Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn still honks in hazard indicator mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:15 PM
jushag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn still honks in hazard indicator mode

I purchased my 2012 G37S 6MT Sedan back in April and I've had a nagging problem that's been easy enough to overlook until now. It seems no matter what I do, the car always honks the horn when I lock and unlock the door (both via the key fob and the button on the door handle). The first thing I obviously did was consult the manual, which provided an easy solution - just press lock and unlock simultaneously for a few seconds and it'll go between "Horn mode" and "Hazard Indicator Mode". When I push lock and unlock at the same time, it does in fact behave like the manual says - when it's supposedly in hazard indicator mode the hazard lights flash 3 times. But regardless of the mode I'm supposedly in the horn always honks once when locking and twice when unlocking (same behavior using the button on the door handle).

The car does have the navigation and technology package, I'm not sure if that's necessary info or not. One other odd thing that could perhaps be related is that seemingly random acts will set off the panic mode - most notably at least once I've had it set off by hitting the button on the door on the passenger side.

Because of the simplicity of the procedure to adjust the behavior of the horn chirp on lock/unlock, I have to think that there's something else at play here. Has anyone experienced anything like this or anyone have any suggestions on what to try? My next step will be either 1. Live with it, 2. Ask the local Nissan dealer about it and potentially bring it in, or 3. Buy a diagnostic tool of some sort to see if there are options available that can be adjusted to my liking.

I've scoured this forum and Google's results and have not had any success finding anyone with this particular problem (that couldn't be simply resolved by holding lock/unlock).

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!