G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 08:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
The mark 2 rear taillights always reminded me of a Rubik's cube from the 80s. It is still a nice car, and you can get really good miles to the gallon if you get a diesel version. When I had another diesel golf mk1 I would get 25 kilometers per liter (about 55 to 60 mpg in American units) which had the 1.6 diesel engine. It didn't have any aerodynamics, and was basically a box. So when I see cars coming out with the new high mpg I just laugh it off since there have been economical cars for decades.

The roller skate observation, I can see it now Never noticed that they really do look like roller skates. I've been looking at importing a Scirocco into the US and have relatives hold it in Europe while getting the whole plan of importing sorted. Not too many Sciroccos in the US, and even then the US specs just look awful. This one is in Deutschland. There's a lot of Golfs in Europe selling for pennies if you're ever interested. I've also been looking at importing an Opel to America. Those cars are really fun, especially when they're RWD. An LS swap would be amazing for an Opel.

I know what you mean about cars getting really good mileage for a long time. Recently, I saw an old Nissan Sentra ad from the 80's for $5,000 and 40 mpg brand new. However, it was a lot easier to do back then when those cars were so light and not nearly as safe.

If you are looking for a Scirocco, keep an eye on Bring a Trailer. There was a really nice Scirocco on there a few weeks ago with a more modern turbo VW engine. Looked really nice and it was pretty cheap. I thought about it, but really have no need for it at the moment. It was still a very clean looking car.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:52 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I know what you mean about cars getting really good mileage for a long time. Recently, I saw an old Nissan Sentra ad from the 80's for $5,000 and 40 mpg brand new. However, it was a lot easier to do back then when those cars were so light and not nearly as safe.

If you are looking for a Scirocco, keep an eye on Bring a Trailer. There was a really nice Scirocco on there a few weeks ago with a more modern turbo VW engine. Looked really nice and it was pretty cheap. I thought about it, but really have no need for it at the moment. It was still a very clean looking car.
I have been on it a couple of times while car searching, but never really went as far as to register on it. I was surprised to find an Opel GT that was turbocharged selling for $35,000 on there the other month when it sells for a fraction of that price in Belgium. Same with some Sciroccos, I'm surprised seeing them for $10,000-$17,000 considering they sell for about $4,000 USD in Europe. I will need to check that site out more either way, thank you. I've seen one on the VWvortex forums a couple years ago while shopping for a cabriolet and it was selling for $2,500 which was surprising since it was in good condition with a very clean original motor. After this whole crisis is over I'm going to go out car searching since some of the prices on cars I have been looking at have dipped.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Rolling in a G37X and scoffing at a GTI. OK
I don't own a G37X, but sorry if my opinion hurt your feelings
Old 04-30-2020, 03:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Joyryde- Here is that turbo Scirocco I was talking about: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...cirocco-16v-3/

And here is one I would be interested in. It is at $20k now, but I bet it almost triples by the time it sells. So tough to find a clean R33 for a somewhat reasonable price right now: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...san-skyline-9/

Old 04-30-2020, 06:18 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
R33 is my least favorite, but that being said I still like it.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
R33 is my least favorite, but that being said I still like it.
Everyone has their favorite- most the R34 thanks to Fast & Furious. My least favorite is the R32 as it looks cheap and rough compared to the R33 and R34. I think the R33 has the most cohesive styling with rounded edges throughout. The R34 is not bad, but it is a mashup of rounded and square edges.

I think I like the R33 best because that is the same style as the 300ZX, 240SX, and even 200SX that I really liked back in the mid-late 90's. I think that was the last time Nissan made really well designed sporty cars. That seems to be coming back a bit with the new Altima and especially the new Sentra. Those cars are surprisingly easy on the eyes and sporty for the 1st time in a very long time. Hopefully, the new Z car looks even better.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:13 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

For me R32, R31, R34, then R33. For the ones I care about anyway. Stock they all look kinda boring though. Best stock looking from the ones you mentioned is def the 300ZX IMO. Still my 2nd favorite car after the MK3 supra.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:09 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Joyryde- Here is that turbo Scirocco I was talking about: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...cirocco-16v-3/

And here is one I would be interested in. It is at $20k now, but I bet it almost triples by the time it sells. So tough to find a clean R33 for a somewhat reasonable price right now: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...san-skyline-9/

I just registered and will keep an eye out whenever. That Scirocco has everything done to it, besides the ugly US spec headlights that would need work done Plus not many people here know about that car, which is a cool factor.

