Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might buy a 2011 g37x sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:11 AM
Rakarii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might buy a 2011 g37x sedan

Hey, found a decent deal on a g37x sedan 7AT, 49k miles and 2 owners. I've looked at the car once and it seems pretty nice. Unfortunately the rear seats don't fold down and the aux is a usb connect which is meh. It's not a huge problem, just a mild annoyance.

But anyway, what sort of things should I be looking out for when buying a 2011 G37x? And also are there any major problems with 2011 g37x's? I've read that people have had some weird acceleration lag and harsh downshifts, but I couldn't find any posts about it newer than early 2014. Is that still a common problem? Or has there been a fix for that? Any other issues to keep an eye out for? Sorry for the amount of questions, just wanna have more knowledge about this car before I purchase it.

-Thanks!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
[QUOTE=Rakarii;4092464]Hey, found a decent deal on a g37x sedan 7AT, 49k miles and 2 owners. I've looked at the car once and it seems pretty nice. Unfortunately the rear seats don't fold down and the aux is a usb connect which is meh. It's not a huge problem, just a mild annoyance.

But anyway, what sort of things should I be looking out for when buying a 2011 G37x? And also are there any major problems with 2011 g37x's? I've read that people have had some weird acceleration lag and harsh downshifts, but I couldn't find any posts about it newer than early 2014. Is that still a common problem? Or has there been a fix for that? Any other issues to keep an eye out for? Sorry for the amount of questions, just wanna have more knowledge about this car before I purchase it.

-Thanks![/QUOTE

I have a 2011 g37x. 45,000 miles bought it with like 20k on it. No issues really at all. The transmission is going to be harsh but here is some known issues that I have learned over the 25k miles ownership.

If I was you I would look for a 13 with navigation.
There is a few important updates done in 12-13.
The trans will be updated(still might suck) The Bluetooth might be updated and the paper gasket will be replaced with metal if you go 12-13.
They don't offer the x in anything other than automatic trans (I wish they had a 6mt option)
The xs is nothing more than a appearance package. No suspension/braking or performance upgrades. But it does look good so you will just have to look in person and compare
I'm sure there is more but to sum it up my 2 biggest mistakes were no nav and should of got a 2013. Hope that answers your questions.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:24 AM
08STLX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's funny a lot of peeps don't like the gearbox in the Gs. I have the 5 speed in my 08 and was never a fan; RPMs are too high at highway speed. Oh well, I hated the CVT in my Maxima but I will say my MPG's were much better.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Rakarii

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45

I have a 2011 g37x. 45,000 miles bought it with like 20k on it. No issues really at all. The transmission is going to be harsh but here is some known issues that I have learned over the 25k miles ownership.

The trans will be updated(still might suck) The Bluetooth might be updated and the paper gasket will be replaced with metal if you go 12-13.
They don't offer the x in anything other than automatic trans (I wish they had a 6mt option)
The xs is nothing more than a appearance package. No suspension/braking or performance upgrades. But it does look good so you will just have to look in person and compare
I'm sure there is more but to sum it up my 2 biggest mistakes were no nav and should of got a 2013. Hope that answers your questions.
I've heard about that gasket. How much would that be to replace? Also, do you regret getting you g37x? Like does the harsh downshifts n stuff make you regret it or is it something you have gotten use to, and doesn't bother u as much anymore? I've been able to test drive the g37x, but didn't go any faster than like 30/35 due to the route they gave me. It seemed fine to me. Wish I could have driven it at higher speeds.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:54 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 2010 g37xs and my buddy had a 2013 g37x and I could not tell a difference between neither cars.. if anything my car looked better

something common that no one talks much about is:

1. road noise, doesn't matter what special tires, the g37 is not a lexus. You can hear the engine, exhaust, and I think money was spent into building a performance vehicle vs a quiet one so expect road noise.

