G37 Sedan

about to go on my 3rd AC Compressor in 80k miles, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:24 AM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Should be warranted for a year. Bommarito doing the work?
Bommarito did the first replacement, Plaza Motors did the second. I will never use Plaza Motors again, so I am going back to Bommarito today for the 'official' diagnosis.

Originally Posted by telcoman
I don't think so.

If you paid by credit card to the dealer you might be able to get another replacement at no cost. Speak to the service manager.
If that fails request a charge-back from your credit card

As others have mentioned if you are not using your AC on a daily or frequent basis then perhaps it is you causing the problem.

I put 171796 miles on my previous 06 G35 6sp and used the AC daily even in 10 degree NJ winter weather and never had a AC problem.

Set the temp to whatever is comfortable for you and leave it alone

Just my $.02

Telcoman

I use my AC plenty. I live in St. Louis. Summers get pretty brutal here. That being said, the past 2 months (after the 3rd compressor), it is safe to say I used the AC a lot.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:36 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bat6wc
Bought the car new in 2008. My AC compressor went bad and was replaced under warranty at 38k miles in 2011. 2 years later, I report AC issues again. Dealer looks at it and claims nothing is wrong. Today at 82k miles, I have no cold air again. Car is at the dealer where they tell me the compressor is bad again and needs to be replaced for $1400. How does this keep happening? Anyone experience this? Ive called Infiniti Consumer Affairs and opened a case. I have a feeling its an electrical issue rather than the actual part going bad.

anyone have any helpful info to share?

I am quite angry to say the least.
I only see one compressor replacement here in your story. How many compressors have actually been replaced? Will you post screen shots of your itemized service receipt for the prior AC work performed, please? Make sure to redact your personal information before posting.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:08 PM
bat6wc

Originally Posted by nelledge
I only see one compressor replacement here in your story. How many compressors have actually been replaced? Will you post screen shots of your itemized service receipt for the prior AC work performed, please? Make sure to redact your personal information before posting.
First compressor was replaced at 32,000 miles. 2nd compressor replaced around 80,000 miles (2 months ago). Infiniti has all my service records showing the work that was performed. Id have to get it from them.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:59 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
First compressor was replaced at 32,000 miles. 2nd compressor replaced around 80,000 miles (2 months ago). Infiniti has all my service records showing the work that was performed. Id have to get it from them.
Get them and post them up for us. I'm skeptical of a compressor failure in a few thousand miles without a mistake on the service end.

FYI:Never rely on a service business to keep your records exclusively. You should always have copies for your records.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:12 AM
bat6wc

Originally Posted by nelledge
Get them and post them up for us. I'm skeptical of a compressor failure in a few thousand miles without a mistake on the service end.

FYI:Never rely on a service business to keep your records exclusively. You should always have copies for your records.
I am almost positive it is a service mistake or misdiagnosis.

I actually have all my records printed out, they are just all over the place and would have to find them. Car is back at the dealership (different dealership) right now for an 'official diagnosis' so that it can be sent to consumer affairs. Id like to take action against the last dealer, but have no idea what actions I can take. I will not trust them nor go to them with my car ever again.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am almost positive it is a service mistake or misdiagnosis.

I actually have all my records printed out, they are just all over the place and would have to find them. Car is back at the dealership (different dealership) right now for an 'official diagnosis' so that it can be sent to consumer affairs. Id like to take action against the last dealer, but have no idea what actions I can take. I will not trust them nor go to them with my car ever again.
I really hate to hear this and my sympathies. My compressor has been very noisy since new and I've complained about it every time I've taken it in for warranty work, but they always said it was fine. I'd always countered how could it be fine when it's louder than the engine noise overall, but they never did anything about it. The noise was most noticeable when the outside temp was 65 degrees or higher, then disappear when things got up near 100 (which is super rare here). I've recently noticed that the compressor growl is nearly gone, so I hope that doesn't signal end of life for the unit. Hope you get yours sorted out soon -compressors should easily go for 10 years.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Scd0020

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C not blowing cold

So my AC got hot the two days ago and when I went to turn it down nothing happened. I looked under the hood and the compressor is not clicking on at all. I believe the clutch has gone bad. Which makes no since to me, the car is a 2008 with 66K miles. However it has sat on a dusty construction site for the past 9 months daily. Anyone think dust/dirt particles on the clutch/compressor assembly would cause the clutch to fail? Also I have found a compressor assembly for 650$ does anyone know of a website where I can get one cheaper? Taking the car to a dealer in Orlando tomorrow morning for an official diagnosis. I was quoted 1700$ over the phone for a compressor replacement and flush of the system. Has anyone tried to replace the AC compressor themselves? I'm sure it a very involved fix, but I have a second car I can drive so I have time and transportation if this repair takes a week or two. Any help would be much appreciated!