G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
I find it interesting that many of you are not biased to RWD cars after owning the G. I've driven mainly Euros for about 18 years until buying my G, but part of the reason for buying it was the RWD. I see a lot of FWD cars being considered for the next one. Not surprised to see AWD. I personally just DO NOT like driving a "performance oriented" FWD car. Performance and FWD do not go together imo
I'm 100% with you, and a little more, it never feels right for me when I drive a FWD car. I know there has been countless tests and comparisons on youtube and what not talking about how they're just as good, but it doesn't feel right.
For me, it has to be a RWD car and a proper 4 wheel drive (not AWD).
Old 08-03-2017, 07:51 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Keyword being almost.

I've yet to experience a FWD car that didn't have torque steer while powering into a corner. Fighting the wheel while a FWD car spins the tires just feels cheap, whereas a RWD car getting loose in the same way doesn't
None at all in the Civic Type R, as demonstrated here (skip to 10:37-the forum format didn't keep the timestamp):

Not that you should want one, I'm just saying the technology has come a long way.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
When I am done with school and have a steady job I am seriously planning on getting the Chevy SS Sedan. I love sleepers and the sound of that V8 is amazing. I love the Gs and other Infiniti models, but it is just way too common here in California. Drive down Highway 101 and G37s/Q50s are about as common as Camrys and Accords. One thing I like about the Chevy SS is that it is an unpopular car. I have only seen one here in my city, and it was in the dealership! For me it is always nice to have a rare car. Makes it stand out in the crowd. My current G37 is an amazing car, but it blends in way too easily especially the non sport version.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
^^^^Good choice there General!^^^^
Old 08-03-2017, 11:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
None at all in the Civic Type R, as demonstrated here (skip to 10:37-the forum format didn't keep the timestamp): https://youtu.be/UTURtQvSvHI?t=637

Not that you should want one, I'm just saying the technology has come a long way.
  1. That guys a douche
  2. Try the same thing while turning
  3. That car looks hideous

Have we really reached a point where people are arguing that FWD = RWD??
Old 08-04-2017, 12:10 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
my roommate test drove his friends IS350 F sport and he said the sound system (Mark Levinson) is the best he's ever heard in a car...any truth to this?
Lots of truth to it, Mark Levinson stereo systems that Lexus uses are some of the best. The best you'll probably find without going to a much more prestigious brand, unless you count the Hyundai Genesis Lexicon system which is amazing. Easily the best stereo system I've had or experienced much of in a car.

Originally Posted by General Grim
When I am done with school and have a steady job I am seriously planning on getting the Chevy SS Sedan. I love sleepers and the sound of that V8 is amazing. I love the Gs and other Infiniti models, but it is just way too common here in California. Drive down Highway 101 and G37s/Q50s are about as common as Camrys and Accords. One thing I like about the Chevy SS is that it is an unpopular car. I have only seen one here in my city, and it was in the dealership! For me it is always nice to have a rare car. Makes it stand out in the crowd. My current G37 is an amazing car, but it blends in way too easily especially the non sport version.
Instead you'll blend in to the 100's of Malibus. But seriously, I love the SS, and if they sold them in Canada I'd love to pick up a used one in a couple years.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
wow... you dont hear a chevy line being unique and rare too often...
Old 08-04-2017, 08:23 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
  1. That guys a douche
  2. Try the same thing while turning
  3. That car looks hideous

Have we really reached a point where people are arguing that FWD = RWD??
Calm down. Torque steer = the steering wheel pulling and tugging in a straight line. What it does in a corner is another story. And nobody said FWD = RWD. Just that FWD is OK on the street (in their opinion).

I don't know that I could go back. I would need to do a test drive first. I've had some pretty well sorted FWD cars and they were fun, but equally sorted RWD cars are just that much better. But you have to pay for it.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,594 Likes on 3,439 Posts
Sure, Doug DeMuro seems like a douch, and probably is. But his videos are interesting, and you got to respect how he carved a career out of youtube by simply putting himself out there.

And yes, the Type-R is a joke of a car. But Honda isn't marketing that car to adults.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:32 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Sure, Doug DeMuro seems like a douch, and probably is. But his videos are interesting, and you got to respect how he carved a career out of youtube by simply putting himself out there.

And yes, the Type-R is a joke of a car. But Honda isn't marketing that car to adults.
But it sure is priced for them

Totally get that it's got all these goodies and optio-

At the end of the day, you still have to explain why you dropped 50k on a Civic...
The following users liked this post:
r2dmax (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I actually, wasn't even aware of them until a few months ago. Find myself really eyeballing Malibus now to look for any SS.

I've only seen one in my area which is very pro 'Merica. So it's rare to see one. That said, Even my G is a rarity around here so I still feel special

Where I work though, they're (G) a dime a dozen, but none are modified in any way.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,594 Likes on 3,439 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I've only seen one in my area which is very pro 'Merica. So it's rare to see one.
I've never seen one, insofar as I know. I might have, but it didn't register.

Mike is bringing his modified, Holden-converted Chevy SS 6MT to the annual meet-up tomorrow. Drive down and take a look.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:40 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Badly wish I could but I have an appt. in NY at 10:30am then have to run my better half back down to MD for her Bachelorette party at 5:30pm. Going to be a long day. I was trying to squeeze it in since I think Mica mentioned possibly bringing the RX-7. Really wanted to check it out if he did since I've never seen one for more than a brief second.

Always had a thing for the 4th Gen GTO so the Holden/ Chevy SS speaks to me.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
Do people not like the Q70 with the 5.6 V8? I haven't read or seen much about it, but I thought I'd see a lot more of it here.
I find myself thinking about the M56 that preceded that car from time to time until I remember how heavy it is and I don't believe it comes in manual. I swore Road & Track had a review of a manual, but I just came across a reveiw where it beat a Mercedes, but it was an Automatic. It is legitimately quick with the power, but does not look to handle too well with all of the weight.

I've yet to experience a FWD car that didn't have torque steer while powering into a corner.
I think you mean power OUT of a corner. I agree with you that FWD definitely has it's limitations, especially on track. The limitations of street cars are so good today that most of the really good handling FWD cars you really have to overdrive them on the street to get any bad handling characteristics out of them. Good times to be an enthusiast indeed.

I thought a lot about the SS as well. It is a definite sleeper as it is butt scar ugly and even at the best angle still looks like a plain Jane Impala- even to us car guys. I would pick the Cadillac ATS-V used in a few years over that as it is marginally better looking, but has a seriously better chassis, brakes, suspension, seats, and a lot of room for improvements on the turbo motor.

Plus I think the ATS-V might be nearly as cheap as I keep reading that Chevy plans to axe it in the next couple years. It might be a hard car to pass up, even over the much better looking BMW M3 as I am sure the price gap will widen as the Caddy will most likely depreciate more.
The following users liked this post:
the_wolff (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Mindows7

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Being that ist is almost time for me to be upgrading from the G ive been looking into buying an e90 m3, leasing a f80 m3, been looking at some 335,435 but HATE the interior aswell as some s4's

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?