G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Funny, that is exactly the same thing I thought when I heard about the new warranty. Then I remembered that if I got a Golf R I might actually make it a whole month before I tune it from APR and void the warranty.
You could always go the JB1/4 route. The DSG cars seem to have a lot more potential and don't require a clutch upgrade.

I think I'd be happy at stock R power levels. Probably marginally quicker than my G, and better handling
Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 PM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I have an 18 mile commute to work and it takes a hour in good conditions. Winter is 2-3 hours.

My next car is a 2018 Nissan Leaf. It will drive for me in traffic (ProPilot!) and cost pennies per mile, saving me $3,000 per year

I will keep the G37 for the weekends.
I'm retired now, but when I used to have a job, I made sure I lived where public transit was easy. I worked in futures trading software & systems; I found a place to live that is a half block walk to Chicago's "L" Brown line, which dropped me right off at my office at the Board of Trade building- about 30 minutes each way, for $4 a day. This was a huge convenience, and in those days I read a book a week as I relaxed on the train. That way I could get by without a car at all, or just have an impractical toy for a car.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 306 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I have an 18 mile commute to work and it takes a hour in good conditions. Winter is 2-3 hours.

My next car is a 2018 Nissan Leaf. It will drive for me in traffic (ProPilot!) and cost pennies per mile, saving me $3,000 per year

I will keep the G37 for the weekends.
I have almost the same plan!

Hoping that by the time I get a house, I'll have space to store a weekend/road trip car (quite possibly the G) while parking the commuter EV in the driveway (ideally semi-autonomous capable).

Or depending on the time horizon, simply subscribe to an autonomous car service.

Originally Posted by milosz
I'm retired now, but when I used to have a job, I made sure I lived where public transit was easy. I worked in futures trading software & systems; I found a place to live that is a half block walk to Chicago's "L" Brown line, which dropped me right off at my office at the Board of Trade building- about 30 minutes each way, for $4 a day. This was a huge convenience, and in those days I read a book a week as I relaxed on the train. That way I could get by without a car at all, or just have an impractical toy for a car.
Wow this is almost my story to a "T".

When I moved to the city (DC in my case), made sure to be walkable to the Metro (Orange line for me). $5 roundtrip and I either sleep, zone-out or goof off on my phone. Not having to drive in traffic has really made a positive impact on my daily routine
Old 10-03-2017, 10:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You could always go the JB1/4 route. The DSG cars seem to have a lot more potential and don't require a clutch upgrade.

I think I'd be happy at stock R power levels. Probably marginally quicker than my G, and better handling
JB1/4 route? I would much rather prefer a stick shift.

The Golf R would definitely handle better in the snow, and no doubt be quicker in a straight line with a good tune, but on dry pavement a properly tuned G will run and brake circles around a Golf R when it gets twisty. The front wheel drive based AWD system, heavily weighted front end and fixed caliper brakes are not a great combination. Lots of understeer. You can get away with it with lots of trail braking, but it is not ideal.

I still really want a Golf R though. Great car. Lots of rumors about better brakes, power, etc. w/ new leader of their performance team. Here is to hoping all of that is true along with finally putting some wider fenders on the Golf R so you can fit some serious rubber on it. And how about a more performance oriented option without leather and all the expensive tech so they can spend it more on performance. I really like the cloth seats in the GTI.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

JB1/4 route?
Piggyback unit that is undetectable.

VW JB1 and JB4 Tuners, Intakes and Accessories - BurgerTuning.com

The Golf R would definitely handle better in the snow, and no doubt be quicker in a straight line with a good tune, but on dry pavement a properly tuned G will run and brake circles around a Golf R when it gets twisty. The front wheel drive based AWD system, heavily weighted front end and fixed caliper brakes are not a great combination. Lots of understeer. You can get away with it with lots of trail braking, but it is not ideal.
I'm surprised you think the G would run circles around the R.

I was looking at Car & Drivers lightening lap results from VIR

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ry-car-feature

Golf R: 3:12.3
G37S (Coupe) 3:17.5

Obviously we're comparing stock cars, but 5 seconds seems like an eternity. The R is only 0:0.3 seconds off the pace of the 370 NISMO. I'm sure, to your point, a properly setup G would close that gap, but if you start modding the R suspension, I would have thought it would have maintained an edge, aided in small part by being ~350 pounds lighter.

