Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Canadian Car DRL Disable

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 02:27 AM
russianpb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any new thoughts on this matter? I also have a Canadian car here in US and I don't like the day time running lights illuminating front HIDs and Tail lights as well. Going to snap some photos of the relay tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:43 AM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm from Canada my g37s is a Canadian car with no DRL... They are probably gone.(burnt)

2009 model.

Ps: here in Calgary I see a bunch of muranos, and Infinitis suv with the left or right bulb gone.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by claudiohv
I'm from Canada my g37s is a Canadian car with no DRL... They are probably gone.(burnt)

2009 model.

Ps: here in Calgary I see a bunch of muranos, and Infinitis suv with the left or right bulb gone.
Doesn't the 09 also use the low beams for the DRL? If not it should be your fogs, do those work? And for how many of them have a burnt out light, it's probably because the dealer wants $200+ just for the bulb itself, and then another $150ish to change it out, and your average Infiniti owner isn't the kinda person who is going to do their own work so they just drive with it out instead.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
I have researched DRLs quite a bit. I have a US car in Canada and need to figure out how to get something turned on in the front to act as a DRL.

Basically, Nissan designed a DRL system that is not easy to convert. Many European cars can have DRLs turned on or off, by a simple software setting.

Bottom line, you will need to build your own system to disable the DRLs BUT allow the parking/head lights to work as normal.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I have researched DRLs quite a bit. I have a US car in Canada and need to figure out how to get something turned on in the front to act as a DRL.

Basically, Nissan designed a DRL system that is not easy to convert. Many European cars can have DRLs turned on or off, by a simple software setting.

Bottom line, you will need to build your own system to disable the DRLs BUT allow the parking/head lights to work as normal.
Why not just turn your parking lights or low beams on?
Old 04-03-2016, 10:22 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
I am not too worried about not having DRLs, but I could do that if I needed to. I am developing a better solution using the fog lights.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:32 PM
claudiohv

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Doesn't the 09 also use the low beams for the DRL? If not it should be your fogs, do those work? And for how many of them have a burnt out light, it's probably because the dealer wants $200+ just for the bulb itself, and then another $150ish to change it out, and your average Infiniti owner isn't the kinda person who is going to do their own work so they just drive with it out instead.

So the car has 4 light compartments per headlight/

So, the top small yellow light, in my car is white, the highbeans are found right in the middle and as well are my night lights.
now my fog/daylight are done. blinkers work np.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Still looking for a mod to be able to deactivate all lights with car still on. similar to how a car would behave when you start it with ebrake applied.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:33 AM
slowbird
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zonnie
Still looking for a mod to be able to deactivate all lights with car still on. similar to how a car would behave when you start it with ebrake applied.
yeah me too
Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 AM
Drive Clean
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts
Hey guys, I'm not too active on here but I did manage to disable my daytime running lights on my G37. This now allows me to drive with my halos on (which are wired to the parking light) and without the main HID bulb on.

My method may not work for all of you guys, but what I did was started getting involved with my local car scene and others who modify cars, from here I made a few friends who work at Nissan and Infiniti dealerships. You'll need an inside guy that can help you out because they will be using the Consult diagnosis tool to disable you DRL. Typically dealers won't disable your DRLs if you ask them, as they are required by law in Canada, this is why you will likely need to know somebody who can do it on the side for you. I don't remember exactly what menu it was on in the Consult program, but he was able to find it pretty quick.

What I did was I looked up the VIN on American G37 with the exact same options as mine on Autotrader. From here I gave the VIN to my buddy who works at Nissan looked up the VIN on the Nissan parts database, and he found the BCM ID. We took this BCM ID from the American G and rewrote my BCM with the American one. This allowed me to disable my DRL, and thankfully there were no other stipulations with this process. Been enjoying the no DRL life for over a year now

The following users liked this post:
Nico-derm (04-19-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wish my car looked like yours.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:26 AM
user 9783o978
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here - Calgary .
the HIDs come on when the car is turned on / same as the tailights

Very elegant way to fix the problem DriveClean - nice car bud

Last edited by user 9783o978; 02-18-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 AM
slowbird
Registered Member

Thanks for the info drive clean.

I don't know, nor can I imagine knowing anyone that works at Infiniti.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:57 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by zonnie
I have the 2009 and If my memory is still good, I was driving back to Ottawa from Montreal and one of the fog light wasn't working and while driving I turned on the fog light and the whole headlight went black, I drove for about 2 min in the dark and turned it back off. I even made a video but lost it when I lost my Iphone.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Awakence
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Drive Clean
Hey guys, I'm not too active on here but I did manage to disable my daytime running lights on my G37. This now allows me to drive with my halos on (which are wired to the parking light) and without the main HID bulb on.

My method may not work for all of you guys, but what I did was started getting involved with my local car scene and others who modify cars, from here I made a few friends who work at Nissan and Infiniti dealerships. You'll need an inside guy that can help you out because they will be using the Consult diagnosis tool to disable you DRL. Typically dealers won't disable your DRLs if you ask them, as they are required by law in Canada, this is why you will likely need to know somebody who can do it on the side for you. I don't remember exactly what menu it was on in the Consult program, but he was able to find it pretty quick.

What I did was I looked up the VIN on American G37 with the exact same options as mine on Autotrader. From here I gave the VIN to my buddy who works at Nissan looked up the VIN on the Nissan parts database, and he found the BCM ID. We took this BCM ID from the American G and rewrote my BCM with the American one. This allowed me to disable my DRL, and thankfully there were no other stipulations with this process. Been enjoying the no DRL life for over a year now

Hey i have a buddy at infiniti and i want to try this. He is asking if he needs any of my bcm info or just an american VIN with the same option/rim as my car. Also since you "disabled" your DRL are you able to toggle it on and off?

Quick Reply: Canadian Car DRL Disable