Should I trade in 2012 My G37x sedan to 2016 Honda Civic or just sell it

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Chris Sun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I trade in 2012 My G37x sedan to 2016 Honda Civic or just sell it

Hey there!

here is my case:

I got this car from my dad, 44000mile, made at 2012. he retired and does not need this car at all. He has a 2001 Camry and rarely drive it.

Now I feel like this car for me is a little bit expensive even the car has not any problems. I drive to work so every month I might spend $150 on gas, I got drive license only 1 year, so the insurance cost is like $3400/yr, I didn't go to dealer for maintenance yet, only changed oil, engine oil and filter. I can't expect if the car has any problem in the future. I did math I probably need spend $6000 if the car didn't have problem in a whole year.

1.I'm thinking to trade this car in a fuel economy car like Civic or you guys have some recommendations. Will it helps me to save more money in the future?

2.I sell this car, borrow my dad's old Camry.

Just graduate from community college, i dont make good money at NYC.

can you guys give me some suggestions.

thank you!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 AM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
If you can afford it, I would keep the G37, it is very unlikely that anything will go wrong with in the next couple of years outside of regular maintenance.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by si_driver
If you can afford it, I would keep the G37, it is very unlikely that anything will go wrong with in the next couple of years outside of regular maintenance.
Doesn't sound like he can afford it lol. I would sell the car privately and pick up something used, maybe an older model Civic or Corolla. They run just as well as the new models, and can last forever. If you trade it in to a dealer it will almost always be undervalued. If you're really into the G37, save up and in a few years buy another one

Your 2012 G37 with 44k miles (average spec with Premium Package, good condition) is worth just under $20k according to KBB. A brand new 2016 Civic, decently equipped, is about the same price. Depending on dealer incentives, wiggle room, and trade in value you might be able to break even, but if I had the choice between a G37 and a brand new Civic for the same cost I would keep the G37. Of course the Civic will be less expensive in terms of fuel cost and maintenance over time.

If money/efficiency is your top concern I would ditch the G37 and go with a used, older model Civic or Corolla or similar (Fit, Yaris, Versa, Sentra, etc.). You can pick those up with decent mileage for less than $10k.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,592 Likes on 3,437 Posts
I believe we're experiencing a moment in history when the adjusted cost for gasoline has never been, nor will ever be, as inexpensive as it is right now. So take conspicuous advantage of that situation, and enjoy owning this heavy, entry-level luxury sedan that gets crappy mileage.

Essentially, you only live once. Don't discard the unexpected perks that fall in your lap.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:34 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
I think some may be a little bias on this forum but if youre that worried about the car and money problems getting a cheaper to maintain car is not unreasonable. that's the whole reason why people have daily drivers...

Selling the car privately will net you more money but you have to deal with the headache of selling it.

trading in the car will take away some taxes but will not give you as much money in return.

Subway is always an option in NYC
Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Chris Sun

thank you man, its very useful advice. Yes, my problem is how I afford this car.

I probably will sell this car and get a cheaper used car for weekend grocery.

I work at Brooklyn and live in Queens, so subway is not convenient.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:51 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Can you clarify some things?:

Do you own the car, or are you taking over the payments?

Would you be making payments on the 2016 Civic?

What's the insurance cost on the Civic?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Vicious37x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a parking spot or garage since you live in NYC?

Parking is really hard to find and just looking for parking in addition to the terrible nyc traffic will kill a lot of gas for this big engine.

Oil changes can be as cheap if you look online for coupons from your local nissan or infiniti dealership.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Take it from a guy who's only been driving a year and a half and bought a G37 as a first car. Keep it. I'm still going to school and working nights 5 night a week. My insurance is about 1000 less than yours is, but if you're worried about costs then do the simple maintenance yourself. Oil changes cost me 35 dollars to DIY. I live in NYC as well, so I know the struggles of ****e gas milage. Coast in traffic and keep the revs low if you're stuck in gridlock. It'll make a long term difference in gas savings.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:55 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I believe we're experiencing a moment in history when the adjusted cost for gasoline has never been, nor will ever be, as inexpensive as it is right now. So take conspicuous advantage of that situation, and enjoy owning this heavy, entry-level luxury sedan that gets crappy mileage.

Essentially, you only live once. Don't discard the unexpected perks that fall in your lap.
I said that when I lifted my '13 Tundra Crewmax and put big ol' tires on it. My mileage went from 14.5 - 11.3. I sold the truck 6 months later.

But I agree. This is literally the best possible car in the price range. Fun, relatively cheap, luxurious, fast, comfy........ I say keep it and overextend yourself. Just get a few credit cards, you'll be good........ LOL
Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
I said that when I lifted my '13 Tundra Crewmax and put big ol' tires on it. My mileage went from 14.5 - 11.3. I sold the truck 6 months later.

But I agree. This is literally the best possible car in the price range. Fun, relatively cheap, luxurious, fast, comfy........ I say keep it and overextend yourself. Just get a few credit cards, you'll be good........ LOL
If you think that's bad, try sitting in NYC traffic during rush hour.....and averaging 7.8 miles a gallon.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:44 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Civic? Maybe a used civic si. Those regular civics are for grandmas.Slow and ugly..for the same price as a g37? If your a performance car enthusiast keep the g37. If your not buy a used civic. They last forever and a used one can be had for less than 16k.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Chris Sun

Originally Posted by Ihtbealexxx
Take it from a guy who's only been driving a year and a half and bought a G37 as a first car. Keep it. I'm still going to school and working nights 5 night a week. My insurance is about 1000 less than yours is, but if you're worried about costs then do the simple maintenance yourself. Oil changes cost me 35 dollars to DIY. I live in NYC as well, so I know the struggles of ****e gas milage. Coast in traffic and keep the revs low if you're stuck in gridlock. It'll make a long term difference in gas savings.
What is the year of your car? Are You be fully insured? I'm using Progressive, just got a new quote about $1700 / 6 months for full insurance.

is that bad?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:19 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Sun
What is the year of your car? Are You be fully insured? I'm using Progressive, just got a new quote about $1700 / 6 months for full insurance.

is that bad?
How old are you, that is really going to be a factor in how much your insurance costs are? I'm about to turn 30 and have a perfect driving record and I pay $115 a month. Of course this is in the suburbs of Kansas City where there is little to no crime. Age, driving record, and your zip code make a huge difference in what your insurance rates will be.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:00 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Sun

is that bad?

Yes, that is atrocious insurance rates. Almost $300 / month? that's more than double I pay and is 50% higher I paid to insure 2 vehicles worth a combined $60k+. I'm 33 yrs old and my wife has had 3 wrecks and a speeding ticket. (she has since got her own policy. lol)

If you have anyone in your immediate family that was / is a veteran I think you qualify for USAA. I've had them for 10 years or so and been very happy.

Quick Reply: Should I trade in 2012 My G37x sedan to 2016 Honda Civic or just sell it