G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
V8 Chargers better for the buck than A4 Quattro

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I wouldn't be so quick to sell Dodge short, Lego.... I've never been a Dodge fan, or much of an american car fan, but right now my wife and I own a Jeep Wrangler, Ram 2500, and Dodge Durango R/T, in addition to my Infiniti and Porsche. Out of all of our cars the Durango and Ram are by far the nicest highway cruisers, which also means we drive those two way more than we do the other cars. As an everyday driver I would take the Charger R/T over an Audi A4 in a heartbeat. IMO the Charger just drives better, has more space, sounds amazing, and feels just as tight and well put together as the Audi. Yes, the interior is due for an update, but the R/T model still comes packed full of technology, including heated and cooled seats and Apple CarPlay... standard! The Charger also handles pretty well for it's size, but it's definitely not a canyon carver... the A4 would definitely pull away from it in the twisties. It's just very hard to get past the visceral feeling you get from that Hemi V8... I know I can't. I think if you were to drive both back-to-back you might come away singing a different song.

I'm glad someone helped! Furthermore, the 2017 A4 Quattro and 2015 Charger R/T 392 are at the same price point. How would you live with yourself driving a 252 hp AWD sedan for the same price that you could've driven a 475 hp RWD sedan? ;D 2017 A4 quattro and 2015 scat pack compared below.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_cmp2.php

Old 11-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

:) I'm intrigued by tesla

Originally Posted by TheLocNar
Well. It’s been 14 months and 17k miles since I took delivery of my Tesla Model 3 Performance. Since then, no trips to a gas station, no oil/fluid changes. The only maintenance I’ve done is to switch over to my winter setup twice. Many firmware updates with new features added. I can now watch Netflix/Hulu/YouTube while parked. There are several games as well. Centipede, Lunar Lander, Missile Command, a beach buggy racing game, and Cuphead. And can’t forget the two updates that increased hp/tq by 5%. That makes a 10% increase in power since I got the car. No need for a tune/exhaust/intakes etc. I’m not complaining at all.
It's always nice to hear the impression of G owner of the Tesla. Be welcomed to tell us more as you discover more. What is your least favorite thing about your model 3?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Torque Lewis
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pato A. Vidal
I'm glad someone helped! Furthermore, the 2017 A4 Quattro and 2015 Charger R/T 392 are at the same price point. How would you live with yourself driving a 252 hp AWD sedan for the same price that you could've driven a 475 hp RWD sedan? ;D 2017 A4 quattro and 2015 scat pack compared below.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_cmp2.php

because for the same price point you get a car that is 2 years newer; spend a little more (less than 1k for jb4) to make the 17 A4 do the exact same 0-60 and quicker 1/4 with a nicer interior and awd. seems like a no brainer.
The following users liked this post:
Pato A. Vidal (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
How would you live with yourself driving a 252 hp AWD sedan for the same price that you could've driven a 475 hp RWD sedan?
By taking comfort in owning a better quality vehicle.

You keep thinking your somewhat narrow automotive values are the only ones that matter. That just isn't the case.

So you do your thing, and let other people do theirs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
Lego_Maniac (11-11-2019), Pato A. Vidal (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 02:03 PM
VQuick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had forgotten about the Acura TL. The SH-AWD is good on paper but I don't love the styling, the interior, the lack of folding rear seats.

Subaru: the last year the WRX had a hatchback option was 2014 I believe. The newer sedans are not bad, but still not a fan of the hood scoop and the interior quality. Legacy GT is a good idea, thanks. Still don't love the styling or interior but I'll take a closer look.

The Volvo S40/V50s might fit the bill, although they seem quite rare. Never been a fan of the Mazda styling; couldn't picture myself in one....

I do want performance car, but I want a balance with practicality and and fuel economy, so I'm favoring cars that are closer to 30 MPG highway. Rear legroom is a factor; it's pretty cramped in the Focus ST.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I've narrowed down what I'm looking for. Need to do some test drives now.
The following users liked this post:
Pato A. Vidal (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

Compare to 2015 Scat Pack if you want.

This is what this forum is about. You're interested in something, and I've provided an alternative view. Each of us have different things we want in vehicles. That is why both Audi and Dodge are still in business. Some people want things that others don't care so much for. I had a 20 car list before I chose my 2013 G37. If the A4 Quattro makes you smile, then that's the ride for you. Sorry if that wasn't clear earlier I have a preference towards RWD vehicles that offer incredible performance per dollar. But such vehicles have a tendency to forfeit some refinement. Some people buy an 2012 Audi S5 for 2012 Corvette Grand Sport money. In my mind, :O That's bonkers. But they do!
Old 11-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VQuick
I had forgotten about the Acura TL. The SH-AWD is good on paper but I don't love the styling, the interior, the lack of folding rear seats.

