Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade Chevy for G?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 PM
MetalMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trade Chevy for G?

New here and have been checking out the forum for a while now. I wanted to get some thoughts on my recent consideration to trade my 14' Chevy Silverado LTZ 4x4 for a pre-owned G sedan....I purchased the truck new with the intention on keeping it for many years, but have not been overly satisfied with it (overall bulkiness and poor turning radius, not to mention not fun getting stuck in traffic on my daily commute). I drove a few G37's and really like the feel of them. Overall responsiveness and ease of driving is nice.
My main concerns in trading would be buying a preowned one with limited history, and no service history...the few I've looked at had what appear to be clean carfax but little info except that they were personal vehicles (I've weaned thorough the leased ones). Particular vehicles that I am looking at are both X models, 2010 and 2011 with under 30k.

What do you guys think? I've been racking my brain with this and would like to hear others thoughts

Last edited by MetalMan; 01-09-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:17 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Traded my G37 sedan in for a Ram. I was tired of the stick shift, but loved everything else about the G.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site!
If you don't absolutely need an AWD I'd look into a RWD G, especially w/ the S pkg.
Should be able to find one in your budget w/ warranty. The RWD has a better selection of aftermarket mods~ comes from the factory w/ better suspension, seating, brakes and a limited slip rear diff,. also bigger wheels/tires. And if you prefer a manual gearbox it's only available in RWD w/ the S pkg.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:23 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Pretty much the main question is do you need a truck?
Old 01-10-2015, 12:02 AM
MetalMan

Thanks got the info guys. I do like the sport model, but am having a tough find finding one with low miles, and got the price point I'm after. Most seem to be previous leases which doesn't thrill me. What are other downsides to the AWD?

Quaker, that's another thing, I very rarely need to haul. Only thing is wood from time to time or things off the house infrequently but I can likely have that delivered to me if needed,
Old 01-10-2015, 12:42 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
I personally needed a truck like 3 times a year. I'd love a cheap, 4 cylinder truck. It's the bed I need, not towing, and the 4 cylinder would be sufficient for what I'd ever put in there.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I dont know that I'd avoid leased cars

A lot of 2012s are probably coming off lease soon, and it would give you more options to find a S. FWIW, I leased my car, performed all routine maintenance, and then some. Granted I'm going to buy it out....but still. How much could be screwed up in 24-36k miles?

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
I personally needed a truck like 3 times a year. I'd love a cheap, 4 cylinder truck. It's the bed I need, not towing, and the 4 cylinder would be sufficient for what I'd ever put in there.
Same here. And those 3 or 4 times a year I rent a truck at home depot. $20 for 75 minutes. And ive had the truck for way longer than 75 minutes and never got charged extra.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:59 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Same here. And those 3 or 4 times a year I rent a truck at home depot. $20 for 75 minutes. And ive had the truck for way longer than 75 minutes and never got charged extra.
Just yesterday, if I had a truck, I would have spent $81 on a ladder. Werner came out with a new ladder last year. When unfolded, it creates a platform 4ft off the ground. $150 is the price, but the Home Depot near my office had it on sale for $81. I wouldn't rent a $20 truck for something like that, especially during my lunch break. But if I had a truck in the parking lot, it would have been an impulse buy for sure.

So I guess my G37 saved me $81 yesterday.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
If you only need a truck a few times a year get an old truck like I did (1995 Ram 2500 4x4) cheap and only insure it with liability coverage (super cheap) then get the G37. The G37 is a drivers car. Depending on where you live will determine what model you should buy. I live in Maine and could not drive a RWD car year round so I opted for the X sedan. There are pro's and con's the both. If you live in a warm climate get an S sedan or coupe if you want the sportiest model. The X sedan is a great overall performer IMO and it's not easy to get it to break loose due to the AWD. There are more aftermarket options becoming available for the X versions now so I wouldn't let that deter you. It's not deterring me or many others on here from modifying the **** out of their X's.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:10 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
If you only need a truck a few times a year get an old truck like I did (1995 Ram 2500 4x4) cheap and only insure it with liability coverage (super cheap) then get the G37. The G37 is a drivers car. Depending on where you live will determine what model you should buy. I live in Maine and could not drive a RWD car year round so I opted for the X sedan. There are pro's and con's the both. If you live in a warm climate get an S sedan or coupe if you want the sportiest model. The X sedan is a great overall performer IMO and it's not easy to get it to break loose due to the AWD. There are more aftermarket options becoming available for the X versions now so I wouldn't let that deter you. It's not deterring me or many others on here from modifying the **** out of their X's.
Or just make friends with somebody who has a truck

I have several buddies who periodically borrow my trailer for their various Home Depot/dump/furniture runs. I never have to buy beer for my outside refrigerator. It's a win/win
Old 01-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Just yesterday, if I had a truck, I would have spent $81 on a ladder. Werner came out with a new ladder last year. When unfolded, it creates a platform 4ft off the ground. $150 is the price, but the Home Depot near my office had it on sale for $81. I wouldn't rent a $20 truck for something like that, especially during my lunch break. But if I had a truck in the parking lot, it would have been an impulse buy for sure.

So I guess my G37 saved me $81 yesterday.
But you would also be stuck driving a truck every day. Good point though.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:50 AM
MetalMan

Definitely appreciate all of the input.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:02 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I traded my 07 Tundra Double cab limited with a 3" lift for my '12 g37s sedan. Been very happy with it. I only towed with the Tundra once and used the bed maybe 3 or 4 times. It wasn't fun to drive on my commute, got terrible mileage, and I never felt like driving anywhere because of parking and driving it downtown sucked on narrow streets.

That said, the g37s auto sucks in stop and go traffic, or at least mine does. It's constantly changing gears and can get jerky. Luckily I almost never drive through traffic on my commute to and from work and get to enjoy the car.

If you don't need the truck I'd swap it out if you think you'd be happier with a car.