G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 04:13 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by cmckenzie15
Painted my calipers today. Was only able to get the rears done.
Those calipers turned out great! Looks better than the OEM red paint IMO.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:15 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by fillup
Turn signal bulb decided it didn't want to stay in anymore. Only way to get it out was to remove headlight and since I already had all the parts for 2010 conversion, no better time than now. Also installed z1 intakes that have been sitting since black Friday last year. Still need to put on the 2010 parts.
Looks like a fun weekend project! You should consider doing a wire tuck and also a good time to detail the engine bay while your at it!
Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Those calipers turned out great! Looks better than the OEM red paint IMO.
Appreciate it! They are no where near perfect and was my first time using a multi stage rattle can system and it was super thing and ran very easily but am happy with the result. When they are in sunlight the anodized effect really pops.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:17 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Pulled out the two fuel level sensors and gave the contacts a nice cleaning. Filled the tank to the max, and so far, no check engine light. Fingers crossed that fixed it. If not... Going to have to drop some more $$ for new sensors. Along with new front SS brake lines, new rotors and pads all around, and new rear tires... So much to budget for...
Old 07-16-2019, 11:03 PM
cshel777

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blew a strut because of s-tech springs 😬
Old 07-17-2019, 01:35 PM
deepblue3
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I hope you got that car cheap. Smoke odor is nearly impossible to remove..... I would have passed on that car and found another. It's probably gone into all the foam and even the carpet.

Have you gotten it ozone treated? I've heard that helps.
I would have as well if I noticed while buying the car but it wasn’t apparent until I came back to warmer Texas weather and I bought out of state.

It has been ozone treated. The odor is fairly mild now and I’m pretty sure the seat cushions will do it for good.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:34 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by cshel777
Blew a strut because of s-tech springs 😬
Well, the G37 doesn't use struts. You meant damper.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:05 PM
fillup
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Atowsley
I have the Z1 Race intake and really like it. Butt dyno think it’s made a big improvement over the Injen short Rams it replaces. The install kind of sucks, but it’s worth it. They are quieter vs the Injen tho and I miss that.
Call me crazy, but I think it even quieted down my exhaust, which doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Looks like a fun weekend project! You should consider doing a wire tuck and also a good time to detail the engine bay while your at it!
Full detail coming up. Have to get the bumper and rear diffuser in for paint first. Also figure out what to do for side skirts/splitters.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:18 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Well, the G37 doesn't use struts. You meant damper.
Most people just call all shocks and springs struts I used to make the same mistake before someone on the forums here dropped some knowledge.

So, it's simple, a strut is integral, a shock and spring are not. The G has springs over shocks/dampers up front and spring on an arm and separate damper in the rear.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
It's a pointless correction. Kind of like when people complain when someone refers to their wheels as "rims".

Or when someone says their rotors are "warped". That one gets under my skin, but I've learned to let it go.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Aeroneer1
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by deepblue3
I would have as well if I noticed while buying the car but it wasn’t apparent until I came back to warmer Texas weather and I bought out of state.

It has been ozone treated. The odor is fairly mild now and I’m pretty sure the seat cushions will do it for good.
You'll also want to pull the cabin airfilter out, put a/c on full blast with fresh coming in from outside (as opposed to recirculating), coldest temperature, max air flow. Then pop hood and spray lysol (scented) through the intake vents for 30 seconds intervals about 5 times 1-2 minutes apart. Repeat every few weeks for a few months. The whole HVAC system is likely caked with the smell. Then obviously, have a new cabin air filter ready to go in.

Also consider removing seats and center console completely and shampooing carpets, headliner, and any other material sections (e.g. a pillars, etc)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

So cleaning the contacts on my fuel level sensors did not do the trick. Looks like Im adding another item to my long list of things I need to buy for the car in the near future.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
So cleaning the contacts on my fuel level sensors did not do the trick. Looks like Im adding another item to my long list of things I need to buy for the car in the near future.

I'm dealing with the same issue but been to busy to really deal with it much...I cleaned both of mine recently too...they didn't look that dirty btw (a little black on the contacts but no yellowing on the plastics at all)...now the gauge goes above a max when I fill up...I think maybe I need to do an ECU reset or open it back up and reseat the arms more carefully when I put them back in....I saw some posts by Flipmode007 on here and on G35driver...he did the contact cleaning and then changes his gauge cluster neither fixed it...he then changed the AC controller in the dash with a 20 dollar junkyard piece and reported it fixed the issue after a couple of years of fighting the issue...I think he said he bought extras too ...I ordered one on ebay for about he same waiting for it to come and time to install...I keep forgetting about it cause i dont even monitor the fuel gague out of habit really...I fill up every 2-3 days aftedr driving anything over 300kms...don't know if any of this helps but good luck and keep us posted...
Old 07-19-2019, 12:42 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

I'm excited to hear if the AC controller helps your issue. I have more pressing issues to address before I get to fixing this stuff... My problem is fuel showing too high and a CEL when I fill to the max. When the tank is at 1/4, it still shows 3/4 on the gauge. Seems its the same issue, but different symptoms across different cars. Mine had no yellowing at all, Shell gas ftw . A really good friend of mine is a former Infiniti master tech, and he said over 15 years, he changed soooo many of these units. Usually, if they go, they go at about 150-200k km (I just passed 155k km). Also said its 90% chance its the more expensive passenger side sensor. I'm going to play it safe and just replace both. After shipping. its like $250 CAD on RockAuto for both. Not too bad.

Right now my maintenance list is:
Front SS brake lines - driver side ss line has the plastic coating sheared off and the steel braid is now sliding inside the metal mounting bracket...
Rear brake pads - passenger rear, one pad wearing unevenly. May need to rebuild the caliper.
New rotors - just time to replace (will do fresh pads once I get there)
Rear tires - love my Michelins, but they do wear... If anyone wants proof of our RWD bias in the X, look at my bald rears lol.
Fuel level sensors

Im sure Im forgetting something

EDIT: OH! I need new bushings for my sway bars. Last few times I had work done on the car, had my mechanic grease them... making sure to tell him to use silicone grease or to leave it alone. He did it, twice. There was some strange feeling in the car that after some research lead me to diagnose bad bushings... I checked with him... he's been using lithium grease, and it damaged the poly bushings... Just ordered my own giant tube of silicone grease, but need to get new bushings now.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:31 PM
fillup
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
New shift **** to replace my worn out M one. Sits a little taller and boot doesnt clip on, but I'm not bothered by it enough to replace anything yet.

The following users liked this post:
ShuuraRG (07-30-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?