Subaru: the last year the WRX had a hatchback option was 2014 I believe. The newer sedans are not bad, but still not a fan of the hood scoop and the interior quality. Legacy GT is a good idea, thanks. Still don't love the styling or interior but I'll take a closer look.

The Volvo S40/V50s might fit the bill, although they seem quite rare. Never been a fan of the Mazda styling; couldn't picture myself in one....

I do want performance car, but I want a balance with practicality and and fuel economy, so I'm favoring cars that are closer to 30 MPG highway. Rear legroom is a factor; it's pretty cramped in the Focus ST.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I've narrowed down what I'm looking for. Need to do some test drives now.
Casting my vote for legacy GT. The WRX for people who don't want to look like you'll race everyone
Old 11-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
By taking comfort in owning a better quality vehicle.

You keep thinking your somewhat narrow automotive values are the only ones that matter. That just isn't the case.

So you do your thing, and let other people do theirs.
Noted. good point.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

I'll give the A4 another chance

Originally Posted by Torque Lewis
because for the same price point you get a car that is 2 years newer; spend a little more (less than 1k for jb4) to make the 17 A4 do the exact same 0-60 and quicker 1/4 with a nicer interior and awd. seems like a no brainer.
That does sound nice. Maybe I'll go drive a B9 and see what all the fuss is about
Old 11-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Torque Lewis
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That does sound nice. Maybe I'll go drive a B9 and see what all the fuss is about
Test drive the b9 s4...thing rips. jb4 puts them at around 3.8 0-60 and low 12's high 11's 1/4 mile times. test pipe or hfc shaves almost .2 seconds off the 0-60 and gets it slightly lower in 1/4 mile times. Some dudes did a hybrid turbo and theyre currently in the 10's.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by VQuick
You'll probably have to go back to 08-09 for a LGT (4th generation) and like all turbo Subaru's with the EJ, reliability is less than good. If you're not looking at the current generation with the 2.0 I'd probably pass, as I think all Subaru's tend to pop ringlands.

2010+ LGT (5th generation) has equal length headers and a bottom mount turbo. They're probably a little more reliable, but production was pretty limited. I had a 2010 LGT prior to my G37S.

Another point, I know you said you were avoiding Audi, but since you're open to VW, might as well expand to Audi, since VW owns them.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Was the new VW Arteon ever brought up here? Damn pretty car.

All wheel drive, and that funky hatchback pretending to be a sedan, like the Kia Stinger.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:39 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
It's always nice to hear the impression of G owner of the Tesla. Be welcomed to tell us more as you discover more. What is your least favorite thing about your model 3?
Honestly I’d have to think about it. They just added Spotify to the car andd it’s still a little buggy. As with all software, bugs may take time to fix, and there’s a chance that fix may bring more bugs. It’s really a minor issue, all things considered. The instant torque still puts a smile in my face even after all this time.

One thing to be aware of with an EV... winter/cold kills range by roughly 20% depending on driving habits. Faster = less efficient. The sweet spot for me on trips regardless of weather has been about 65-68 mph. You find yourself researching routes. Elevations and the like.

The Tesla nav. will route you to Superchargers along the way. You only need to charge just enough to get you you it next one. I add +5% just in case. And there is always abetterrouteplanner.com which includes 3rd party chargers for your more rural destinations. Range anxiety really isn’t a thing anymore.

Last edited by TheLocNar; 11-12-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:16 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
The Arteon is interesting, I'll give it that. AT only may place it out of contention for most in here. The $35k+ (AWD models) price tag puts it in a category that includes used models that give you a lot more car for the dollar (ex. 2013-2016 S4). That would deter me from considering it but it's a good looking car and something different.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RMB5190
The Arteon is interesting, I'll give it that. AT only may place it out of contention for most in here. The $35k+ (AWD models) price tag puts it in a category that includes used models that give you a lot more car for the dollar (ex. 2013-2016 S4). That would deter me from considering it but it's a good looking car and something different.
I actually agree with you, Rob. Been casually researching the Arteon since posting that pic, and while it seems like a really fine car, with lots to appreciate... it's also more expensive than it's worth (the R-Line can get close to $50k ), and the powertrain is lacking, with apparent turbo lag every reviewer complains about. All in all, it doesn't seem like a reasonable "next car" after the G. Not that I wouldn't like it, just don't think I'd love it.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?