2. vibrations! again its not a lexus or a hybrid/electric vehicle. You will have slight vibrations here and there that travel to the steering wheel or overall vehicle. This is normal, especially for a used car. So long as your vehicle isnt bouncing all over the place like it's gonna explode then its fine. Subtle vibrations at a stop is normal.

the downshifts are quirky.. you can feel it 50 percent of the times.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rakarii
I've heard about that gasket. How much would that be to replace? Also, do you regret getting you g37x? Like does the harsh downshifts n stuff make you regret it or is it something you have gotten use to, and doesn't bother u as much anymore? I've been able to test drive the g37x, but didn't go any faster than like 30/35 due to the route they gave me. It seemed fine to me. Wish I could have driven it at higher speeds.
The price to R&R that gasket is in the $2k range give or take, here's an epic thread on that~ https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html
Old 11-30-2016, 04:33 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Yes I do regret it but I will loose a lot of money trying to sell the car right now as I've got a lot of money in mods. If I could do it all over again I would get a 12-13 6mt g37s sedan. If you go all out modding like it did it's much cheaper and more options with the rwd manual rather than awd capability and autragic trans on the x.
I LOVE THE AWD though. I like being able to punch it in the rain or anytime and never loose traction even on cheapo tires. But sadly it's handling steering breaking and performance is better in the g37s. The manual rwd makes more power and weighs less which wasn't important when I bought the car but now that's becoming very important in what I want out of a car.

To sum it up. If I was going to buy a g/z again it would be a manual and also it would be a modded one with lower mileage. If I got another g it would definitely be a sedan and not coupe.
I WOULD NOT BUY ANOTHER 7AT G37 unless it's a crazy deal like upscale speeds g37x for sale
The following users liked this post:
Upscale Speed (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Rakarii

Dang, now I'm not sure if it'd be worth buying it if I run into common problems that annoy other people. For 14.9k and 49k miles for a g37x, I thought it was a pretty decent deal. Would it be better if I stick with like a g35x? I would do many mods on a G, just tints, exhaust, intakes and wheels. More of a fun daily, but if it's annoying to drive idk what to do.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
I have an '09 G37xS, first year with the 7AT. It shifts absolutely horribly, more so in the downshifts. But I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did when I first got the car. There is a programming update available from the dealer, but I'm not paying for it.

As for the timing gasket, if it happens it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I don't regret buying this car a single day of owning it.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:25 AM
G_37X

Originally Posted by zonnie
I have a 2010 g37xs and my buddy had a 2013 g37x and I could not tell a difference between neither cars.. if anything my car looked better

something common that no one talks much about is:

1. road noise, doesn't matter what special tires, the g37 is not a lexus. You can hear the engine, exhaust, and I think money was spent into building a performance vehicle vs a quiet one so expect road noise.

2. vibrations! again its not a lexus or a hybrid/electric vehicle. You will have slight vibrations here and there that travel to the steering wheel or overall vehicle. This is normal, especially for a used car. So long as your vehicle isnt bouncing all over the place like it's gonna explode then its fine. Subtle vibrations at a stop is normal.

the downshifts are quirky.. you can feel it 50 percent of the times.
This guy is spot on. I was cross-shopping the g37 with a lexus gs350, build type is very different. The lexus drives and shifts smooth as butter and is very quiet, the G37 is more raw, you hear more exhaust growl, shifts rougher, but power is also rougher...which I liked. Its all about preference.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Rakarii

Thanks for the replies! They all have helped a lot. Wished I could test drive it to to experience some of these shifts and downshifts, but when you're only going max 30 (dealer is in the city) it's hard to get a feel for the shifts to see if it's something I can live with or will hate. If everything goes well I'll probably get it, but if not, then maybe a g35x. Dunno the difference between them except the g35 is 5AT. We'll see, hopefully everything pulls through alright
Old 12-02-2016, 07:13 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
bro, just get the g37x.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Thanks for the replies! They all have helped a lot. Wished I could test drive it to to experience some of these shifts and downshifts, but when you're only going max 30 (dealer is in the city) it's hard to get a feel for the shifts to see if it's something I can live with or will hate. If everything goes well I'll probably get it, but if not, then maybe a g35x. Dunno the difference between them except the g35 is 5AT. We'll see, hopefully everything pulls through alright
Most of the harsh shifting happens in city driving anyways, so if you didn't feel anything abnormal during your test drive, I would say it's fine. Highway driving is no issue (since you're not doing much shifting).
Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

I have a 11 with navi. What is difference with the 13 navi? Also what important updates are there with the 2012-2013 models besides the timing cover gasket?

I have a 2011 G37S (Rear-wheel drive) 7AT with 52k miles. I bought it used from a 1-owner with 26k miles on it already. Nothing about the up or down shift is harsh. I never took it to get a trans update, I am out of warranty and will have to pay.

I will say the up and down shifts aren't all that fast when using the paddle shifters (only available in the Sport models G37xS or G37S). Slight delay when using up and down shift paddles. It shifts faster than my previous 2008 5AT base model Acura TL did, but it's still not very fast.