What are inexpensive 18"x 8 wheels that will fit over G37S Akebono brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 03:04 PM
Luky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are inexpensive 18"x 8 wheels that will fit over G37S Akebono brakes

I do not like the staggered set up on my car as I wear out the rears too fast. I want to go to a square set up with 18x8 or 18x9 wheels and 245/45-18 tires all around. I did a bunch of research and finally decided on the Motegi MR131 traklite wheels as the 18x9 +35 were supposed to fit and they are only 19lbs (for ~$150 a wheel). Unfortunately they are back ordered for at least two months.

Rather than taking the risk that I mail order wheels and they don't fit, I decided to work with my local Discount Tire as they will negotiate prices and have taken care of me for the last 15 years... The Manager suggested some Konig wheels and I looked at the Backbone in 18x8 +35 in grey and found they were back ordered for at least a month...

Next I went to the Konig Oversteer in "opal" (gray) and he ordered the 18x8 +35 wheels which all of the on-line guides, the distributor and even Konig (I called and checked) say will fit. The wheels came in yesterday and I went over to DT to test fit them and the Konig Oversteer 18x8 +35 wheels DO NOT FIT OVER THE G37S FRONT BRAKES. The spokes hit the caliper AND the caliper hits the barrel so they won't even work with spacers.

I have already paid using my DT credit card as my rear tires were shot and I had a screw in one with a slow leak that I had to top off with 10-15psi of air in every morning. I had them put a pair of the new Hankook tires on my existing rear wheels so I now have some time to pick/order different wheels.

I need suggestions for 18x8 or 18x9 wheels with the correct back spacing that will definitely fit over the Akebono big brakes. I am looking for wheels that are available, under $180/wheel, gray/gun metal in color (white car), and under 22-23lbs per wheel.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Pretty sure the Enkie RPF1 18x8" will fit over the BBK. I know there have been a couple people on the forum who put RPF1 wheels over the Akebono brakes... but I don't recall the width.

Anyway, they run $200/ea give or take some, and only weigh about 18 pounds, which is pretty freaking amazing, IMO. They may not be the most stylish rim, but your price & weight requirements are pretty unrealistic, Luky.

If you want good looking rims, you pay. And if you want high quality, lightweight wheels, then you pay. Somehow you got it into your head to get both, LOL. Good luck with that.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-22-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I tried to help regarding tirerack and entering your Sport model to list wheels that WILL clear your brakes. That's the best way to get wheels that are correct for your big brakes.
Hopefully you're able to get a refund without much hassle.
G/L
The following users liked this post:
Luky (03-23-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:44 PM
Luky

Originally Posted by Rochester
Pretty sure the Enkie RPF1 18x8" will fit over the BBK. I know there have been a couple people on the forum who put RPF1 wheels over the Akebono brakes... but I don't recall the width.

Anyway, they run $200/ea give or take some, and only weigh about 18 pounds, which is pretty freaking amazing, IMO. They may not be the most stylish rim, but your price & weight requirements are pretty unrealistic, Luky.

If you want good looking rims, you pay. And if you want high quality, lightweight wheels, then you pay. Somehow you got it into your head to get both, LOL. Good luck with that.
Hello Rochester, actually I hear you, but... The Motegi traklite are flow formed barrels and weigh about 19lbs for an 18x8. They can be had for ~$125 each if you shop for them and DT was going to price match that for me (until we found out about the 60 day back order). The Konig oversteer 18x8 are 21lbs, again same $125 price from DT. The Konig Ultraform are flow formed and 18x8 +45 ($187 DT website) is listed at 17.9lbs and 18x8.5 +35 ($190 DT website) at 19.3 lbs (not crazy about this style though).

So I know there are choices out there and I am just looking for some suggestions from people with more experience with this chassis. I want to know real world experience and what WILL fit over the big brakes as the online fitment guides are questionable. I really like the Enkei Raijin, and I believe they should work, but they are about $230 each so a little more than I am willing to spend. It's not like I can't afford it, I just don't want to. Expensive wheels don't really add to the resale value of a car unless you get an enthusiast that is willing to pay extra for them... I am only planning to drive this car for another year or so before I get another 535i so other than the hotchkis sways I installed, and the drivetrain maintenance I have done, wheels will probably be it for this car. So please, keep any suggestions on 18's that will definitely fit coming.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:00 AM
Luky

Originally Posted by blnewt
I tried to help regarding tirerack and entering your Sport model to list wheels that WILL clear your brakes. That's the best way to get wheels that are correct for your big brakes.
Hopefully you're able to get a refund without much hassle.
G/L
Yes, and I do appreciate your help. I have been all over the tire rack and discount tire websites looking at what they say will fit.