Straight line it would probably be about a wash. Slight edge to the Golf from a dig due to AWD, slight edge as speed increases to the G for it's high RPM power. I'm guessing the R would be quicker in the real word simply because it's easier to launch. Add a tune, and it's game over for the G.

I certainly agree about one point, the sliding piston calipers. It's nice they tried to dress them up, but they are ugly in comparison to the G37S BBK. That being said, BMW rocked single piston sliders on the E90 M3, and that's a performance benchmark
Old 10-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
A course track with a stock Golf R compared to a car modded like yours, or the OP's, or mine (all 3 which are very, very similar)... my money is on the G.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
A course track with a stock Golf R compared to a car modded like yours, or the OP's, or mine (all 3 which are very, very similar)... my money is on the G.
Interesting. So you think we've closed the handling gap to the point of being on par with a 370 NISMO?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Interesting. So you think we've closed the handling gap to the point of being on par with a 370 NISMO?
Yes. Take a RWD G, with the sport package so that you can have close-ratio steering and LSD, lower the car with upgraded springs & dampers, upgrade the swaybars, add some chassis bracing mods, add some high-performing tires, bump the power (and in my case, shift gobs of power into the low-end with 4.083 gears), and you have a 4-door Nismo Z, with more heft and more comfort and more practicality.

I had opportunity to drive Roger's stock Nismo Z 6MT this summer, and it's a great sportscar. But for me it was too small, too cramped and impossible to see out of in any direction. Lots of fun to drive, but with lots of compromise too. Now, it wasn't my car and I didn't know the area and the speed limits and traffic all conspired against me exercising the car to any significant degree (excuses, LOL)... however I very clearly came away with the sense that my G was more planted and had more grunt, although only marginally so.

That's my butt-dyno assessment, FWIW.

Of course, apply the same mods to the Nismo Z (which we would), and all bets are off.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-04-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Fair enough comparison Rochester.

I certainly don't consider the R much of an upgrade, more like a lateral move, albeit with more fuel efficiency and cargo flexibility. With recently life changes dictating more mileage, I'm starting to really look for a landing spot in 12 months or so. And as I'm sure you know, 6mt, 4 door RWD or AWD options are really narrowing.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

IDK how to advise you, Lego. A hot-hatch feels more like a young person's car, not that there's anything wrong with that. You may simply have to bow to advancing age and a limited market of cars that appeal to your values... and accept an automatic transmission into your life.

Either that, or give your automotive values a nudge into a different direction. Something luxurious, perhaps. To this day, I still stop & stare whenever a Lincoln MKZ drives by. I know it's a tarted up Ford Fusion, but can't seem to help myself from loving what I see.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I'm not quite ready to accept an auto yet, and even though I could swing it, I can't justify a ATS-V or 340, so it kinda pushes me to the hot hatches. At least I look young

5-6 years from now my kids will be old enough I can move to s 2 door, which will probably give me more options i.e. Mustang/Camaro
Old 10-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

5-6 years from now my kids will be old enough I can move to s 2 door, which will probably give me more options i.e. Mustang/Camaro
Then wait 5 - 6 years. I'm on a 10+ year plan with my G, and it's working out fine.

And believe me when I say I understand the appeal of a Mustang or Camaro. The power and the price and the retro heartstrings all speak to me in the same way I suspect they do to you. However, every time I actually drive one, I'm forced to recognize those cars are garbage. Unless you opt for a GT350, or a LTZ... and even then, they're crass, crude vehicles with untenable price points. I can't go back 30 years and relive whatever my automotive values were 30 years ago... just can't.

Let me put this another way: between domestic muscle and a Golf-R... I'd take the VW.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I like the R. Only problems it has are that it's a little boring in character, and the AWD system kind of sucks. Latter can't really be fixed but mods will handily take care of the former.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by future62
I like the R. Only problems it has are that it's a little boring in character, and the AWD system kind of sucks. Latter can't really be fixed but mods will handily take care of the former.
Most AWD systems in this class of car kind of suck. The Focus RS tends to overheat. The STi is certainly robust, but the EJ is ancient and has it's own issues.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:58 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
big fan of the R. My old roommate has a GTI autobahn and it's so much fun to drive

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?