Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? (trade in g37)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 04:56 PM
rez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 2009 G37x sedan with only 98000 km. Car looks and functions perfectly.

A few days ago I read on the coupe forum about the issues with an oil gasket that affects 2008-2011 models. Since I'm out of warranty and the cost to repaird is expensive, I've become nervous and am now seriously considering a new car.

I'd like to get back in a stick shift vehicle, so my choices are:

-2016 Honda Civic LX manual 5spd($18k) (would save money by only having to put a few grand 2k max. Superb gas mileage)
-2016 Jetta 1.4t 6 spd. ($18k) (same as above. Superb gas mileage)
-Keep what I currently own and hope nothing goes wrong that's $$. also suck up the gas mileage and be happy about having 300+ hp.
-2012/2013 6 speed G37 sedan (would have to add about 10-11k)

What do you guys recommend I do?
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
manual g37 sedan (if you can afford it of course).
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
it all depends on what your future plans entail dude... but FWIW the g isnt gonna blow a gasket just because you read about it...figure out the number of cars that dont blow one etc, its a forum and they are bringing an issue about their car( a valid one albeit) but still just one issue that may or most likely may not happen. I have an 11 and plat to keep it until i drag/tow it to the dealership as trade for my next car, whatever that may be at that time, but in all seriousness , if you are reading the forums, there are going to be a lot of complaints/issues about any car so dont presume what happened to x will happen to y.
but if you are rolling the dice, go for the 1.4t jetta, good on gas and has decent passenger space and can be easily chipped etc for better hp gains.
The following users liked this post:
takeapieandrun (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 05:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Given the choices of crappy new cars out there, I'm holding on to my G for at least the next 8 years (remaining extended warranty). Near the end of the 8 years, based on how many issues I have with the car, I'll decide to keep it or get something else.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:55 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Unless if you downgrade significantly, it wouldn't even be that much more beneficial to switch to another car (given that there's nothing wrong with it yet). Switching costs, primarily dealership fees/taxes/license/etc will have to be accounted for, and who knows what kind of issues the other manual car has? I would stick it out and take care of the quality car you already have. Plus, who the hell WANTS to drive a Civic/Jetta?
Daddy Fat Sacs (01-23-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 06:39 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I highly doubt anything will go catastrophically wrong with it. These are very reliable cars.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Why not a brand new Viper? C'mon you only live once.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Maximus12105
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
I mean, in Japan the G35 was called the V35 Nissan Skyline. Most other people recognize a Skyline as a Nissan GTR. So, logic would imply that he just get a GTR. Its almost the same thing anyway!

Last edited by Maximus12105; 01-22-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Daddy Fat Sacs (01-23-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Habbibie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude I hate the first two cars you listed, just cause they're stick and slow as ***** doesn't mean they'll be any fun driving. And y exactly do u wanna give up your car? It's either you're one of those people who reads about a toothache on webMD and 20 minutes later they think they have gum disease & an infection too.

If there's nothing wrong with your car then KEEP IT. it's cheaper than any of the options you listed, and if you're such a nervous-wreck about a problem that occured to 1 in 5 cars then I feel sorry for you. If you can't afford your current g37 (which I don't understand y u even bought it in the first place) what's buying another for 10k more gonna do.... Plus 2-3k more for warranty since you're a nervous wreck.

If your g37 does break down and you can't afford to fix it then call your uncle, ur brother, ur step sister's half brother's dad, ur aunt Kinesha down in Louisiana. Someone somewhere can fix ur car for close to free.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
You should add a 2014 and up Mazda 3 GT (w/6 speed manual) to your list.
Great fuel economy, ok power, GREAT handling and fantastic steering feel.

Last edited by SonicVQ; 01-22-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:02 AM
Habbibie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
If he's already freaking out over the relability of Infiniti then I could only imagine what dodge will do to his mental state.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:51 AM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
There are NO other cars that I can think of in the price range that I would rather have the my G37. I am too worried about the gasket issues.

Therefore, I am installing an oil pressure sensor in the spring and will monitor it. Then decide if I need to trade it in or sell if the oil pressure becomes a problem.

Worst case scenario I will be attempting to fix it myself if the gaskets go.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:32 AM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Z1 motorsports sells the gaskets. It is a big job but I will be doing a DIY eventually with my blown motor.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/front-...et-p-8880.html
Old 01-23-2016, 10:01 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Given the choices of crappy new cars out there, I'm holding on to my G for at least the next 8 years (remaining extended warranty). Near the end of the 8 years, based on how many issues I have with the car, I'll decide to keep it or get something else.
You raise a very good point. I have been seriously considering selling my G 6MT Sedan and looking at the following cars as a replacement:

Audi S4, Audi S3, BMW 340i, Golf R

Here is what I would have to give up:

- steering feel from my G's hydraulic system
- limited slip rear diff. (expect S4)

Those are two major elements to making a car feel sporty IMO. It kills me that the future is going with electronic steering. It just does not feel the same. The S4 I drove had vague turn in and when I got back in my G after the test drive it felt so much better.

It is crazy that three of these expensive cars don't have a true mechanical limited slip. They all use throttle reduction and braking to control wheel spin. I don't want to be slowed down when taking an aggressive turn. I want the power shifted to the wheel with grip! Spend some time in the BMW forums and you will see what I mean. And the Golf R/S3 forums all say their car is FWD with the rear only reacting to wheel slippage. That sucks and not a true Quattro system. The S4 can be had a with a sports diff. Of course it is an option and you have to pay for it, but at least it is offered. It does make a noticeable difference, but that car is very nose heavy and it still plows on turns.

Subjectively, I think the G does not look as good as some of the new cars on the market, but these cars are just not as good.

To the OP - the G is one hell of car for the money and if you enjoy steering feel, keep your G.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:47 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
If you're looking for a replacement out of fear of defects and the cost to fix issue I think it should go without stating that any Volkswagen product should be stricken from the record, including an Audi. Cost to own and cost to maintain is well over any potential cost for the G.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? (trade in g37)