A question about the fitment guides:

Tire Rack lists a "Journey Sedan with Brembo brakes". Is this the same as the "S" Sedan with sport brakes? (They list it as coming with 19's so I think it was a different package).

I also see "Journey Sedan with sport package". Did this have big Akebono calipers?

Did all G37S sedans come with the big Akebono brakes? Or was this an option on the "S" sport model? (I assumed it was on all sedan "S" models were the same for wheel fitment).

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:30 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Luky
Yes, and I do appreciate your help. I have been all over the tire rack and discount tire websites looking at what they say will fit.

A question about the fitment guides:

Tire Rack lists a "Journey Sedan with Brembo brakes". Is this the same as the "S" Sedan with sport brakes? (They list it as coming with 19's so I think it was a different package).

I also see "Journey Sedan with sport package". Did this have big Akebono calipers?

Did all G37S sedans come with the big Akebono brakes? Or was this an option on the "S" sport model? (I assumed it was on all sedan "S" models were the same for wheel fitment).

Thanks.
If you enter your year and G37 Sedan as model, select "sport" and then check the 18" box, this will list all 18" wheels that will clear your big sport brakes. that's it!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:59 AM
Luky

Yep got that. Thank you. I looked at them all. Just not very excited at what they list as fitting (other than Enkei Raijin or OZ ULTRALEGGERA which are $$$ and bend easily). Tire rack lists different brands than DT, which makes it more difficult to cross reference to something at DT. I don't want to take the risk of paying $100 to ship them to me and then have to pay another $100 to ship them back if there is an issue. Working with local DT that will negotiate the cost is less risk.

It seems like wheel fitments and back spacing that people have used would be a good sticky (not just pics of the wheels on the car). I have read many posts from people having similar questions to mine over the years (receiving few answers) while I have been researching this.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You've set a high bar, but in your defense you're also doing your homework. My only other advice is to reconsider waiting 60 days to get what you want. Sixty days is a nothing blip on the clock.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Finding wheels that check all those boxes is tough, and compounding it w/ clearing the big calipers that much harder. One thing I've found about tirerack, they are very conservative when it comes to fitment, and have very little doubt that if they list a wheel as fitting the Sport G versions they WILL fit.

It's a shame those Konigs didn't work, and even worse that the company said they would fit, at least w/ that kind of confirmation you should have little trouble getting reimbursed for your charges.

Might check Grubbs Infiniti, they have these for a nice price~
https://www.nissaninfinitiparts.com/...ear-d0300jk126
I believe those that have ordered these said they are made by RAYS, so a nice plus!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:33 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I waited 6 months for my monoblocks to be made. 60 days is a joke. I'd wait if you are set on the price.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:48 PM
jrbhorn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran 18" Sport Edition A7 wheels as my winter setup and they cleared the calipers on the G37S just fine. Not much room to spare but 9 winters on them without issue. They aren't the prettiest wheels, but for about $125/each shipped from Tire Rack they did the job just fine and saved a ton of money compared to buying 19" snow tires.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Luky

So DT has gone back and forth with Konig and has been assured the Rennform flow formed wheels 18x8 +35 will fit over the Akebono calipers. So they are ordering me a set of four in gunmetal for my square setup. They did a price match for me at $178 per wheel (including tax). They show as 18.8lbs on the Konig website. Really hope they fit.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

So you're reducing the width of your drive wheels, while dropping 10 pounds each. I'm thinking you really like burnouts.

And you're going from a rear offset of +50 to +35. If you're not dropped now, odds are you're going to want to be real soon.

Hope this all works out for you.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Konig Rennforms are great looking wheels, look similar to the high priced Enkei sets. Keep us posted, and if Konig assured the fit at least you should have no trouble getting any refund if they don't
Old 03-28-2018, 08:32 PM
Luky

Same size drive wheels 245/45-18, with wider fronts. I can add 15mm spacer to the rears if I need to. 90% of the burn out issues went away when I installed the Hotchkis sways (highly reccomended). It just hooks up and goes... I may need to tweak the front sway with the wider front tires to keep it neutral. I'll just have to wait and see.

And I'll be able to rotate my tires to get more than 10k-12k out of the rears...

Quick Reply: What are inexpensive 18"x 8 wheels that will fit over G37S Akebono brakes