G37 Sedan

How does the maintenance reminder work

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 PM
mcola
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the maintenance reminder work

I bought a 2012 with Nav a few months ago and I'm still needing to figure things out, like the Maintenance Reminder. From what I see, there is a reminder in the instrument cluster LCD, and in the Navigation screen. Are these linked? How do they work? This is where I'm going with this...

I bought the car from an Infiniti dealer, and they changed the oil before I bought it. The reminder in the Nav system is set to remind after 6,000 kms and I just reached 6,000 kms since the odometer reading the service record last shows the oil being changed, and no reminder from the Nav or LCD. When does the reminder come up and where (LCD or Nav or both).

Should it start reminding me in advance or only after the interval is reached or past?

Can somebody please explain how the system(s) work.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 11:48 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
DO you realize that this is all explained in the Owner's Manual?
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (04-01-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:56 PM
e3phung

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thats a good question about the dash and navi screen being linked. I am pretty sure its easy to figure out just by changing the intervals and seeing if one affects the other. You can set the oil, filter, tires, and other maintenance to whatever mileage you want. You can also set the reminder on or off. I set mine at 5k miles for the oil and filter but turned off the tires since my wheels are staggered. I am pretty sure the dealership didnt reset it after they changed the oil.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 AM
mcola
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vqsmile
DO you realize that this is all explained in the Owner's Manual?
Do you really think I didn't look at the manuals first? I saw the the LCD portion is covered a little, but I didn't see anything about the Nav portion.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 AM
mcola
Registered Member

Originally Posted by e3phung
Thats a good question about the dash and navi screen being linked. I am pretty sure its easy to figure out just by changing the intervals and seeing if one affects the other. You can set the oil, filter, tires, and other maintenance to whatever mileage you want. You can also set the reminder on or off. I set mine at 5k miles for the oil and filter but turned off the tires since my wheels are staggered. I am pretty sure the dealership didnt reset it after they changed the oil.

The only place I know the reminder is set is in the Nav system. Its set to 6,000 kms and is set to "on" to remind. When the reminder comes on, do you know if it will come up on the Nav screen or the LCD. I would assume on the Nav, but it hasn't so far. I still need to check to see if and what the LCD reminder is set to. I assume if I didn't have the Nav, I could only set up the interval and reminder in the LCD.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Nav screen reminders and LCD instrument cluster reminders are completely independent of one another (at least on my 08). It should pop up a message every time you start the car on the nav screen once the interval has been reached. It doesn't give you any "advance reminder" telling you that you're about to reach the set interval.

Are you sure of what mileage interval the reminder is set to? Are you sure you've exceeded it? Are you sure it's set to "ON"? If so then I have no idea what's going on with it but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Post pics.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM
mcola
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Nav screen reminders and LCD instrument cluster reminders are completely independent of one another (at least on my 08). It should pop up a message every time you start the car on the nav screen once the interval has been reached. It doesn't give you any "advance reminder" telling you that you're about to reach the set interval.

Are you sure of what mileage interval the reminder is set to? Are you sure you've exceeded it? Are you sure it's set to "ON"? If so then I have no idea what's going on with it but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Post pics.

The Nav interval is set to 6,000km and reminder is set to "on". As for meeting the interval, when I called the dealer to confirm when the oil was last changed they said 34,214km, and as of this morning I'm at 40,230km.

I didn't have much time to play around this morning, but from what I saw, it looked to me like the interval in the LCD was not set.

I'll have to have another look later.

Thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2015, 12:15 PM
MistahGuy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't it tell you how far along you are? For example, on mine I am at ~2,000 of 3,000 miles for the oil change.. I have a '13 without Nav though so I think I can only use the dashboard screen..
Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by MistahGuy
Doesn't it tell you how far along you are? For example, on mine I am at ~2,000 of 3,000 miles for the oil change.. I have a '13 without Nav though so I think I can only use the dashboard screen..
You are correct, it does. If you get into the screen (either on the NAV or the instrument cluster) you can see how far along you are for each reminder.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Takran
Some Guy

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Was the progress reset when you had your oil changed? In the interval settings on the nav screen, there should be a colored bar - I want to say it's orange, but not 100% on that - that will run along the length of the setting bar that estimates how many miles (kms for you) you've gone since it was reset. If this is already progressed beyond the interval setting, it won't do anything until you reset the progress. The interval setting only allows a certain maximum # of miles/kms, so if you've put more on the car than the max since it was reset, that progress bar will run the entire length of the setting bar, and you might have thought it was just a decoration. When I bought my car, all of the intervals were at max progress, they hadn't been reset in ages (and it was a former lease, all maintenance was done by the dealer).

That's the only explanation I can think of if everything you say is true, barring a complete system malfunction. I have my oil changed at a local Mobil place, and they reset it for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if some lazy dealer tech didn't think/bother to.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 PM
mcola
Registered Member

Ok, here is an update.

I did have a look at both systems, and...

It looks like the LCD reminder was never set for an interval.

I knew for some time, the Nav had the interval and the reminder was set to "on".

On the way home tonight, the Nav reminder came on... go figure!

Thanks to all for your help.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:32 PM
g37Frost
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I'm adding new information that is not in the users manual or anywhere else I could find. In fact the users manual is all but useless in describing the functionality of this system.

The LCD display between the gauges is what we're talking about. Infiniti calls it the Vehicle Information Display:

The interval at which the maintenance reminders pop up is set in mileage. The mileage can be set only in one direction: up. If you want to set the mileage interval DOWN, keep going UP with repeated button presses until you hit 18500. With the next press, the interval displayed will then change to three dashes (–––) indicating the reminder is now OFF. Press again, and it cycles back to 250 miles, and you can proceed upward until you reach your desired mileage interval.
The following 2 users liked this post by g37Frost:
Baadnewsburr (04-25-2019), Rochester (04-26-2019)