 06-02-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I thought the point of a build thread was to track your progress and then answer questions about the products once you have them on the car. I'll try to share my thoughts more about projects before I do them going forward so I can get some more input. Then again I usually give so much thought to a project and over-analyze every angle to the last degree that there is not much left to discuss by the time I am done. Whoops!

I went with silver because when you scrape (and you will) the scrapes blend in with the silver a lot better than the black. If I got black it would probably look trashed in 6 months.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:28 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Just the ease of changing the oil is worth it.
kperrett (05-15-2021)
Old 06-02-2018, 01:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Just the ease of changing the oil is worth it.
Absolutely. Taking off 2 bolts instead of 15 is a nice change of pace.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:51 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Noob question:
My car has a molded seam in the plastic under tray. I can remove the 4 rear-most bolts and fold it down to access the drain and filter. Is this not standard?
I was contemplating the aluminum undertray just for the fact that the access door would hang straight down. I have to hold the plastic down now because the 'memory' in it wants to bend back up and get covered in the draining oil.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That access panel actually comes off entirely so you have a lot of room to change the oil and filter.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
No issues with the z speed on my x sedan. Atlanta streets put it to the test. To sum it up. Going with tbw next time for better venting and 2 piece design.

(Detailed)
Do I like it enough to get another z speed? No I would prob just try out the tbw to see. I often end up taking off the bumper and z speed tray anyways during oil changes to get out all the oil I can from oil cooler and lines. Also getting car in air is easier with bumper off for me. Can take it off in 3 mins or less lol. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to just to let it be and let that extra qt or so mix in but why not get that extra quart of oil out. I mean you are doing a oil change because it’s time, so change all the oil.

With that said the 2 piece design appeals to me. No evidence that I need to clear out all the oil but it helps me sleep at night hahha. Nothing negative to say about the z speed. Definitely have hit stuff so hard I’ve had to peal this off the bottom of car. Broken many of bolts and even stripped the head of the very back 2 bolts on each side numerous times. Like the aluminum bends to wedge together. Also big fan of the tbw more venting area. Gets hot down here in the south on the road. That along with 2 piece design would get my money next go round.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:18 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
While the vents are nice, the undertray is supposed to be an aero device. Those vents reduce downforce.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 AM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
While the vents are nice, the undertray is supposed to be an aero device. Those vents reduce downforce.
Would this reduction in downforce really matter in Daily Driving? I know it may matter to those that track (and maybe for those looking for max fuel economy), but TBW even with vents is better than the other many vehicles that have no engine guard underneath.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:14 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I agree that it's a quibble. Just sayin'...
Old 06-07-2018, 03:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
[left]No issues with the z speed on my x sedan. Atlanta streets put it to the test. To sum it up. Going with tbw next time for better venting and 2 piece design.
As long as you have enough clearance for your sway bar, you should be ok. My ZSpeed barely clears the zerk fittings on my Hotchkis sway bar so the TBW would not work for me.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I've a few hundred dollars as PayPal credit, and last night I was *this* close to ordering a new TBW under-tray, when something else came up and laid claim to that money.

So close, LOL

Quick Reply: ZSpeed or TBW Aluminum under tray on your sedan?