G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have been considering a Q50 Red Sport- now looks like a good time!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
anyone know if the z will still have a manual when new z rolls out? if nissan goes all auto i hate to say that i may have to change car brands entirely. but if the z will still get a manual i may switch over to a z.
The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
anyone know if the z will still have a manual when new z rolls out? if nissan goes all auto i hate to say that i may have to change car brands entirely. but if the z will still get a manual i may switch over to a z.
I feel like with the Z they will probably keep it.. but who knows. Nissan has actually said they don't have a plan for the new Z yet.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
OP from WI. I work at IA Infiniti we also have a few for 10k off.
Cool! If you are ever up in the Appleton area you will have to stop by my Nissan store.

Originally Posted by RMB5190
I just turned the Q60 loaner back in yesterday and started discussing the models with the sales rep after he asked how I liked it. Asked him about 6 MT, DCT among other things and his response was that Infiniti, as far as he knows, is 100% done with Manual transmissions, no dual clutches, and convertibles are 100% done (if that matters to anyone). He followed up by saying their sole target is to produce luxury cars. This probably means that even the Black S project a lot of us have been following will be a AT, and not a DCT .
Did they get rid of the manual transmission in the coupe too?!?

Originally Posted by Rochester
It's a for-profit business. And the money isn't where the enthusiasts reside.

Just the other day, I read this from BMW. It's a sad change, for sure. But come on... be realistic. In another few decades combustion engines will be old school.

BMW M Exec Predicts End of the Manual Transmission ? Going, Going, Gone! | Automobile Magazine
I read this the other day too and another article saying that A/T transmissions are now so good that they will eventually replace the DCT as well. Yikes!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

how funny would it be if manufacturers starting putting in fake clutch pedals in autos to really mimic manual transmissions. i mean they already did the fake shifting and the fake leather boot. why not add a faux clutch pedal and be done with it. and wat will this fake pedal do u ask? a few ideas would be to turn on manual mode and or require the pedal to be pressed before shifting but not really doing anything in terms of shifting ability.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:49 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I drove a few cars with dct and freaking hated it. Sure the shifts were quick but anything except wide open throttle that thing sucked. I couldn't imagine creeping in busy traffic with it.

I definitely believe that artical is 110% correct. The manuals will be basically gone except in the sports car segment ie. Camaro mustang and challenger areas. I would be willing to lay down some good hard cash that there will be a huge drop in manuals in about 4-6 years.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Which DCT? The only one i really have used is the Audi S5 DCT.... I loved it.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
if nissan goes all auto i hate to say that i may have to change car brands entirely.
Question is, to which one?

I'd guess in 5 yrs or so, only options for an MT will be base model compacts, and even then, will be mostly available in other markets.

Hope I get over the stick shift when I'm ready to move on to something new. But by then, my car will probably fetch under $10K, so perhaps it'll stay in the stable long-term
Old 04-27-2017, 06:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I feel like with the Z they will probably keep it.. but who knows. Nissan has actually said they don't have a plan for the new Z yet.
I'm somewhat hopeful that when the Z gets redesigned and gets the current turbo V6s that it continues to offer a manual, and that filters down to the Q.

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
I definitely believe that artical is 110% correct. The manuals will be basically gone except in the sports car segment ie. Camaro mustang and challenger areas. I would be willing to lay down some good hard cash that there will be a huge drop in manuals in about 4-6 years.
Agreed, the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger and probably the WRX will be the holdouts for offering MT. I think we have a little longer than 4-6 years, but within a decade, manuals will be all but phased out.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
You can still get the Jag with a 6MT... but not the AWD V8, and not the 2.0L Turbo, just the RWD V6.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:52 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Just the Infiniti line was going all AT. If Nissan goes full AT with the Z line then they've lost their damn mind.

There is no MT offered in the Coupe or any model. It's a smoother shifting AT transmission. They were able to eliminate the harshness the G exhibits but if you thought the delay and gear hunt in the AT G was bad......it's nothing compared to the Q60 I drove. We're talking 2 Mississippi count delay if you stomp the gas going 40 before it down shifted to the appropriate gear. If you surprised it in any way - you were going to have a bad time.

I think the American markets will retain the MT due to the "muscle" car line. Lot of car enthusiasts in the states that appreciate the MT too much for Ford, Chevy, Dodge to let it go extinct. I for one, have GT350 in my 5-7 yr plan pending if the new Super Snake is released. Figured that would be my last hurrah before committing to luxury and comfort. If the Q60 coupe taught me anything, is that smaller coupes are definitely a no-go. I'm 5'8'' and when my damn head hits the roof there's an issue.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
With our 6spd. sedans and how tough they were to shift smoothly from the factory (mainly due to a tiny assist spring) it is almost like Infiniti wanted to make the manual bad so that people would say, "Yeah, the manual in that car sucks. Maybe I should look at an automatic." It is almost like Infiniti knew they would be phasing out manuals.

The new 370Z is supposedly going to debut at the Tokyo Auto Salon in October. I have heard lots of rumors about getting the Infiniti twin turbo 300hp/400hp, and possibly a 500hp hybrid model. No rumors about getting rid of the manual that I have seen yet through.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

i know theres a big thread in regards to people not being able to shift the manual smoothly so not saying theres no issue. but i just dont freaking get it . i drive it fine. and please i dont wanna hear the same responses over and over about how high the engagment point is blah blah blah. ive read the responses already.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

i know theres a big thread in regards to people not being able to shift the manual smoothly so not saying theres no issue. but i just dont freaking get it . i drive it fine. and please i dont wanna hear the same responses over and over about how high the engagment point is blah blah blah. ive read the responses already.
I was going to respond to your comment, but then decided I really don't want to.

blah blah blah
Old 04-27-2017, 02:57 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

lol yea pls dont. i came from g35driver so im familiar with the issues people have.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

lol yea pls dont. i came from g35driver so im familiar with the issues people have.
Absolutely. We should all know your history, and be sensitive to things you're forced to read.