Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Got a better shot of the wrinkle finish. My DIY airboxes almost look aftermarket lol.

The following users liked this post:
Atowsley (09-10-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 06:28 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
The suction causes them to collapse. Go to Advance Auto and get a few feet of power steering line in the same size. It's not expensive and is reinforced so it won't suction shut. Plus, it looks cleaner.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 305 Likes on 240 Posts
Moving on to my next project -- new shift boot & **** -- because:
  • The OEM **** is kinda ugly and starting to peel
  • The OEM boot is cheap and makes noise
  • I'd prefer to have the shift pattern on the **** itself
  • I think black would be a neat contrast (and should tie-in with the black climate and radio controls)

So I'm going with a black alcantara boot with black OEM 350Z shift ****. Next step is to order a strap wrench for **** removal.

Here's the crude mock-up, hoping to complete by month's end:

Last edited by STownSaint; 09-05-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:28 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 451 Likes on 379 Posts
Needed a new battery today due to weak charging from crappy positive terminal.

Spent a few hours making a marine terminal work instead of the delicate birdcage from Nissan and cleaning all the connections of fusible links. Battery still dropped to 6v when (not) starting, so dropped $180 on a non-optima and non-interstate battery - everyone still closed due to Dorian so choices were slim.

At least I have a running car now to charge laptop and phone - the house power is still out from Wednesday night.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:30 PM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Slowly tearing the front end down so I can access the thermostat bolts that the previous owner totally effed up smh
Old 09-06-2019, 10:35 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by OldG2NewG
Slowly tearing the front end down so I can access the thermostat bolts that the previous owner totally effed up smh
What's your solution going to be?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:52 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
...At least I have a running car now to charge laptop and phone - the house power is still out from Wednesday night.
Hope your neighborhood didn't take much damage. I know what it's like.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:07 AM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
What's your solution going to be?
Either get it welded by a buddy of mines (if he's skilled enough to do it) or jb weld or marieweld some studs in the holes and use nuts to secure the thermostat and some black rtv. Was thinking helicoil but the holes are really effed up so that's not an option. Someone also suggested to drill the holes deeper and then tap new threads and use longer bolts but I don't l know how deep I can go with doing irreparable damage.

If that fails I'll grab a new engine and install it myself over the next few weeks. I've done it before and it's pretty simple but just time consuming and my schedule doesn't really allow for that much free time unfortunately.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:49 AM
zuriel
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished installing the rear sport sway bar I bought last week(from the private classifieds), I'm surprised by just how thin the stock xS one is. I also took the chance to check out what was going on back there after the alignment shop told me there was something missing that they needed to fix the camber in the rear right. Come to find out the camber bolt is in the wrong end of the arm, both left and right are missing the alignment washers and the left side has an aftermarket adjustable camber arm. Oh and the rear diff bushing finally popped. The car had a clean Carfax when I bought it but it definitely had some sketchy work done to it. Oh well, I'm glad I like working on my car.
P.S. if anyone has a single rear adjustable camber arm for cheap, I'm your guy.

Last edited by zuriel; 09-07-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:32 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
That's a bit odd that there is only one.... Maybe its stuck in there so they just gave up and left it.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,594 Likes on 3,439 Posts
What I did for my Sedan today -- I told the wife to expect $1000 hit around Black Friday, for a set of rotors. And then pads, lines and shop time for the installation, all that between Black Friday and next Spring.

That went... OK, I suppose. OK enough, LOL
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (09-08-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 05:07 PM
zuriel
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
That's a bit odd that there is only one.... Maybe its stuck in there so they just gave up and left it.
I thought so too. I didn't try taking any of that apart as I didn't want to mess with the alignment they did manage to get it too. I was just planning on getting new hardware for everything and taking it all apart then. I'm not too worried about anything being stuck though, nothing looked stripped and no rust, so the right socket and my trusty mallet should do it.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by OldG2NewG
Either get it welded by a buddy of mines (if he's skilled enough to do it) or jb weld or marieweld some studs in the holes and use nuts to secure the thermostat and some black rtv. Was thinking helicoil but the holes are really effed up so that's not an option. Someone also suggested to drill the holes deeper and then tap new threads and use longer bolts but I don't l know how deep I can go with doing irreparable damage.

If that fails I'll grab a new engine and install it myself over the next few weeks. I've done it before and it's pretty simple but just time consuming and my schedule doesn't really allow for that much free time unfortunately.
Sorry man. Keep us posted. Sending g good juju
Old 09-08-2019, 11:14 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Hope your neighborhood didn't take much damage. I know what it's like.
Our neighborhood lost a lot of trees and power for 2 days, but we were OK this time. In Matthew we lost an 80+ year old hickory tree - it's partner sits at a 30* angle and I was sure we were going to lose it too. But it barely moved..
Old 09-08-2019, 11:35 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by Rochester
What I did for my Sedan today -- I told the wife to expect $1000 hit around Black Friday, for a set of rotors. And then pads, lines and shop time for the installation, all that between Black Friday and next Spring.

That went... OK, I suppose. OK enough, LOL
I think my wife deliberately planned this year's trip to have us out of the country on black friday. On the other hand Germany. I'm still trying to figure out how to bring back ATE super blue brake fluid.

For the thermostat bolt woes - if they're wallowed out enough that helicoils won't work, then see if you can have someone tig up the holes. You can drill and retap the added material. Or, go to larger bolts (and therefore larger helicoils) - if clearance is an issue go with allen-head bolts.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?