G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Need advice] Moving from Miami to Boston with my RWD sedan.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:46 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
[Need advice] Moving from Miami to Boston with my RWD sedan.

Hello guys,

It's been a long time since I asked for help here. I normally find everything I need without posting. I need a bit of personalized advice this time.
I live in south Florida and drive 2012 G37 sedan Rwd. I plan to move to Boston area very soon and I fear if my RWD car will become useless / safety hazard in snowy conditions.
I read that with a combination of great snow tires and sensible driving, RWD cars are safe. I want to get advice from people who live in colder areas and drive RWD, whats your strategy?
What type of winter tires is being used with RWD g37?
I am not slammed but am lowered by almost 2 inches on coilovers, I don't think my tein Coilover provide great height adjustment, should I go back to stock if increasing height is really important?

I love my car, to me it's complete. Kbb is giving me $10300 which is unacceptable, I would rather keep my car. its only 63k miles and I have babied my car like everyone here does.

inputs/ advice will help a lot.

thanks!!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:28 PM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
You can probably get by with snow tires if there's less than an inch of snow. Since you're lowered I wouldn't drive it in any snow storms.

Get a beater or maybe lease an economy car. You can find some cheap deals out there.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Snow Driving is just another driving skill...you'll learn to drive in it over time and gradually be more comfortable in increasingly adverse conditions...

The key, as you have already noted is driving sensibly.

Snow tires are more than adequate on the RWD G in the snow once you have gained more experience with it.

You may have to raise your coils a bit, maybe not for the snow, but probably because of all the potholes ...
Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Member "Rochester" drives a lowered, RWD G37 in one of the snowiest parts of NY State.

I'd be more worried about the potholes than the snow. The roads in Boston are in bad shape. I often wish I had bought a used 4Runner instead of my G.

Where are you moving to? Are you going to be parking on the street?
Old 04-11-2018, 06:04 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Rochester doesn't drive his G in the winter.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Rochester doesn't drive his G in the winter.
He does. He has snow tires mounted on his "duck feet" wheels.

I'm not sure how frequently he drives in deep snow. I'll let him answer.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Driving in the snow with an RWD is most certainly doable. I'm in Chicago, lowered on Teins (1.5 in.), and RWD. The car is daily driven and parked outside. I drive in 3 in. of unplowed snow just fine.

If you can raise the car slightly it will make a world of difference.

Get good snow tires, the narrowest that will fit your wheels is best. I run Bridgestone Blizzaks on my G and my buddy runs Michelin X-Ice on his 350Z.

Drive conservatively at first so you can learn how your car behaves and adapt accordingly. Going at a speed you can control the car is key. Hint, it's very slow.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:01 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by EcstaticG37XS
You can probably get by with snow tires if there's less than an inch of snow. Since you're lowered I wouldn't drive it in any snow storms.

Get a beater or maybe lease an economy car. You can find some cheap deals out there.
I got a perfectly fine 200k miles driven 2006 honda civic sedan. I am thinking about getting rid of it since I will be moving. Not sure if civic is a good choice lol.
whats your take?

Originally Posted by Hashim
Snow Driving is just another driving skill...you'll learn to drive in it over time and gradually be more comfortable in increasingly adverse conditions...

The key, as you have already noted is driving sensibly.

Snow tires are more than adequate on the RWD G in the snow once you have gained more experience with it.

You may have to raise your coils a bit, maybe not for the snow, but probably because of all the potholes ...
I got Q50s premium wheels, square setup. these are forged wheels, I am hoping they can take some beating.

my car setup as I keep it here in Florida. I don't like too much drama lol, slight drop and stock bore wheels lol

Originally Posted by Selym
Member "Rochester" drives a lowered, RWD G37 in one of the snowiest parts of NY State.

I'd be more worried about the potholes than the snow. The roads in Boston are in bad shape. I often wish I had bought a used 4Runner instead of my G.

Where are you moving to? Are you going to be parking on the street?

My new job would be in Andover, MA which is about 40 mins north of Boston city. I am trying to find something around 30 mins radius of Andover so I dont know what I would have.

Most places I see offer open parking lots, which I prefer more than on-street parking.

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
Driving in the snow with an RWD is most certainly doable. I'm in Chicago, lowered on Teins (1.5 in.), and RWD. The car is daily driven and parked outside. I drive in 3 in. of unplowed snow just fine.

If you can raise the car slightly it will make a world of difference.

Get good snow tires, the narrowest that will fit your wheels is best. I run Bridgestone Blizzaks on my G and my buddy runs Michelin X-Ice on his 350Z.

Drive conservatively at first so you can learn how your car behaves and adapt accordingly. Going at a speed you can control the car is key. Hint, it's very slow.
Currently, I have 255/40/19 Firestone Firehawk Indy500, Square setup. Wheels are 19x9 I think lol, I forgot. People don't run stretched tires in snow don't they? I wont run stretched tires, not my style. I believe 235 should be the slimmest I can do. suggestions?

Last edited by main_shoby; 04-11-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Stop talking about me, for crying out loud.

Yes, I drive it in the winter, lowered and modified, with snow tires. And yes, I drive it less and less over the last few years because of working at home, and a third car we have this year.

OP, all you need are snows and winter driving skills. Like mentioned here, your biggest problem will be the truly horrible Boston area roads, winter or otherwise. If you have limited slip rear end, that will help some.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I don’t have any experience with RWD in the snow but have heard with snow tires you’ll be ok unless you go out in a really bad storm. I put eibach springs on my car last year and was a bit worried about driving in the winter but never had any issues, aside from some potholes like others have mentioned. If you have any questions on the area PM me. I’m only a few towns away from Andover.
The following users liked this post:
main_shoby (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 PM
NH G37xS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As others have mentioned, nothing more important than snow tires. I am a big proponent of having a second set of rims with snow tires mounted for quick easy change-overs in late fall and early spring. Ideally snow tires will be as narrow as possible (probably 225 wide) and with the thickest sidewall for better grip, and protection against bent/cracked rims from potholes. (I bent one of my duckfeet 18 inch wheels on a pothole on the Mass Pike in Boston a few years back, would have been much worse if they were 19s). I run 225/55/17 snow tires and they perform great.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NH G37xS
I bent one of my duckfeet 18 inch wheels on a pothole on the Mass Pike in Boston a few years back, would have been much worse if they were 19s.
Me too. Might have been the same hole.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:36 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Another question but a bit off topic:

Front wheel drive civic can be a good beater?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:06 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ sure, why not? reliable, cheap to run, boring, cheap to buy, makes for a solid winter beater.

lots of options, but a civic is a decent choice. i had a civic during university and the thing never cost me anything above oil changes and gas. and a cold air intake, of course. easy to work on when needed.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The only downside to the Civic is if you fill it with people front and back. At that point it becomes a lead balloon on the road. But if it's just you, it's usually a fun little car (depending on the Gen). Moreso if it's a MT.

Quick Reply: [Need advice] Moving from Miami to Boston with my RWD sedan.