I like the Nissan Skyline R33 GTR. The Nissan Skyline R34 GTR on the other hand has become very overrated due to the younger generation idolizing it from Fast and the Furious and such. In fact, the R34 GTR is basically the same car as the R33 GTR and a few kilograms heavier, despite the mainstream belief that the R33 is the heaviest. They're all the same car structurally, just with different changes in stiffness and such. It's not a bad car by any means, but the prices that the R34 is heading to is insanity. The whole affordable tuner aspect is long gone for the R34. Cool fact, Nissan actually wanted to put a V6 into the R34 and were struggling financially when making them. They even had plans not to make a successor because they were doing horrible financially. I've seen a couple, and it's really nothing special for those who make a big deal about it. Sort of like never meet your hero style. They're becoming garage/show queens now unfortunately, and top it off with Volk TE37s and that huge fanboy/fangirls who know nothing about the car's racing pedigree, other than a fictional character who jumped over a bridge in Miami unharmed

I enjoyed the R32 a lot more, mainly because of the rawness and lightness. The weight distribution isn't as good as the successors, but still a very nice car either way. I noticed they are declining in price, many importers trying to sell them quickly and even a friend trying to offer me his spark silver Nissan Skyline R32 GTR. 300ZXs are really underrated cars, and a very good buy. Just the space to work on them is small.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:33 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 451 Likes on 379 Posts
There's a local R32 owned by a person that works near where I live - see it all the time. R32 isn't my cup of tea.

Re: R33 v R34, he's a good picture illustrating the styling differences (ignore the low resolution and white bois in Japan look of my friends)

R33 left, R34 GTRV on right. Car on right was selling, used in 2005, for $50USD equivalent.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:35 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

In 2005 at least, there were some dealers in Nagoya who knew what was up:

Old 05-01-2020, 06:39 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

R32 gets props from me because it slaughtered the competition when it came out. If you look at the Group A racing it made every other car look painfully slow. While the R33 and R34 made some improvements neither were as game breaking as the R32. I'd argue the new GTR was a bigger deal than those 2 even if it's not my favorite styling wise.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:22 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
The R35 was an assassin when it debuted. Love when you see cars released for such great value that slaughter competition way out of their price range. Might be an unpopular-opinion but the Mazda Speed3 at the time was a lot like that in the under $30k category 10-15 years ago. I'd love to see Mazda come out with another SpeedX version of their cars; they're just so...Acura now
Old 05-02-2020, 09:38 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

The last Speed3 that I drove was undriveable, but in a fun way. It was a Stage 3 or 4 level mod, and hit redline so fast the car just sat and spun its wheels through the first three gears.

Yes, more like that (not ironic)
Old 05-02-2020, 11:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,592 Likes on 3,437 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
The last Speed3 that I drove was undriveable, but in a fun way. It was a Stage 3 or 4 level mod, and hit redline so fast the car just sat and spun its wheels through the first three gears.

Yes, more like that (not ironic)
I've a friend who had a supercharger on his 2003 G35, with a Stage 2 clutch & flywheel. "Undriveable" is exactly the word I would use too.

Undriveable... and pretty awesome.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:58 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I also drove a friend's Neon SRT-4 with a stage 3 setup and it was the same. I think my words at the time was "giggle-worthy".
Old 05-03-2020, 10:07 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Ok, I found an R32 that I could live with. If you have time read through this build because it is insane. They spent $40k on the engine and transmission. Probably another $10k just on the brakes.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...r-v-spec-ii-2/

The following users liked this post:
iCrap (05-03-2020)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?