Sponsored by:

Q50 R400 Red Sport...drool

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Q50 R400 Red Sport...drool

OMG my mother was given an R400 as a loaner while her JX was being worked on. Brand new Red Sport as a loaner! Anywho, I was able to dog the daylights out of it for an hour with 457 miles on the odometer.

Car has, as I later learned, many driving modes...which really affect throttle response and trans shifting. I felt no difference in suspension however. In regular mode the car sort of lurches forward and continues to lurch even after you have let off the throttle...maybe due to boost lag.

Sport and Sport+ mode = beast. Straight up IMO the car has too much power for the road. I guess that is a good complaint. Drag racing is this car's forte. You do not feel the 3800lb curb weight. It will pull, and pull, and pull, and pull. And that's the problem...for a normal 45 mph road you are blowing past that speed in like 2-3 seconds. Easy.

And the tires...oddly, were a Dunlop A/S. They would screech some as I turned (without throttle). I was surprised that in NC it wasn't equipped with either the best A/S tire or a summer tire.

Interior was nice, but honestly I was shocked that the bolstering in the sport seat wasn't as much as it is in my Sport Sedan. Nonetheless the seats were comfortable.

Overall I'd say I liked the car a lot, but I don't think I could pay $50-60k for one. I think the regular 300hp model will be a better option for most as it's usable power. I can't believe I just wrote that.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I had the 3.0T as a loaner and it was sufficiently fast. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to get a redsport as a loaner though.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
I know it sounds crazy saying "too much power", but I typically feel the same way in my BMW 435 when thinking about an M4. The 300hp/300tq (Well technically 320hp/332tq with M Performance Power Kit) pumped out by the 3L twin scroll turbo is honestly a lot of power. And then there are tunes for when that gets old... the joy of turbo cars.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:20 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I just test drove the 3.0 twin turbo and the car has too much power. I floored it and the car started sliding sideways till I was off the road LOL.

Definitely fun
Old 12-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Victory
Registered Member

The 3.0T loaner I got had AWD, so there was no slipping around for me.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I almost bought a IS350 and the one I drove felt pretty good. Spun the tires a few times. I thought about getting the ISF, but I wanted a 2011 and those are still over 35k. A co-workers mom has a Jag XF with the 550 hp, def fun.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:41 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i had to opportunity to drive the redsport on a track here sponsored by infiniti. its fast but it certainly does not feel fast. The handling is also nothing great, this was the version without the drive by wire steering and it was still pretty disconnected. Also no manual, overall not a fun car and quite bland and boring. there are lot of other options in the same price range which are a lot more fun and chuckable around corners than the redsport.

Il be sticking with my coupe for now.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:06 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I remember back in 2004 I drove an S4 at the dealer. I figure that due to the stiff chassis, it didn't feel as quick as it should. My G has std 328 hp. I would like to have more, but in California there aren't too many legal options. I doubt I will have it supercharged, but that seems like the best option, it is smog legal and 550 hp. I am considering an electric car next time. It would be nice to have all the hp and torque at any rpm range.

Other than the hp, I wonder what do you get with the redsport? With a tune you can get at least 100 hp. I would rather get that and a tune.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:10 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Presto
i had to opportunity to drive the redsport on a track here sponsored by infiniti. its fast but it certainly does not feel fast. The handling is also nothing great, this was the version without the drive by wire steering and it was still pretty disconnected. Also no manual, overall not a fun car and quite bland and boring. there are lot of other options in the same price range which are a lot more fun and chuckable around corners than the redsport.

Il be sticking with my coupe for now.
I will agree with this statement. Handling...wasn't as good. I was surprised given the overhaul package. This model was the ***** to the walls model. So it had every conceivable package, including the drive by wire (which was "ok"). Handling wasn't as crisp. Honestly though I'm confident the car, with coils and sways, would handle way better. That and better tires.

And the car for me FELT very fast. It's not like our cars where you have to dog the crap out of the motor to get some real oomph. This motor pulled from 2k...and hard. It has an excellent power band for being turbocharged.

Overall I was very impressed with the engine, sort hum hoe about the suspension, enamored by the better tech packaged, thoroughly disappointing in sound stage quality, and I though exterior wise it was very nice. Seats again still need more bolstering however.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:12 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Ugh... now I wish I would have demanded the dealer to give me a RS400 while they fix the scratch and dent they put on my car last time it was in for service.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:03 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
i tested both the 3.0T and the RS400, both AWD. i came away thinking the best overall package and value was the 3.0T w/Sport and no Tech (or driver's assistance package, or whatever it's called). the RS400 was a lot more money and didn't seem to offer a commensurate 'gain' in noticeable performance. of course, the lack of 6MT is a deal killer for now.

around town and even when pushed at 8-9/10 the 3.0T w/Sport felt every bit as stout as the RS400. i'm sure between 9/10 and 10/10 the differences may show themselves, but the payback in perceived value is hard to justify. and as others suggest, a mild tune to the 3.0T will close any real or perceived performance gap further.

Last edited by canucklehead; 12-15-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
i tested both the 3.0T and the RS400, both AWD. i came away thinking the best overall package and value was the 3.0T w/Sport and no Tech (or diver's assistance package, or whatever it's called). the RS400 was a lot more money and didn't seem to offer a commensurate 'gain' in noticeable performance.

around town and even when pushed at 8-9/10 the 3.0T w/Sport felt every bit as stout as the RS400. i'm sure between 9/10 and 10/10 the differences may show themselves, but the payback in perceived value is hard to justify. and as others suggest, a mild tune to the 3.0T will close any real or perceived performance gap further.
I would bet there is little difference off the track and if the 3.0T gets boring, im sure there will be an aftermarket tune that gets you within spitting distance
Old 12-15-2016, 02:52 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
that's funny. the Tacoma infiniti dealership didn't even have a redsport to sell, especially give as a loaner.

but they gave me a 2.0T coupe. I absolutely HATE with a burning passion everything about the interior of the new cars. and the drive by wire garbage made me unsure if it was actually me deciding where the car was pointing.

I'll never buy a newer than '13 infiniti again. but I love my car very much.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:59 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Originally Posted by IracknBack
that's funny. the Tacoma infiniti dealership didn't even have a redsport to sell, especially give as a loaner.
Why the heck do you think I told my mother to get her butt down to the office. She's had it for 2 days now! Ridiculous. Brand new too...I just have to wonder who authorized that car as a loaner. I am still flabbergasted that that was the car. Funniest thing was she didn't even as for that car. She has a JX35!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:59 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack

but they gave me a 2.0T coupe. I absolutely HATE with a burning passion everything about the interior of the new cars. and the drive by wire garbage made me unsure if it was actually me deciding where the car was pointing.

I'll never buy a newer than '13 infiniti again. but I love my car very much.
The 2.0T is not even available with DAS...